The 2014-2015 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Would have been smarter for him to play the 1-year contract and be UFA next season. If he does opt out and return, it looks more and more like a temper tantrum in hindsight.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
I want him back ASAP.

If we can get him (probably no way because of the playoff team he plays for in the KHL) before the NHL playoffs, he would be a HUGE help, and would eat his arbitration salary.

Schwartz/Steen - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen/Schwartz - Stastny - TRADE/Oshie
Sobotka/TRADE - Backes/Sobotka - Oshie/Backes

THERE IS NO WRONG OPTION

Berglund is DEFINITELY definitely gone (at latest) at the draft.

If Sobotka comes back for an arbitration year, we get a great deal, and get to roll the same lines, with the option of bringing in a bigger trade piece (more cap room, more players to trade) and get to decide if Jaskin/Rattie/Fabbri are ready to make the team. The options are limitless.

If the kids aren't ready to jump, maybe we include them with a trade after a year where Rattie dominates the AHL, and Jaskin improves his skating. Our trade block (potentially) becomes:
Oshie
Berglund
Rattie
Jaskin
Cole
Jackman
Elliott
Sobotka

So glad to hear that Sobotka is willing to return.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Would he be playoff eligible since he was still our property? I don't know how those rules work, but Radulov played for the Preds in a similar situation.

Anyway, yes I'd take him back in a heartbeat because he's a good player. Also wouldn't mind dealing him if he's truly intent on playing elsewhere(which seems quite likely). Wonder what kind of offers were on the table for him. Plenty of teams desperate for a center.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
plugging Sobotka in to Lindstrom's spot would be a pretty decent boost. Our PK has also been really bad this year and he is always a great PKer

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I want him back ASAP.

If we can get him (probably no way because of the playoff team he plays for in the KHL) before the NHL playoffs, he would be a HUGE help, and would eat his arbitration salary.

Schwartz/Steen - Lehtera - Tarasenko
Steen/Schwartz - Stastny - TRADE/Oshie
Sobotka/TRADE - Backes/Sobotka - Oshie/Backes

THERE IS NO WRONG OPTION

Berglund is DEFINITELY definitely gone (at latest) at the draft.

If Sobotka comes back for an arbitration year, we get a great deal, and get to roll the same lines, with the option of bringing in a bigger trade piece (more cap room, more players to trade) and get to decide if Jaskin/Rattie/Fabbri are ready to make the team. The options are limitless.

If the kids aren't ready to jump, maybe we include them with a trade after a year where Rattie dominates the AHL, and Jaskin improves his skating. Our trade block (potentially) becomes:
Oshie
Berglund
Rattie
Jaskin
Cole
Jackman
Elliott
Sobotka

So glad to hear that Sobotka is willing to return.
Has Sobotka said something specifically about being willing to come back to the Blues?

Wanting to return to the NHL isn't necessarily the same thing.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
Since he has to come back to the Blues if he returns to the NHL (either we trade him or he plays), and assuming that he would like to win a Stanley Cup, he will either join us in the playoffs, join us next year, or be traded. Either way, we win.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
Since he has to come back to the Blues if he returns to the NHL (either we trade him or he plays), and assuming that he would like to win a Stanley Cup, he will either join us in the playoffs, join us next year, or be traded. Either way, we win.
I don't think the benefit to the Blues is quite that cut and dried. Coming back just for a playoff run (giving no time to build any real chemistry with his line) and then losing him for nothing might not help much, and trading him isn't exactly a clear win for us either.

At the very least, I think it's too early to be writing him into Blues lineups. Last we heard form him before he left was that he was demanding to be traded. Wanting to "return to the NHL" doesn't mean that's changed.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL
As of right now, IMO, anything we get from him (trade or otherwise) is a plus.

It's not like our third line is clicking right now. At worst, he comes back for the playoffs, eats his arbitration, and does nothing to help us in the playoffs (a la Berglund or substitute random player depending on the game).

Isn't it true that he will AT LEAST bring us back what Berglund has for us now, and at the worst, still allows us to more freely move Berglund now, rather than later?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
As of right now, IMO, anything we get from him (trade or otherwise) is a plus.

It's not like our third line is clicking right now. At worst, he comes back for the playoffs, eats his arbitration, and does nothing to help us in the playoffs (a la Berglund or substitute random player depending on the game).

Isn't it true that he will AT LEAST bring us back what Berglund has for us now, and at the worst, still allows us to more freely move Berglund now, rather than later?
I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the bolded. Could you clarify that a bit?

I don't see any real benefit to moving Berglund now (as opposed to after the season) unless it is part of a package deal for a clear upgrade. That sort of move isn't dependent on Sobotka being here.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
If Sobotka is hellbent on not playing for the Blues but does want to return to the NHL next season then maybe other GMs would be interested in him at the trade deadline and we could flip him for a good 3rd line RW (basically replacing Lindstrom/Paajarvi). That player could then help us the rest of this season and into the playoffs. I would love to get Sobi back but if he's unable to make up with Army/Hitch, we might as well get something for him.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
plugging Sobotka in to Lindstrom's spot would be a pretty decent boost. Our PK has also been really bad this year and he is always a great PKer

That would be huge. When is Sobotka's season over in the KHL?

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
I could see Sobotka being a trade chip to tip the scales for us getting a scoring upgrade. Not worth trading him on his own, but put him in a package with Berglund and another piece or 2 and it becomes pretty valuable.

Oberyn

Prince of Dorne
Mar 27, 2011
Yeah, the two scenarios I prefer are either simply adding Sobotka to the roster or package him for a better player. Not interested in prospects/picks unless it's a 1st in 2015 or a high end prospect.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
If we add him into a deal for Eberle or Yak, since we know we are talking to them or for some other player, then it's a huge win.

Vincenzo Arelliti

He Can't Play Center
Oct 13, 2014
Lisle, IL

I don't see any real benefit to moving Berglund now (as opposed to after the season) unless it is part of a package deal for a clear upgrade. That sort of move isn't dependent on Sobotka being here.

I mean, isn't Sobotka's ability at his worst still just as good as Berglund right now? Sobotka is the better player, I think (slightly less capable on defense,slightly more capable on offense, better at center, PK, and has better chemistry with most of our players).

Bringing Sobotka back on the roster gives us at minimum the same thing Berglund provides us, and sometimes more. This allows us to feel at least slightly better about trading Berglund NOW than we might have without Sobotka willing to return; we have a suitable replacement for him, so it's like Berglund was never traded, yet we get an upgrade somewhere else.

I guess my point is that there is no downside in bringing Sobotka back - whether or not we trade Berglund now or later. Having him on the roster at worst gives us a player that can take Berglund's spot, and at best is a player that is an upgrade to Berglund for less money. Who cares if he stays long term?

Of course, if he does, awesome.

If he decides to come back next year, we can, at the very least, use him as a trade piece.

All of this is better than him never coming back to the NHL. If he comes back (in whatever way), the Blues are better for it.

Last edited:

LGB51

2019 STANLEY CUP CHAMPION ST. LOUIS BLUES!
Oct 9, 2013
Arcola, IL
Well at least the TV ratings for Blues games hit another record high this past month. 4.9 for the month of November, and apparently averaging a 4.3 share on Blues game nights. That's gotta be good for team revenue right.

The Note

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 13, 2011
KCMO
Do TV ratings have a financial effect on the Blues? I really have no idea, I just thought it was a gauge on how "popular" they are in the market. Don't they just get a set amount from the TV contract with Fox Sports? Someone more educated than me would be helpful lol.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Do TV ratings have a financial effect on the Blues? I really have no idea, I just thought it was a gauge on how "popular" they are in the market. Don't they just get a set amount from the TV contract with Fox Sports? Someone more educated than me would be helpful lol.

Well, increased ratings would come into play in negotiations the next time the Blues renew their contact with FSMW but I think they're current contract with FSMW goes another 8-10 years so they won't be reaping any reward for the increased ratings for a while...assuming I'm correct on the 8-10 yr timeframe. That's what my old memory is telling me but I could be wrong so if someone knows differently, please say so. :)

Thallis

No half measures
Jan 23, 2010
Behind Blue Eyes
Well, increased ratings would come into play in negotiations the next time the Blues renew their contact with FSMW but I think they're current contract with FSMW goes another 8-10 years so they won't be reaping any reward for the increased ratings for a while...assuming I'm correct on the 8-10 yr timeframe. That's what my old memory is telling me but I could be wrong so if someone knows differently, please say so. :)

http://m.sportsbusinessdaily.com/Journal/Issues/2013/09/30/Franchises/Blues.aspx

It expires in 2018, if this article is correct. It's still amazing how much Checketts screwed this franchise over for the near future.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I believe the FSMW deal runs until 2018.

It was signed in late 2010, so your time frame was good. Just seemed to have missed a few years passing by. ;)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad