Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
I thought the Stepan/Giroux comaprison was ridiculous also. Until I looked it up and in Girouxs first three years he was 20/40/60 (per 82 games) and in Stepans first three he was 22/32/54 (per 82 games). 206 games for Giroux. 212 for Stepan. Giroux's age 20,21,22 season. Stepan's age 20,21,22 season. So it seems reasonable. In all likelihood after year 4 they will not be comparable. But after 3 they certainly are.
Yeah, some people aren't getting the timeline here.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
Giroux is one of the top players in the league; he has put up over 90 points in a season. I can't believe I'm telling you this then again if you had a freakin clue, you would know this all by yourself!

They aren't in the same stratosphere as players dude. Time for you to either watch another sport or come to grips with reality about our players!

I thought the Stepan/Giroux comaprison was ridiculous also. Until I looked it up and in Girouxs first three years he was 20/40/60 (per 82 games) and in Stepans first three he was 22/32/54 (per 82 games). 206 games for Giroux. 212 for Stepan. Giroux's age 20,21,22 season. Stepan's age 20,21,22 season. So it seems reasonable. In all likelihood after year 4 they will not be comparable. But after 3 they certainly are.

Pretty much had my answer posted. After three years on his ELC, he signed a 3 year contract with a $3,750,000 caphit

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Stepan being compared to Giroux? I'm gonna chalk this one up to it being a Saturday night and maybe some one had too much to drink. Good God please sign already so we can end these charades.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011
Comparable is not a word that exists in Glen's play book. Glen is playing the low ball game as he should. Comparable numbers are only there to give him an idea as to where the player will sensibly settle at should management decide to yield.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
Giroux is one of the top players in the league; he has put up over 90 points in a season. I can't believe I'm telling you this then again if you had a freakin clue, you would know this all by yourself!

They aren't in the same stratosphere as players dude. Time for you to either watch another sport or come to grips with reality about our players!

Others have already explained, by I'll add a little more info.

The first year of Giroux's 3 year deal was 2011-12. The cap that year was 64.3 mil, same as it is this year.

The first 2 years of Giroux's deal paid him an average of 3.125 mil, which is right around what Stepan will get.

And just to show that I can be objective and not just give you the info that supports my argument, Giroux signed the contract in November of 2010. At the time of the signing, he had 7 goals and 7 assists in 15 games, which is a smaller sample size than Stepan's 18 goals and 26 assists in 48 games.

They are comparable players.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
You can't say a damn thing here without the same people coming in and belittling and ******** on everyone who agrees with the person who said it

NewLife

Apr 29, 2011
Oslo
So I just found out that GCL isnt taking me any longer than june so will streamo be up for Rangers preseason games?

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
You can't say a damn thing here without the same people coming in and belittling and ******** on everyone who agrees with the person who said it

Because its fantasyland here where everyone's the best in the game and we're so good we're a dynasty but some how only managed one Cup in 73 years. Sorry, some fans don't wear the rose colored glasses and see things for what they really are.

Boruto

Jun 27, 2011

what are you talking about John? I don't agree with you. You're little and *********.

Drewbackatu*

You can spin the numbers any which way you want but Stepan will never sniff Giroux as a player because Giroux's skills dwarf Stepans'. A player can only go so far on their high hockey IQ before their game plateau's out. Just remember you heard it hear first from me!

Raspewtin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
May 30, 2013
Because its fantasyland here where everyone's the best in the game and we're so good we're a dynasty but some how only managed one Cup in 73 years. Sorry, some fans don't wear the rose colored glasses and see things for what they really are.

why does that justify verbally tearing apart someone that disagrees? it just makes you look like an *******. Just respectfully disagree and state why. No one should belittle someone else for a hockey opinion.

JohnC

Jan 26, 2013
New York
Not a single person said any of that. If you and Drew actually took time to read instead of spammed how stupid all of us are with your exclamation points, you'd get that. People lay out as many facts as humanly possible yet we still get the same old **** about how we're dumb! And how this franchise sucks! And how Sather is the Teflon GM (the dumbest god damn nickname off all time no matter how true it is)!

Drewbackatu*

Others have already explained, by I'll add a little more info.

The first year of Giroux's 3 year deal was 2011-12. The cap that year was 64.3 mil, same as it is this year.

The first 2 years of Giroux's deal paid him an average of 3.125 mil, which is right around what Stepan will get.

And just to show that I can be objective and not just give you the info that supports my argument, Giroux signed the contract in November of 2010. At the time of the signing, he had 7 goals and 7 assists in 15 games, which is a smaller sample size than Stepan's 18 goals and 26 assists in 48 games.

They are comparable players.

How about we look at the wonderful numbers that Stepan has posted the last 2 playoff years; 5 goals, 9 assists in 32 playoff games??

I'll say it again so even you understand it, you can spin the first 3 years numbers any which way you want to but Derek Stepan is not in the same league with players like Giroux, Duchene and probably another 12-15 centers in the league(minimum off the top of my head mind you). Stepan's average skillset will not allow him to become the player a lot of posters on here already think he is!

He is at best a 2nd line center on a good team and he would end up being a 3rd line center on some stacked teams. Just because he is our defacto 1st line center from last year because of a dirth of talent at the center position on our team, that doesn't mean squat!

Paulie Walnutz

Make HF Great Again
Oct 1, 2008
Not a single person said any of that. If you and Drew actually took time to read instead of spammed how stupid all of us are with your exclamation points, you'd get that. People lay out as many facts as humanly possible yet we still get the same old **** about how we're dumb! And how this franchise sucks! And how Sather is the Teflon GM (the dumbest god damn nickname off all time no matter how true it is)!

Why? Because this organization is the worst of the Original 6, mismanagement and losing have been a tradition for this organization. A few years ago during the 85th anniversary season(aka cheap pr 85 really?) they should have painted 85 years of mediocrity on the ice. It seems like the young guys on here always post positive things and portray a glass half full attitude, but myself and other vets see it half empty because history tells us otherwise. I'm sorry but I'm not excited for the season, sure I'm excited we have our favorite sport starting again, but I think alot of you are going to be in for a rude awakening this season, the team is small, soft, and lacks offensive talent. That's why Torts tried winning games 2-1.

Drewbackatu*

why does that justify verbally tearing apart someone that disagrees? it just makes you look like an *******. Just respectfully disagree and state why. No one should belittle someone else for a hockey opinion.

Fine but for God sakes, an opinion has to based on some facts instead of some scatterbrained fan making a ridiculously dumb comparison! Face facts and like it or not, Stepan is not in the same league with any of these players(Duchene, Giroux, etcetera and so on) and that's just for starters! Stop placing unrealistic expectations and unfair burdens on a very nice player like Stepan who just doesn't in any way shape or form possess anywhere near the skillset of legitimate 1st line centers throughout the league.

GAGLine

Sep 17, 2007
How about we look at the wonderful numbers that Stepan has posted the last 2 playoff years; 5 goals, 9 assists in 32 playoff games??

I'll say it again so even you understand it, you can spin the first 3 years numbers any which way you want to but Derek Stepan is not in the same league with players like Giroux, Duchene and probably another 12-15 centers in the league(minimum off the top of my head mind you). Stepan's average skillset will not allow him to become the player a lot of posters on here already think he is!

He is at best a 2nd line center on a good team and he would end up being a 3rd line center on some stacked teams. Just because he is our defacto 1st line center from last year because of a dirth of talent at the center position on our team, that doesn't mean squat!

First 3 years of their career, are their numbers comparable or not? Yes or no?

Thirty One

Safe is safe.
Dec 28, 2003
Does the opposition recognize that no one is comparing Stepan to Giroux right now? It's been pointed out several times, but it keeps on getting argued. I guess it's easier than debating the points that people are actually making.

Drewbackatu*

Why? Because this organization is the worst of the Original 6, mismanagement and losing have been a tradition for this organization. A few years ago during the 85th anniversary season(aka cheap pr 85 really?) they should have painted 85 years of mediocrity on the ice. It seems like the young guys on here always post positive things and portray a glass half full attitude, but myself and other vets see it half empty because history tells us otherwise. I'm sorry but I'm not excited for the season, sure I'm excited we have our favorite sport starting again, but I think alot of you are going to be in for a rude awakening this season, the team is small, soft, and lacks offensive talent. That's why Torts tried winning games 2-1.

Well stated and your comments ring true. You're a young fan who obviously sees the big picture and understands all too well just how piss poor this organization has been run over it's pathetic history and that still somehow in the divine wisdom/madness of management gets spun over and over again in a positive fashion so that the many gullible and naïve fans we have around here buy the crap they're selling lock, stock and barrel.

I too don't see what all the positivity is about with this year. Our roster is a freakin mess; completely flawed with only ONE legitimate 1st line player in Nash and a defense which is chockful of a bunch of clones(McDonagh, Staal, Girardi, Del Zotto) who are all softer than a bakery full of pastries and the next time any of them clear out someone from in front of the net or win a damn battle along the boards will be the first time that happens.

So, color me a debbie downer; tell me to go root for another team; whatever but that's just the cold harsh reality of a fan who has had season tickets for the better part of the last 45 years and who has been privy to all of the nonsensical ******** that has gone on with this team/organization during that time.

Look, I'm all for this team doing well and surprising negative skeptics like myself but history has taught me to not to get overly excited about things until the players lace them up and play.

Drewbackatu*

Does the opposition recognize that no one is comparing Stepan to Giroux right now? It's been pointed out several times, but it keeps on getting argued. I guess it's easier than debating the points that people are actually making.

Believe it or not, someone actually called Stepan comparable to Giroux because their #'s are similar their first 3 years.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad