The 2014-2015 Blues Discussion Thread - Part III

BadgersandBlues

Jun 6, 2011
I'm happy Hitch called Stastny out. We've given him a lot of different linemates, and it's not working with any of them. If he needs Tarasenko to be an effective playmaker, then he's not worth 7 million dollars. He's played with Steen, Oshie, Backes, and now Schwartz. He hasn't elevated any of them. One of the main selling points on Stastny was that he was a great 2 way player that wouldn't need to adjust much to play in our system. So far, I've been underwhelmed by his performance on both sides of the puck. I'm wondering if the injury is still bothering him, he seems very tentative going into the boards, and doesn't seem to win many puck battles, something I thought he was pretty good at in years past.

At this point, I want to see us roll:
STL (With Schwartz, Steen brings that line down)
SOB (With Steen, b/c Steen brings that line up)
Berglund (until we trade him) Stastny - MPS
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves.

We know our #1, #2, and #4 lines are all really solid with this setup. Does it suck for Stastny to deal with Berglund and MPS? Sure. But I'm tired of caring about who he plays with. We KNOW these other combinations work, and they give us a legit top 6, and one of the better 4th lines in the league. Until Army can retool our third line with some better players for Stastny to pass to, I'm very happy just making sure he plays D, and chips in on the PP.

I am still happy we got Stastny b/c he adds depth to an area we never had before, it allows us to package Berglund for more scoring (If anyone is still in contact with P9s, tell him I'm finally ready to accept that Berglund for Bobby Ryan deal he kept championing), plus we had no idea Lethera would be this effective this quickly in the NHL. If we didn't have Lethera, I bet we'd all be a lot happier with Stastny, b/c I see Tarasenko making him look really good.

Edit: Ew, I just looked at Bobby Ryan's contract, nevermind.

Last edited:

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
My thoughts as well. Till Stastny elevates his game..he can be on the whipping boy line

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
Thanks Easton and Thallis! I'm glad we only have 4 more years on that deal. 4 years is still a long time away but shorter than what I was thinking. And yes, Checketts absolutely took a lot of long-term cash from the franchise in exchange for immediate cash...which he put into his pocket. Then again, that also helps explain why Stillman and his group were able to buy the franchise for so little so I guess it balances out in a way. Still, glad Checketts is long gone.

Backes to the wall

Oct 20, 2014
West Coast Canada
I'm happy Hitch called Stastny out. We've given him a lot of different linemates, and it's not working with any of them. If he needs Tarasenko to be an effective playmaker, then he's not worth 7 million dollars. He's played with Steen, Oshie, Backes, and now Schwartz. He hasn't elevated any of them. One of the main selling points on Stastny was that he was a great 2 way player that wouldn't need to adjust much to play in our system. So far, I've been underwhelmed by his performance on both sides of the puck. I'm wondering if the injury is still bothering him, he seems very tentative going into the boards, and doesn't seem to win many puck battles, something I thought he was pretty good at in years past.

At this point, I want to see us roll:
STL (With Schwartz, Steen brings that line down)
SOB (With Steen, b/c Steen brings that line up)
Berglund (until we trade him) Stastny - MPS
Ott-Lapierre-Reaves.

We know our #1, #2, and #4 lines are all really solid with this setup. Does it suck for Stastny to deal with Berglund and MPS? Sure. But I'm tired of caring about who he plays with. We KNOW these other combinations work, and they give us a legit top 6, and one of the better 4th lines in the league. Until Army can retool our third line with some better players for Stastny to pass to, I'm very happy just making sure he plays D, and chips in on the PP.

I am still happy we got Stastny b/c he adds depth to an area we never had before, it allows us to package Berglund for more scoring (If anyone is still in contact with P9s, tell him I'm finally ready to accept that Berglund for Bobby Ryan deal he kept championing), plus we had no idea Lethera would be this effective this quickly in the NHL. If we didn't have Lethera, I bet we'd all be a lot happier with Stastny, b/c I see Tarasenko making him look really good.

Edit: Ew, I just looked at Bobby Ryan's contract, nevermind.

With the roster we have at the moment I also would be happy with:
STL
SOB

AS LONG AS the next winger to be traded to the Blues were a guy with size.
IF you include Stastny in with our top 6, then 5 of the 7 guys are 6ft or smaller.
Looking at the Hawks top 6, 4 of the 6 are 6ft1 or larger, all of the top 6 of the Kings are between 6'1 and 6'4.
Not surprising a lot of attention is coming the Blues way about only getting perimeter shots on teams, is that surprising? Our goal scorers are skilled but small, and not at all willing to play like a Gallagher.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
With the roster we have at the moment I also would be happy with:
STL
SOB

AS LONG AS the next winger to be traded to the Blues were a guy with size.
IF you include Stastny in with our top 6, then 5 of the 7 guys are 6ft or smaller.
Looking at the Hawks top 6, 4 of the 6 are 6ft1 or larger, all of the top 6 of the Kings are between 6'1 and 6'4.
Not surprising a lot of attention is coming the Blues way about only getting perimeter shots on teams, is that surprising? Our goal scorers are skilled but small, and not at all willing to play like a Gallagher.
I agree I'd like a winger with size as well but you're going overboard with this.

The Blues' top 6 is a lot more physical than Chicago's, it isn't close.

The only undersized forwards in the regular lineup are Oshie and Schwartz, and they don't really play small. Steen, Stastny, Tarasenko, Ott are pretty average sized, they aren't small. Berglund, Backes, Lapierre, Reaves, Lehtera are all big. It isn't really that much of an issue.

pricer502

Jun 3, 2011
Kansas City
Stastny has to elevate his play. His effort doesn't even seem to be there. Like someone mentioned earlier he seems to be losing alot of board battles. Hitch cannot break up STL line like he did last night. Its golden. One of the best lines in hockey. The problem is we have too may pass first guys (Stasny,Berglund,Oshie and even Backes these days). I think the Blues will be moving either Bergy or Oshie along with other assets to aquire a scoring winger. Stasny can then center Steen and the newly aquired winger. I think Backes should be 3rd line center that we use to shutdown other teams top lines. He will still be in front of the net on first unit powerplay where most of his points come from anyway.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
While I believe that their are several players underperforming I find that there a bigger problems with our game plan. I went back and watched the last two games and paid a lot of attention to detail. We have all heard Hitch say that our offense is created off the rush. The problem is that it seems like the only way we are able to create offense and too often is one and done. If we don't find the back of the net off the rush the puck is too easily handed over to the opposing teams defense.

Our non existant forecheck is making life way to easy on opposing defense, on the off chance we win the battle for a puck we immediately work it back to the point for a non threatening shot on net. We need to keep the puck down low and grind out the defense more often to wear them down, something we are not accomplishing now.

When the opposing teams defense takes control of the puck we are letting them make zone exits and zone entries far to easy. Our protection of the "lines" is horrid. We are simply backing up and allowing easy access to the lines for the opposing team.

Another problem with only creating off the rush is too many players specifically centerman are getting caught on the offensive side of the puck in the defensive zone. They are too worried about trying to jumpstart an odd man rush that they are cheating up the ice too far which is exposing the mid to high slot which has cost a lot of high end scoring chances for opposing teams. We have become one dimensional to the point that better teams are able to shut us down with relative ease.

Mike Liut

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Feb 12, 2008
I think with the addition of Stastny and Lehtera and with the emergence or Tarasenko and Schwartz, this team feels it's no longer a heavy forechecking, backchecking, grinding type team. It thinks it's a skilled team now.

The early stages of the Hitch era, this team would bang you relentlessly and smother teams. That style is gone.

Blanick

Winter is coming
Sep 20, 2011
St. Louis
I think with the addition of Stastny and Lehtera and with the emergence or Tarasenko and Schwartz, this team feels it's no longer a heavy forechecking, backchecking, grinding type team. It thinks it's a skilled team now.

The early stages of the Hitch era, this team would bang you relentlessly and smother teams. That style is gone.

There is nothing wrong with using skill when the opportunity presents itself but at our core we have to get back to being that heavy difficult team to play against.

bleedblue1223

Jan 21, 2011
We've been wanting to play a defensive white-collar game for awhile though. Hitch wants a system like Detroit ran, we just need another natural goal scorer to truly pull it off.

Meatwagon

Blues=Overrated
Nov 15, 2010
Bi-polar Express

This is my complaint as well. Honestly I don't even recognize the team right now. They look like the Caps in BB last year or even a Dallas team this year.

They think since Frank is scoring at will, they all can.

Bluesnatic27

Aug 5, 2011
While I believe that their are several players underperforming I find that there a bigger problems with our game plan. I went back and watched the last two games and paid a lot of attention to detail. We have all heard Hitch say that our offense is created off the rush. The problem is that it seems like the only way we are able to create offense and too often is one and done. If we don't find the back of the net off the rush the puck is too easily handed over to the opposing teams defense.

Our non existant forecheck is making life way to easy on opposing defense, on the off chance we win the battle for a puck we immediately work it back to the point for a non threatening shot on net. We need to keep the puck down low and grind out the defense more often to wear them down, something we are not accomplishing now.

When the opposing teams defense takes control of the puck we are letting them make zone exits and zone entries far to easy. Our protection of the "lines" is horrid. We are simply backing up and allowing easy access to the lines for the opposing team.

Another problem with only creating off the rush is too many players specifically centerman are getting caught on the offensive side of the puck in the defensive zone. They are too worried about trying to jumpstart an odd man rush that they are cheating up the ice too far which is exposing the mid to high slot which has cost a lot of high end scoring chances for opposing teams. We have become one dimensional to the point that better teams are able to shut us down with relative ease.

This is why I found Stastny, at least for a few shifts, to be doing a pretty good job in the Pred's game (however this is in no way defending his play beside that game and maybe even the Chicago game). He was the only forward who charged into the forecheck. Heck, he wasn't even that graceful about it as it just looked like he was throwing himself at the defensemen in the offensive zone. However he was creating some panic for the Preds, and it almost cost them a goal.

The only line that consistently provides a steady, firm forecheck is the 4th line, and they've honestly been our best looking line in this stretch of games. I'd even argue that they've been on par with the STL line as the team's most dangerous line for this stretch.

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
One more thing on Sobotka and his future beyond this season. If we believe that he is getting $4m a year there, then on July 10 that would have been around 135m Rubles. Today 135m Rubles is worth $2.56m.

Personally, I think he is probably on closer to 100m Rubles ($1.9m today) with Avangard.

I imagine that the currency will see some rebound between now and the end of the season, but I can't imagine a scenario where he isn't back in the NHL next season. I think Armstrong is banking on a Lehterä type "I made a mistake" moment from Sobotka, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got it.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
One more thing on Sobotka and his future beyond this season. If we believe that he is getting $4m a year there, then on July 10 that would have been around 135m Rubles. Today 135m Rubles is worth $2.56m.

Personally, I think he is probably on closer to 100m Rubles ($1.9m today) with Avangard.

I imagine that the currency will see some rebound between now and the end of the season, but I can't imagine a scenario where he isn't back in the NHL next season. I think Armstrong is banking on a Lehterä type "I made a mistake" moment from Sobotka, and I wouldn't be surprised if he got it.

Does the KHL not release the players exact salaries? That is a little strange. Yeah anyway I would welcome Sobotka back on this team any day of the week.

Also, congrats on becoming a Mod. I enjoy reading your posts - they are always informative and well-written. Good luck dealing with us!

Alklha

Sep 7, 2011
Does the KHL not release the players exact salaries? That is a little strange. Yeah anyway I would welcome Sobotka back on this team any day of the week.

Also, congrats on becoming a Mod. I enjoy reading your posts - they are always informative and well-written. Good luck dealing with us!

Thanks, hopefully it won't be too stressful :laugh:

KHL salaries aren't made public, only the length of the contracts. I think some teams wanted a little more transparency on salaries, but there are Russian laws that would prevent those details being in the public domain. Salaries being private isn't uncommon in Europe, the numbers attributed to soccer players salaries are normally just estimates.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
Despite Hitchcocks pronouncement after the Calgary game, this team doesn't have a firm identity. That said, despite not really playing well and having a fair amount of injuries and illnesses they have a good amount of points.

I think this isn't such a bad development. They need a few losses to get unified, focused and more determined. Chicago already went through this and found a stronger game. I expect the Blues to start playing much better offer the next couple weeks, and to find a foundation to base their postseason style on. But I bet they lose to the Islanders first.

BlueOil

"well-informed"
Apr 28, 2010
Despite Hitchcocks pronouncement after the Calgary game, this team doesn't have a firm identity. That said, despite not really playing well and having a fair amount of injuries and illnesses they have a good amount of points.

I think this isn't such a bad development. They need a few losses to get unified, focused and more determined. Chicago already went through this and found a stronger game. I expect the Blues to start playing much better offer the next couple weeks, and to find a foundation to base their postseason style on. But I bet they lose to the Islanders first.

We did well in the past two mid-day road games. I think it's possible that could be a game to get spirits back up. Islanders are rolling though.

Team really misses Bouwmeester.

Would like to see us abandon the umbrella on the powerplay. Blues are just too complacent in that structure and do not move enough to be dangerous.

2018-19 Cup Champs!
Mar 22, 2012
Thanks, hopefully it won't be too stressful :laugh:

KHL salaries aren't made public, only the length of the contracts. I think some teams wanted a little more transparency on salaries, but there are Russian laws that would prevent those details being in the public domain. Salaries being private isn't uncommon in Europe, the numbers attributed to soccer players salaries are normally just estimates.

Awesome choice to be my replacement :nod:

I can Google guys like Radulov and Kovalchuk and it comes up with a number. Is that just speculation also?

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
We did well in the past two mid-day road games. I think it's possible that could be a game to get spirits back up. Islanders are rolling though.

Team really misses Bouwmeester.

Would like to see us abandon the umbrella on the powerplay. Blues are just too complacent in that structure and do not move enough to be dangerous.
The strength of the umbrella is that it's relatively easy to generate a shooting lane from a decent position when you have two defending forwards trying to cover three offensive players.

That advantage is largely neutered when handedness of the players on the right and left sides of the umbrella aren't appropriate for one-timers. By the time the player receives the pass and resets himself for the shot, the lane has already closed and the defense has rotated.

Ideally we'd have something like Oshie - Shattenkirk - Tarasenko up high. The main option is moving the puck between Tarasenko and Shattenkirk (both have one-time options, and can exploit the defense if it's caught out of position). If the weak-side defensive forward cheats over to make it a 2 on 2 situation, then Shattenkirk slides the puck over to Oshie who's cheating in towards the middle a bit to fill that vacated space. He's ready to one-time or otherwise exploit the defense as appropriate.

The second PP could be X - Pietrangelo - Steen. Part of the problem is we don't really have another RH shot that's a threat to fill that last X position, unless you want to play Backes there and not around the net. Not exactly ideal.

STL fan in MN

Aug 16, 2007
I would prefer it if one unit used the umbrella and then the other unit used the overload. I don't think we have the right personnel to have both units doing the umbrella and if we had two different PP schemes, it makes it harder for the opposition to prep their defense against us.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I would prefer it if one unit used the umbrella and then the other unit used the overload. I don't think we have the right personnel to have both units doing the umbrella and if we had two different PP schemes, it makes it harder for the opposition to prep their defense against us.
I like it. Stastny down low, Schwartz on the half-wall, and Pietrangelo on the blueline would be the primary puck handlers. Put Backes in front and Steen on the weak side and call it a day.

Berglund and Lehtera can play down low on the umbrella group, with Lehtera being the outlet on Tarasenko's side. Done and done.

Lord Helix

Nov 12, 2010
Just letting it be known that the above discussion depth (and beyond) is what I've been missing most about this forum lately.

KirkOut

EveryoneOut
Nov 23, 2012
USA
I like it. Stastny down low, Schwartz on the half-wall, and Pietrangelo on the blueline would be the primary puck handlers. Put Backes in front and Steen on the weak side and call it a day.

Berglund and Lehtera can play down low on the umbrella group, with Lehtera being the outlet on Tarasenko's side. Done and done.

I'd even think about switching Berglund and Backes in this situation and having Backes be the net-man in the umbrella group, just because you need that guy to be a puck hound for anything that goes behind the net due to the decreased support down low. I think Backes would win more of those battles.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
I'd even think about switching Berglund and Backes in this situation and having Backes be the net-man in the umbrella group, just because you need that guy to be a puck hound for anything that goes behind the net due to the decreased support down low. I think Backes would win more of those battles.
I think he would as well.

The downside is that not having a RH shot near the net on a right side overload really limits the options from the half-wall and especially the corner. There's no way LH shot like Berglund could post up for a forehand shot, or quickly drop back into the mid-slot for a one-time opportunity. It makes backside cross-crease plays more difficult as well.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad