The 18/19 Schedule - Tired/Rested games

Rodgerwilco

Entertainment boards w/ some Hockey mixed in.
Feb 6, 2014
Just like I didn't think the league was trying to slow down the Penguins by giving them more back-to-backs, I don't think the Oilers are being given a favorable schedule so that the league can help them do better.

Notsince67

Papi and the Lamplighters
Apr 27, 2018
jACsxaM.jpg

So here is Edmonton who will face a team on the second half of a back to back 18 times while being rested. Or another way to put it is 22% of Edmonton's games is against a team on the second half of a back to back
They need the help

Reactions: MendelMu

The Best Leafs Ever

Feb 28, 2017
Edmonton! I have no effing words for this team. I don’t know how the eff do they manage to keep bottoming it out years after years after years. I would be happy for McD if this schedule helped him a little, the much needed help he doesn’t get from the management.

Reactions: MendelMu

Sam Spade

May 4, 2009
Maryland
The NHL is better with it's best offensive player in the playoffs.

That being said Flames, Sharks, Kings got better this off-season, Oilers need to get their shit together quickly.

RandV

It's a wolf v2.0
Jul 29, 2003
Vancouver
Visit site
They more or less play off of Calgary or Vancouver's back, this flip flops every year.

Yeah this. The Vancouver/Calgary/Edmonton trip is the hinterlands of the NHL. When a team comes up here they typically play all 3 teams, the 3 games often crammed into 4 nights. So if you want to look for any sort of conspiracy/favouritism you need to look at multiple years to see how it spreads out, but I'm pretty sure the benefit flips around between the 3 teams. End result is compared to the rest of the league you can have a high/low amount of games against tired teams between Edmonton/Calgary/Vancouver.

Reactions: Jamin

Bedards Dad

I was in the pool!!
Nov 3, 2011
Toronto
Meh, disagree with that 1. The Oilers start overseas and have a harsh October schedule. No conspiracy here at all.

Legitimate question. Would you rather a harsh start to a season when you are rested (Oct/Nov - Winnipeg last year, who made playoffs), a harsh middle with an easy finish or start (Dec to Feb) or a harsh finish when you are tired from playing 70 game previously ( March/April - Toronto last year, who made playoffs)?

biotk

Jan 3, 2017
Buffalo
Legitimate question. Would you rather a harsh start to a season when you are rested (Oct/Nov - Winnipeg last year, who made playoffs), a harsh middle with an easy finish or start (Dec to Feb) or a harsh finish when you are tired from playing 70 game previously ( March/April - Toronto last year, who made playoffs)?

Could go either way. With a harsh start to the schedule if the Oilers lose a bunch of games early it could zap the team's confidence and have a bad psychological effect that carries on for months.

member 157595

I'm pretty sure that if the NHL was going to rig anything in favor of any team it sure as hell would be not be Edmonton. They're Jeremy Jacobs' worst nightmare.

CantLoseWithMatthews

Sep 28, 2015
probably harsh middle. If you start off badly at the beginning of the year, you might never rebound. it's very hard to make up ground now.

oXo Cube

Power Play Merchant
Nov 4, 2008
In your closet

In the era of the loser point it's really hard to climb out of a hole if you dig one early.

Especially when you are a team like the Oilers who don't have a ton of reason to be confident in their ability to get it done.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
Can someone post last year's so we can see if it makes any difference?

Also does anyone know the km travelled for a team like Edmonton vs an eastern team so we can see how much rest edmonton gets.

Finally as others have said it's the western canada road trip. I have distinct memories of complaining why does Calgary play a team the day after we play them every time. It's cyclical.

Ryan Michaels

Mar 21, 2017
And 10% of the season we are playing a rested team while tired.
Did you watch the 2016 playoffs? Or notice how little powerplays we had last season? Or notice how bad we have been this decade?
The league doesnt give a **** where the Oilers finish

I agree the league doesn't care where the Oilers finish but your comment doesn't really suggest that's what you believe.

Reactions: Gio4PM

LarKing

Sep 2, 2012
Michigan
Does anyone have the stat of how often the rested team wins? I’m actually curious to see how much of an impact this makes.

bukwas

Stanley Cup 2022
Sep 27, 2017
As sure as i am that the NHL would love to have McDavid in the postseason i'm equally sure they wouldn't manage the schedule to help facilitate it.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad