Prospect Info: The 2015 NHL Entry Draft Part II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
I'm well aware of Provorov's status and not saying I would be afraid to draft him. He's basically the least Russian kid available through the draft in a long long time. I just know that from an actual Colorado Avalanche perspective, there has been a tendency to avoid Russians the last number of years.

Sure, new management team etc, but at the end of the day until they actually show a great willingness to draft (or trade for) Russian players (aside from Varly, obviously), there remains doubt on my end that they would be enthused about bringing one in.

I hope I'm wrong.

Ultimately I think the fact that Provorov is 6'0 probably hurts him more than the fact that he's Russian, at least when weighing his value from a Colorado perspective.

Roy has been adamant about getting bigger and stronger and a 6'0 blueliner is below average size-wise in the NHL.

I honestly think, given we're in the top 10, they'll take the BPA then draft bigger in later rounds. That said, if Provorov does fall to us at 7-10 I'd be surprised if they passed him up. Kid could be a top liner if he meets his potential. Though I don't see him getting past either of PHI or CBJ, assuming he doesn't go sooner.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
What if BPA is a smaller forward? Don't see them going in that direction. And how do they determine BPA within that tier, it all depends which attributes are valued higher. All those guys will be good players, it depends what you are looking for.

S E P H

Cloud IX
Mar 5, 2010
Toruń, PL
I'm well aware of Provorov's status and not saying I would be afraid to draft him. He's basically the least Russian kid available through the draft in a long long time. I just know that from an actual Colorado Avalanche perspective, there has been a tendency to avoid Russians the last number of years.

Sure, new management team etc, but at the end of the day until they actually show a great willingness to draft (or trade for) Russian players (aside from Varly, obviously), there remains doubt on my end that they would be enthused about bringing one in.

I hope I'm wrong.

Ultimately I think the fact that Provorov is 6'0 probably hurts him more than the fact that he's Russian, at least when weighing his value from a Colorado perspective.

Roy has been adamant about getting bigger and stronger and a 6'0 blueliner is below average size-wise in the NHL.
We have too little information if Roy likes players who play bigger than their size. In reality, would Roy pass over Brendan Lemieux or Jesse Gabrielle if they were perfect in each spot? We really don't know because he has never mentioned that. So we are leading to assumptions of what he might or might not like.

You don't need to be 6'3" to be tough, Rinaldo is like 5'10" and is one of the toughest guys in the NHL. I'm not targeting you RS, but just mentioning this if Roy ever reads HFBoards.

And as you know RS, Provorov is not a weakling in any regards, even if he's 6'0", it is not a weakness in his game at all. As I said before, Hepple could convince Roy that he is too good not to pass up on.

Nov 29, 2003
Screw You Blaster
Visit site
I think the Avs draft board will reflect size a bit. If it comes down to Rantanen, Crouse, Werenski, Provorov I wouldn't be surprised if their order was Crouse, Werenski, Rantanen, Provorov. I hope they end up in a spot where they basically have to draft Provorov, I think he has potential to be the best defensemen in this draft (I think Hanifin, Werenski, and Provorov will all be very close during their careers), and either him or Werenksi would go a long ways in terms of fixing our defense. However, Crouse and Rantanen could be perfect players for this team too. I would almost rather finish in the 8-9th spot and have our choice basically made for us.

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
So who's gunna sneak into Crouse's place and plant enough [mod] there for him to fall to our pick? Provorov and the others will be excellent players in their own right. But Crouse has been making me love him like I did landy...and I was helf-jokingly suggesting we tank for Landy while we were still in the playoffs the year before.

Cousin Eddie

You Serious Clark?
Nov 3, 2006
Drafting players based on size is a road to disaster.

True, especially if that's all they care about. I'm scared Roy is going to get hypocritical. Talking about how Pracey drafted the same player over and over. Roy keeps talking about getting bigger which is fine but if every player he picks is just a big player with possible upside this year he is doing the same thing, just with a different style of player.

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
Last year was especially varied so let's see. I agree if every player is the exact same that doesn't help either. If they get their big winger in the first they probably draft other varieties of forwards. I just don't know that they will go small for a while. Just because they want a few 6'3-6'4 guys they all will be.

Ararana

Sep 22, 2013
Two Rivers
What if BPA is a smaller forward? Don't see them going in that direction. And how do they determine BPA within that tier, it all depends which attributes are valued higher. All those guys will be good players, it depends what you are looking for.

Drafting players based on size is a road to disaster.

If players are closely ranked I could see drafting down one or two rankings for size. However, I wouldn't pass over Provorov simply because of his size. If they preferred an offenseman over a defenseman I could understand.

I have faith in Patty and Joe, we'll be walking out of the draft happy.

Freudian

Clearly deranged
Jul 3, 2003
So who's gunna sneak into Crouse's place and plant enough [mod] there for him to fall to our pick? Provorov and the others will be excellent players in their own right. But Crouse has been making me love him like I did landy...and I was helf-jokingly suggesting we tank for Landy while we were still in the playoffs the year before.

Landeskog fell to 4th-5th on some draft lists because of his injury and lack of production in juniors.

Crouse had 51 points in 57 games in the OHL. It might get some teams to start worrying about his upside and pass on him. Meanwhile Marner and Strome put up a lot of points.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan

He'll fall on his own. Hope someone takes him before us though

cgf

FireBednarsSuccessor
Oct 15, 2010
w/ Renly's Peach
Landeskog fell to 4th-5th on some draft lists because of his injury and lack of production in juniors.

Crouse had 51 points in 57 games in the OHL. It might get some teams to start worrying about his upside and pass on him. Meanwhile Marner and Strome put up a lot of points.

That would be nice, but I don't think we can expect that kind of incompetence from the teams in front of us. The kid is going to be a monster.

freeboy

Feb 27, 2012
Sunny Colorado
You totally missed my POINT.. my point is.. HOW does i affect the thinking for this year ?
On point and topic ...

Last edited:

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle

6'0"?!

Better forget the NHL and try out for the Lollypop Guild Provo!:sarcasm:

Foppa Frossa

May 11, 2006
Denver, CO
"We have Wood doing well, Butcher here (at DU) and Storm," Roy said. "We have a lot of Ds that are coming along. Now we have to look at the forwards."

I've had a feeling for a while now that this upcoming draft will focus heavily on building forward depth. We're doing "okay" when it comes to defensive prospects.

The Mars Volchenkov

Mar 31, 2002
Colorado
If the Avs were as high on Barkov as they were rumored to be, maybe they'll really like Rantanen too. I'm pretty sure we're going forward with that top pick.

landy92mack29

May 5, 2014
saskatchewan
Ya Bleackley is our only legit top 6 potential forward while we have multiple top 4 potential defencemen. We still need another top pairing D though which is why Provorov/Werenski should be the targets in the 1st. Plenty of potential top 6 forwards will be left in the early 2nd but no top 2 D will.

Last edited:

FoppaForsberg*

Ya Bleackley is our only legit top 6 potential forward while we have multiple top potential defencemen. We still need another top pairing D though which is why Provorov/Werenski should be the targets in the 1st. Plenty of potential top 6 forwards will be left in the early 2nd but no top 2 D will.

Besides Bigras, who?

tigervixxxen

Optimism=Delusional
Jul 7, 2013
Denver
burgundy-review.com
They aren't guaranteed top pairing D. Lots of D should be available in the early second, and they have decent upside too. I get that the top D in the draft are a notch above but it's like the next tier of D is all worthless from how people perceive it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad