Pre-Game Talk: The 2013-2014 Training Camp/Preseason Discussion Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Never thought Staal was very good with the puck in close or tight situations in the offensive end of the ice. His reach tends to work against him. Much prefer other options on the left side point than him.

Agreed. Staal and Girardi shouldn't play the points. Both don't seem too mobile on the blue line.

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
Day 3 Krieder was good.Nice chemistry with Richards-Zuccarello.Intriguing skills from Pouliot. Live from camp 11am Sunday on MSG#NYRTC

https://twitter.com/DaveMaloneyMSG/status/378967704251936768

Pouliot was in group which was on the live steam. He skated well.

Those drills with the Rangers working on their transition from defense to offense and getting chances off the rush must be what Vigneault referred to as pushing the pace.

JCrusher*

Apr 16, 2012
https://twitter.com/DaveMaloneyMSG/status/378967704251936768

Pouliot was in group which was on the live steam. He skated well.

Those drills with the Rangers working on their transition from defense to offense and getting chances off the rush must be what Vigneault referred to as pushing the pace.
I think AV is the right coach to utilize the talents of guys like zuccarello kreider and eventually miller lindberg fast kristo

ColonialsHockey10

Jul 22, 2007
Never thought Staal was very good with the puck in close or tight situations in the offensive end of the ice. His reach tends to work against him. Much prefer other options on the left side point than him.

It's absolutely his reach and long stick.

Staal is one hell of a forechecker though, and he's good at rushing the puck as well.

eco's bones

Jul 21, 2005
Elmira NY
It's absolutely his reach and long stick.

Staal is one hell of a forechecker though, and he's good at rushing the puck as well.

Yep. In tight maneuverability with the puck is really lacking. He has a hard time keeping pucks in and is prone when close to the line of taking the puck over and back thus causing an offsides. The reach and long stick are great in the defensive end though.

Really think that McDonagh is much better suited to play pwp. Not nearly as lanky and handles the puck much better. Our smallest D--Del Zotto and Stralman are the best players for moving the puck around.

Drewbackatu*

I can't imagine Step is asking for that much. His agent knows all the comparable numbers. There really isn't any way he can argue that Stepan should get more than Duchene got. The only comparable players who got 3.75 or more were Giroux and ROR. Giroux got 3.75 for 3 years. Stepan won't get that much on a 2 year deal. ROR got 5 per for 2 years, but that was because Feaster was an idiot.

I think the sides are closer than has been reported. This will end when Sather realizes that he has to pay Stepan at least a little more than Kadri got.

So now Stepan is comparable to Giroux?

Lindberg Cheese

Apr 28, 2013
Cambodia
Yep. In tight maneuverability with the puck is really lacking. He has a hard time keeping pucks in and is prone when close to the line of taking the puck over and back thus causing an offsides. The reach and long stick are great in the defensive end though.

Really think that McDonagh is much better suited to play pwp. Not nearly as lanky and handles the puck much better. Our smallest D--Del Zotto and Stralman are the best players for moving the puck around.

True all this but Staal is good at seeing the opportunity to floatdown the wing to goal anticipating a cross ice pass as his recent playoff goals suggest (McD is also good at this, Leetch being yhe master of course).

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
In his first full training camp of his professional career, Chris Kreider looked sharp in Saturday’s on-ice session.

The 22-year-old, who had a tremendous start to his NHL career during the 2012 playoffs, struggled to carve out a consistent spot on the team’s roster last season.

Kreider, who played with the AHL’s Connecticut Whale during the lockout, was sent back to the Rangers’ farm team multiple times after struggling to maintain consistency while up with the big club.

Kreider said he’s motivated to make an impact this season.

“I feel pretty good, but I need to keep on building, getting better every single day.â€

The Boxford, Mass. native is known for his lower-body strength and speed, and both were on display as he drove the net hard during drills in Saturday’s first session.

http://espn.go.com/blog/new-york/hockey/category/_/name/new-york-rangers

Going to the net is something being stressed in training camp by the coaching staff.

Kakko

Formerly Chytil
Mar 23, 2011
Long Island
If Stepan ever scores 90 points in a season I'll eat my shoe. Stepan is much more of a two way player than an offensive dynamo like Giroux.

Giroux's 3 year career is extremely similar (is not worse) than Stepan's

Doesn't mean Stepan will be as good in year 4, but in termd of a new contract, he is very comparable

Drewbackatu*

I can't imagine Step is asking for that much. His agent knows all the comparable numbers. There really isn't any way he can argue that Stepan should get more than Duchene got. The only comparable players who got 3.75 or more were Giroux and ROR. Giroux got 3.75 for 3 years. Stepan won't get that much on a 2 year deal. ROR got 5 per for 2 years, but that was because Feaster was an idiot.

I think the sides are closer than has been reported. This will end when Sather realizes that he has to pay Stepan at least a little more than Kadri got.

So now Stepan is comparable to Giroux?

Drewbackatu*

Yes. Tell me why he isn't.

Giroux is one of the top players in the league; he has put up over 90 points in a season. I can't believe I'm telling you this then again if you had a freakin clue, you would know this all by yourself!

They aren't in the same stratosphere as players dude. Time for you to either watch another sport or come to grips with reality about our players!

SA16

Sixstring
Aug 25, 2006
Long Island
I thought the Stepan/Giroux comaprison was ridiculous also. Until I looked it up and in Girouxs first three years he was 20/40/60 (per 82 games) and in Stepans first three he was 22/32/54 (per 82 games). 206 games for Giroux. 212 for Stepan. Giroux's age 20,21,22 season. Stepan's age 20,21,22 season. So it seems reasonable. In all likelihood after year 4 they will not be comparable. But after 3 they certainly are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad