The 18/19 Schedule - Tired/Rested games

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
Man, some teams get the coal (Vancouver) and others get the cream (Edmonton)

Surely a schedule can be made more fair to all teams.

DgUEK5YXcAATRym.jpg

Reactions: Ice and Whiskey

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I think they should get rid of the back to back game entirely, or limit them to 4-5 a year. Hockey is a crazy physically demanding sport and teams playing on the second half of a back to back are noticeably weaker. Specially on the road, teams are already at a huge disadvantage

Reactions: Johnnybegood13

Johnnybegood13

Jul 11, 2003
I think they should get rid of the back to back game entirely, or limit them to 4-5 a year. Hockey is a crazy physically demanding sport and teams playing on the second half of a back to back are noticeably weaker. Specially on the road, teams are already at a huge disadvantage
Probably very hard to fit in for an 82 game schedule, but at the very least try to even it out better, how in hell can Vancouver or Colorado expect to finish ahead of divisional opponent Edmonton when they get to play a tired team 15 more times than them? or how about the battle of Alberta, both time the flames play in Edmonton it's on a back-to-back for Calgary, but Edmonton's rested when they play in Calgary. ridiculous :eek:

solidprospect

Borveetzky
Sep 30, 2017
Wondering if anyone has these stats from last season, so we can compare how it hurt or helped some teams.

Laineux

Aug 1, 2011
The NHL is unfairly helping Canuks to get a 2nd Hughes. Outrageous.

X66

114-110
Aug 18, 2008
If the Oilers don't take advantage of all those gift games, shame on them.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018

Certainly not a scheduling expert but getting rid of the back to backs would probably push the season longer by a couple weeks.

I know last year, the Penguins had 19 back to backs. So almost half of their schedule.

Dr Pepper

Dec 9, 2005
Sunny Etobicoke
Certainly not a scheduling expert but getting rid of the back to backs would probably push the season longer by a couple weeks.

I know last year, the Penguins had 19 back to backs. So almost half of their schedule.

That's....not quite how it works, as the first game should be inconsequential.

Unless you're implying that the team plays at less than full-tilt to save up energy for the second game.

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
That's....not quite how it works, as the first game should be inconsequential.

Unless you're implying that the team plays at less than full-tilt to save up energy for the second game.

Not saying anything about the efforts being given. Just that they had 19 sets of back to backs. The Pens never played Murray on back to backs and when Murray was hurt/away from team, they had to start two backups.

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto

I know its basically impossible to get rid of the back to backs unfortunately. They should definitely be more evenly balanced though. Handicap each team equally.

Weren't most of the penguins b2b's in the first half of the year too?

Hockey4Lyfe

Feb 26, 2018
I know its basically impossible to get rid of the back to backs unfortunately. They should definitely be more evenly balanced though. Handicap each team equally.

Weren't most of the penguins b2b's in the first half of the year too?

Yep. There was a lot of weird things that went on with the Pens schedule last year. Obviously, fitting everyone’s schedule together is an enormities task but they were having back to backs followed by 3 days of rest some times.

LeafsNation75

Jan 15, 2010
Toronto, Ontario
Not saying anything about the efforts being given. Just that they had 19 sets of back to backs. The Pens never played Murray on back to backs and when Murray was hurt/away from team, they had to start two backups.
I can't remember how many back to backs the Leafs had this past season, however no matter what for the 2nd game Babcock never started Andersen.

Jamin

Aug 25, 2009
I wonder if rested games has anything to do with travel? Arent Edmonton and Calgary 2 of the teams that travel the most?

But then again so are Canucks(?) and they are at bottom. Maybe NHL wants Mcdavids team to have an advantage? :sarcasm:

tom leafers

Jan 25, 2017
Toronto
I can't remember how many back to backs the Leafs had this past season, however no matter what for the 2nd game Babcock never started Andersen.

I think they had 13 or 14. the year before they had around 17-18 i believe, and that was in an already shortened season due to the world cup

DowntownBooster

Jun 21, 2011
Winnipeg
I wonder if rested games has anything to do with travel? Arent Edmonton and Calgary 2 of the teams that travel the most?

But then again so are Canucks(?) and they are at bottom. Maybe NHL wants Mcdavids team to have an advantage? :sarcasm:

You never know. Maybe the NHL wants to ensure a marquee player like McDavid is in the playoffs.

:jets

Orfieus

Nov 2, 2012
Atlantic Canada
jACsxaM.jpg

So here is Edmonton who will face a team on the second half of a back to back 18 times while being rested. Or another way to put it is 22% of Edmonton's games is against a team on the second half of a back to back

Reactions: MendelMu

A91

Oilers + Real Madrid
May 21, 2011
Edmonton
So here is Edmonton who will face a team on the second half of a back to back 18 times while being rested. Or another way to put it is 22% of Edmonton's games is against a team on the second half of a back to back

And 10% of the season we are playing a rested team while tired.
Did you watch the 2016 playoffs? Or notice how little powerplays we had last season? Or notice how bad we have been this decade?
The league doesnt give a f*** where the Oilers finish

Last edited:

CantHaveTkachev

Legends
Nov 30, 2004
St. OILbert, AB
jACsxaM.jpg

don't the Oilers start the season in Europe and not play a home game in the first 2 weeks of the season?

yeah, thanks NHL!

Reactions: dukeofjive

83to48

May 6, 2007
On The Halfboards
jACsxaM.jpg

Uhhhhh you know Edmonton is the most northern city in the NHL. The travel is brutal and we start the season overseas. And I mean I’m sure the NHL would do everything in it’s power to make one of their smallest markets a playoff team over huge franchises like the NYR. :thumbu:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad