Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

OverTheCap

Jan 3, 2009
Nash scores more PP goals when is parked in front of the net rather than along the half wall:

Nash seems to creep farther away from the net on the power play, too, playing more on the half-wall than down low, where he used to score most of his goals. Then again, that might be why he was healthy enough to play 82 games last season.

http://bluejacketsxtra.dispatch.com/content/blogs/puck-rakers/2012/06/report-card-nash.html

I'm glad Arniel is adjusting and learning from his previous mistakes, because removing Nash from the front of the net and using him along the boards did not work out so well in Columbus:

In Nash's case, his utilization has changed. Under Hitchcock, he frequently scored from in front of the net and from sharp angles near the goal line to the right of the net. Under Arniel, Nash was frequently utilized on the half-wall, to diminished effect. That's coaching, and the blame is ultimately on the head coach, whether special teams are delegated to assistants or not.

http://www.hockeyprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=1225

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
With Gaborik and Dubinsky gone, we better find someone who can work the side boards on the power play.

Brassard looked good in his time there last year.

Boom Boom Geoffrion*

With Gaborik and Dubinsky gone, we better find someone who can work the side boards on the power play.

Someone good on the boards?

Marcel Hossa, anyone?!?! :laugh:

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think every player's goal rate would increase when playing in front of the net on the PP. Arniel's not trying to increase Nash's PP goal rate, he's trying to increase the Rangers'.

I think Brett Gardner would have more RBIs if he batted cleanup. ****ing Girardi....

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
I don't hate it. He's got the size. And the hands. Putting your best offensive player a foot out of the net. I just worry about the potential beating he might take over the long haul there.

I'd rather see him on the opposite flank ripping one-timers, although they are somewhat banned here in NY.

Long live Pat Verbeek! :bow:

That's exactly why I think he's better suited on the right flank than in front of the net. Nash is going to take abuse in the front of the net. He has good hands in tight, but I'd rather see him pick corners from the circles than scoring garbage goals.

Brassard and Zuccarello both would work there, yes. I'm more of a fan of Brassard on the point actually.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I think every player's goal rate would increase when playing in front of the net on the PP. Arniel's not trying to increase Nash's PP goal rate, he's trying to increase the Rangers'.

I think Brett Gardner would have more RBIs if he batted cleanup. ****ing Girardi....
Bob Richards s/o was unintentional

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
Girardi on the PP is one of the most unnecessary waste of minutes for a good defensive blueliner I can think of. Same with Staal. McDonagh, if he improves could earn a look.

Stralman-Moore, and Del Zotto-Richards. It's not rocket science. The guys that play less ES and PK who are decent offensively should be on the power play.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Girardi on the PP is one of the most unnecessary waste of minutes for a good defensive blueliner I can think of. Same with Staal. McDonagh, if he improves could earn a look.

Stralman-Moore, and Del Zotto-Richards. It's not rocket science. The guys that play less ES and PK who are decent offensively should be on the power play.

It's power play science which is much harder than rocket science, apparently.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't think Rangers fans dreams of McDonagh being a regular PP player will come to fruition under AV.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
I don't think McD should be on the PP too much. We have perfectly defensively sound bottom pairing guys in Stralman, Moore, Del Zotto to make work on the PP. 4 forwards on ice, it's not going to have to be McD. Unless everyone sucks and McD is the only viable player, then I'd rather not see him log PP minutes.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I don't think McD should be on the PP too much. We have perfectly defensively sound bottom pairing guys in Stralman, Moore, Del Zotto to make work on the PP. 4 forwards on ice, it's not going to have to be McD. Unless everyone sucks and McD is the only viable player, then I'd rather not see him log PP minutes.
I also would much rather see Staal on the powerplay than McDonagh.

silverfish

got perma'd
Jun 24, 2008
under the bridge
Some ESPN fantasy projections (at least for the Rangers on my team, I'm too lazy to dig for them all, sorry guys!)

Lundqvist: 69 starts - 41 wins - 1.86 GAA - .934 sv%
(Holy ****, I hope so :laugh: )
Biron: 10 starts - 5 wins - 2.32 GAA - .913sv%
Nash: 36 goals - 36 assists - +7 - 44 PIMs - 326 SOGs
Stepan: 25 goals - 39 assists - +25 - 20 PIMs - 183 SOGs
Zuccarello: 3 goals - 6 assists - +6 - 7 PIMs (LOL, WHAT?) - 31 SOGs
Del Zotto: 8 goals - 32 assists - +9 - 36 PIMs - 136 SOGs
Dorsett: (No stat predictions)

Yes, I know, I have a lot of NYR players on my team. It's a very deep league so it's really not that bad. So, don't judge me!

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Some ESPN fantasy projections (at least for the Rangers on my team, I'm too lazy to dig for them all, sorry guys!)

Lundqvist: 69 starts - 41 wins - 1.86 GAA - .934 sv%
(Holy ****, I hope so :laugh: )
Biron: 10 starts - 5 wins - 2.32 GAA - .913sv%
Nash: 36 goals - 36 assists - +7 - 44 PIMs - 326 SOGs
Stepan: 25 goals - 39 assists - +25 - 20 PIMs - 183 SOGs
Zuccarello: 3 goals - 6 assists - +6 - 7 PIMs (LOL, WHAT?) - 31 SOGs
Del Zotto: 8 goals - 32 assists - +9 - 36 PIMs - 136 SOGs
Dorsett: (No stat predictions)

Yes, I know, I have a lot of NYR players on my team. It's a very deep league so it's really not that bad. So, don't judge me!

Lundqvist? Nash? I'm judging you.

Fitzy

Very Stable Genius
Jan 29, 2009
That Lundqvist prediction is overly optimistic in an Olympic year.

But that sure would be a Vezina season. No goalies run 1.84 over a full season any more.

16 To Stanley*

That's exactly why I think he's better suited on the right flank than in front of the net. Nash is going to take abuse in the front of the net. He has good hands in tight, but I'd rather see him pick corners from the circles than scoring garbage goals.

Brassard and Zuccarello both would work there, yes. I'm more of a fan of Brassard on the point actually.

Nash's strong suit isn't his wrister. He should be in front of the net. Let Brass & Zucc take the sideboards.

Also does anyone know how the shot is on Pouliot?

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
I also would much rather see Staal on the powerplay than McDonagh.

Never thought Staal was very good with the puck in close or tight situations in the offensive end of the ice. His reach tends to work against him. Much prefer other options on the left side point than him.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA