The 2014-2015 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I think he would as well.

The downside is that not having a RH shot near the net on a right side overload really limits the options from the half-wall and especially the corner. There's no way LH shot like Berglund could post up for a forehand shot, or quickly drop back into the mid-slot for a one-time opportunity. It makes backside cross-crease plays more difficult as well.

Very true as well.

It seems statistically unlikely that we would have only 2 out of 9 righties in the top 9. It's not that big a deal but in just such situations it would give us more flexibility if we had another righty. Maybe if we upgrade a winger this year he will be a righty...

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
Very true as well.

It seems statistically unlikely that we would have only 2 out of 9 righties in the top 9. It's not that big a deal but in just such situations it would give us more flexibility if we had another righty. Maybe if we upgrade a winger this year he will be a righty...

I'd bet 2 out of 9 isn't FAR off the average. I'd guess that average might be about 3 out of 9. There were always a lot more left-handed shooters than right when I was growing up, as most boys in Canada start playing when they are very young and have little arm strength. I suppose that the right-handed ratio is significantly higher among US-raised players, as a lot of them start playing at later ages. But, I'd still bet that The NHL average is short of 4 out of 9 righties.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I'd bet 2 out of 9 isn't FAR off the average. I'd guess that average might be about 3 out of 9. There were always a lot more left-handed shooters than right when I was growing up, as most boys in Canada start playing when they are very young and have little arm strength. I suppose that the right-handed ratio is significantly higher among US-raised players, as a lot of them start playing at later ages. But, I'd still bet that The NHL average is short of 4 out of 9 righties.

I do remember reading just this about Canadian boys having a higher left-handed rate, but since only 1 or 1.5 of our top 9 are Canadian (another seemingly unlikely result :laugh:) I was not sure if the same was true for European countries.

Kshahdoo

Mar 23, 2008
Moscow, Russia
It looks like a finnish netminder (I don't remember his name) is going to leave Sibir on account of weak Ruble. I can see Enlund doing the same...

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Awesome choice to be my replacement :nod:

I can Google guys like Radulov and Kovalchuk and it comes up with a number. Is that just speculation also?

The numbers you see for Kovalchuk and Radulov are probably correct, but they aren't officially confirmed by the KHL. The top earning contracts in any field are going to be difficult to keep secret, but below that becomes more speculation. When we're talking about Sobotka, all the $4m talk came from North American sources from what I seen. How good is their information? Were they told $4m or the equivalent of $4m when you factor in taxes, etc.

It looks like a finnish netminder (I don't remember his name) is going to leave Sibir on account of weak Ruble. I can see Enlund doing the same...

Yeah, I can see Enlund looking at his North American options now. The talk of a KHL exodus is a bit early at this point, but it is a big factor for non-Russians.

Someone like Kovalchuk or Radulov? I don't think it makes a big difference to them. They aren't changing their money from Rubles, so unless inflation starts really kicking in then they aren't as impacted financially.

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes

The numbers you see for Kovalchuk and Radulov are probably correct, but they aren't officially confirmed by the KHL. The top earning contracts in any field are going to be difficult to keep secret, but below that becomes more speculation. When we're talking about Sobotka, all the $4m talk came from North American sources from what I seen. How good is their information? Were they told $4m or the equivalent of $4m when you factor in taxes, etc.

Yeah, I can see Enlund looking at his North American options now. The talk of a KHL exodus is a bit early at this point, but it is a big factor for non-Russians.

Someone like Kovalchuk or Radulov? I don't think it makes a big difference to them. They aren't changing their money from Rubles, so unless inflation starts really kicking in then they aren't as impacted financially.

OT, but shiny new name. It seems like a lot of our posters end up becoming moderators here :laugh:

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
That Sibir finnish goaltender is Mikko Koskinen. He is 2009 NYI draft pick (2nd round, 31st overall). He is 6'7' and he went to SKA.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
I do remember reading just this about Canadian boys having a higher left-handed rate, but since only 1 or 1.5 of our top 9 are Canadian (another seemingly unlikely result :laugh:) I was not sure if the same was true for European countries.

I'd guess that Europeans would be somewhat closer to the Canadians' rate than that of USA. So, The Blues are probably quite unusual as far as team makeup goes.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I love Lindbohm's physical play and generally not taking crap. Ideally I'd want Lindbohm - Cole. I know Cole is still making mistakes but I feel he still brings offense that Jackman cannot but we all know Jackman isn't going anywhere

Quaz

Mar 15, 2006
St Louis
Looks like Lindbohm will get to stay with the team longer if Gunner is out for a couple games. Hopefully Jaybo is back this week.

Meatball

2018-19 Stanley Cup Champions! :3
Jul 1, 2014
St. Louis
Lindbohm is exactly the type of D-man we need right now. Big, physical with an edge. Pretty sure he leveled somebody when the Isles got pissy with Brodeur today. Nice to have a physical presence to balance out the mobile D-men. Can't wait to have an extended look at him if Gunnar is out for a bit.

I'd like it if Cole and Jax can at least keep being a pain in the ass to play against too.

aceoutdoor

Jun 7, 2012
Lindbohm is actually younger than Parayko. Bright future for him and hopefully both of them. Petro should take a few tips from rookie Petteri on playing the body.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
Lindbohm is actually younger than Parayko. Bright future for him and hopefully both of them. Petro should take a few tips from rookie Petteri on playing the body.

If Parayko lives up to the hype, a Lindbohm/Parayko pairing on the 3rd pairing would be awesome in a couple of years. :hockey:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad