The 2014-2015 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

Kasparov

May 29, 2013
i think if we do end up trading bergy, it's going to be on a high note rather than if he "tanks." I think...and maybe this is completely wrong but, maybe army learned his lesson over the Stewart deal.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Armstrong doesn't really strike me as a GM who enjoys playing the stock market (that is, timing moves/trades with the primary goal of always maximizing value).

More specifically, if he didn't think Berglund fit (or had the chance to fit) on this team, I don't think he would sit on him for months on the off-chance that he might get a bit more back in a trade. I think he would trade him now for the best deal he could get.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If Berglund is just a little bit quicker, I think he will be very valuable on our shutdown line. The wingers don't have as important of a role, but having 2 capable big centers will make that line not miss a beat defensively without Steen. Might downgrade a bit on the breakouts without Steen's speed, but defensively, they won't miss a beat.

Also looking at the rentals, there really isn't anyone out there this year that would be an upgrade.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Our top 9 looks ****ing awesome. We can put any of the three lines out there against top players and I'd be perfectly comfortable. So everybody should stay fresh.

I guess if you had to find a weak link it'd be Lindstrom or whoever the 3rd RW is, but even then, really all he needs to do is provide some offense which he seems to have the talent to do. With Steen and Stastny on that line to start, it will be anchored pretty damn well at both ends of the rink. Both of them are so smart and good at everything.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I really think Hitch will feel comfortable having any of our top 3 centers going against any level of competition, and I hope he gets less obcessive about matchups against certain teams. Sure, when we go against Chicago, let Backes take on Toews, and there are some others, but hopefully he tries to keep Backes and that line fresh for the playoffs.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
Fabbri is getting a look in place of Lindstrom tonight and Lindbohm gets another game. Fabbri might have an actual chance.

Apr 30, 2012
St. Louis, MO
The longer Fabbri stays with the big club during camp, the more I think he may actually make the team. He must be impressing Hitch and army as much as he's impressed me.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
I think Lindbohm is here till gunny is ready. Benefits both parties

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Something interesting to consider is the whole Babcock situation. There's a chance this could be Hitch's last season, and with talks between Babcock and the Red Wings being held off, you have to wonder if he's looking to test the market. It's pretty likely he wants to coach a contender, I think the Blues would be a great place for him.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
I really think Hitch will feel comfortable having any of our top 3 centers going against any level of competition, and I hope he gets less obcessive about matchups against certain teams. Sure, when we go against Chicago, let Backes take on Toews, and there are some others, but hopefully he tries to keep Backes and that line fresh for the playoffs.

I still see him putting the Backes line in those situations.

I'm looking forward to seeing Stastny in Hitchcock's system. I think Hitchcock's match-ups are going to be a heads I win, tails you lose kind of situation. Its the coaches around the league that are going to be pulling out their hair trying to shut down all 3 of the top 9 lines.

Lindstrom IS the weak link, but there are capable players who could step in if he falters. I'm starting to prefer trading Paajarvi for whatever they can get and keep Fabbri. He'd get spot starts, practice with the big club, and then slot into the top 9 whenever someone is out with an injury. And its entirely possible he could bump Lindstrom out anyway.

I'll be pretty surprised if Mueller ever makes it to the big club. I'm also wondering where Jaskin slots into things next season, assuming he's in the AHL this year. The Blues are pretty stacked, but they're going to have to shed some salary next year and make room for young/cost-controlled players to have roles.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I wouldn't like using up a year of Fabbri's eligibility with the way the cap is raising and the way teams are throwing money around. The Blues are going to have tough decisions to make in the very near future. A couple deep playoff runs will help. On the other hand, the Blues are so close to being a cup team, and Fabbri could be a huge part of it if he's as good as advertised.

tfriede2

Aug 8, 2010
The longer Fabbri stays with the big club during camp, the more I think he may actually make the team. He must be impressing Hitch and army as much as he's impressed me.

Yeah, I originally said I would be "extremely surprised" if Fabbri got a 9 game trial, mostly because I didn't think they would expose Mueller to waivers, which they just did! I may have to eat some crow, but it would be worth it as long as Fabbri keeps this up.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Anyone think Reaves may be expendable?

If the team view Ott as a "tough guy role" player (I realize he's not a heavyweight) would they consider moving Reaves and keeping Paajarvi? (No, I don't think so either. But I do think Paajarvi is going to be traded soon, and for probably a measly return.)

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I assume that means he's likely Chicago bound. He hasn't looked all that great from what I've seen.

From everything I read he hasn't looked terrible just playing to much of a European game. Maybe going down to the AHL and playing NA hockey again for a longer period will help him find his game.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad