Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
You cannot go into this off season not knowing what you have in Thatcher Demko before roster decisions are made for next season. You will not know that until he plays in a reasonable amount of NHL games later this season.

Yes I can.

I'm not against him getting some games, but I'm against shoehorning him into the lineup for like 20 games.

We can bring Demko in next year as the backup to play those 20 games. I don't mind Nilsson but he's probably gone at the end of the year, and Markstrom is not a goaltender I would dump. If Demko can't cut it next year he's waiver exempt and we can run with a replacement level goaltender.

Late Edit:
Just to add something, Schneider in 08/09 had 8 games with a 0.877 in the midst of an excellent season in the AHL. The following year his AHL numbers weren't as good (but still good), and he got 2 games in the NHL with a .915. Hardly a large sample size, not nearly enough to "know what we had" in Schneider.

We were still comfortable running with him as our backup the following year on a, what should have been, a championship team. I can't really understand why we would need to get games for Demko this year.

Last edited:

Uhmkay

Tryamkin = New Chara
Dec 11, 2006
Vancouver
You're not going to get a lot in return for Demko right now. I would actually be surprised if we got a 2nd, certainly not a 1st. Not worth trading, in fact, worth keeping because his cap hit will VERY low when he is finally ready for the NHL. I'd rather use that cap savings to either trade a player and hold back salary for a higher pick in return, or bring on a bad contract for another teams salary dump for a year or two in order to also include another young player or pick.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Why are goalies rated so high in the draft? Pick a goalie #35 so if he looks like an emerging star you can maybe trade him for a late 1st?

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yes I can.

I'm not against him getting some games, but I'm against shoehorning him into the lineup for like 20 games.

We can bring Demko in next year as the backup to play those 20 games. I don't mind Nilsson but he's probably gone at the end of the year, and Markstrom is not a goaltender I would dump. If Demko can't cut it next year he's waiver exempt and we can run with a replacement level goaltender.

Late Edit:
Just to add something, Schneider in 08/09 had 8 games with a 0.877 in the midst of an excellent season in the AHL. The following year his AHL numbers weren't as good (but still good), and he got 2 games in the NHL with a .915. Hardly a large sample size, not nearly enough to "know what we had" in Schneider.

We were still comfortable running with him as our backup the following year on a, what should have been, a championship team. I can't really understand why we would need to get games for Demko this year.
He’s been back playing for over a month now. I think anytime in the new year they can bring him up. I doubt Nilsson would get claimed if they sent him down. Only if teams have an injury in net would they claim him.

We should be eyeing to get him 15 starts at least this year.

Luck 6

\\_______
Oct 17, 2008
Vancouver
I'd like to see him get some games in towards the end of the year depending on where we are in the standings. You know that even if there is a outside chance of making the playoffs, they won't be bringing him up. I don't suspect that will be the case, and if so, I'd like to see him come up maybe some time in late February and start splitting games with Markstrom towards mid-march / April. I feel it is beneficial to players to get that "taste" of NHL action before the offseason, although I admit that may not apply as much to goalies depending on where they're at in development. With Demko, I think it will be a favourable decision.

timw33

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 18, 2007
Victoria
He’s been back playing for over a month now. I think anytime in the new year they can bring him up. I doubt Nilsson would get claimed if they sent him down. Only if teams have an injury in net would they claim him.

We should be eyeing to get him 15 starts at least this year.

I feel like Vegas (upgrade on Subban), Carolina, or Philly would grab him on waivers.

I think we could get a 4th/5th round pick for him at this point.

WetcoastOrca

Jun 3, 2011
Vancouver, BC
Bring him up and let him play after the TDL.
Next year let him fight for the starting job. Don’t waste some of his prime years like we did with Schneider. Goalies may take longer to develop but he looks ready to learn at the next level.

Reactions: PorscheDesign

GetFocht

Indestructible
Jun 11, 2013
Bring him up and let him play after the TDL.
Next year let him fight for the starting job. Don’t waste some of his prime years like we did with Schneider. Goalies may take longer to develop but he looks ready to learn at the next level.

100% agreed, We wasted a lot of Schneider's development because Canucks management wanted him to be overcooked. It's a different league now and goalies like John Gibson, Vasilevsky are playing remarkably. It's better for Demko to get acclimated in the NHL and start building habits at the pro level than dwelling in the AHL.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
Need him to get some games at the end of the year for sure. He needs to get ready to be the backup next year and potentially the starter the following year once Markstrom's contract is up. I don't really see much of a market for Nilson at the deadline so I don't know what exactly they will do to make it happen.

Cupless44

Jun 25, 2014
100% agreed, We wasted a lot of Schneider's development because Canucks management wanted him to be overcooked. It's a different league now and goalies like John Gibson, Vasilevsky are playing remarkably. It's better for Demko to get acclimated in the NHL and start building habits at the pro level than dwelling in the AHL.

How can you make roster decisions for next season if you don't know what you have at the NHL level with Demko? He absolutely has to come up to Vancouver this season.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
I feel like Vegas (upgrade on Subban), Carolina, or Philly would grab him on waivers.

I think we could get a 4th/5th round pick for him at this point.
So be it if he gets claimed. Have to get Demko some NHL action. Who’s traded for a backup goalie this year?

F A N

Aug 12, 2005
How can you make roster decisions for next season if you don't know what you have at the NHL level with Demko? He absolutely has to come up to Vancouver this season.

I think Demko SHOULD get some games with the Canucks this season, but these decisions are made all the time. You pencil in guys you expect to make the team. I think goaltending is a position where you don't really get better and better with NHL experience. The Canucks should determine whether they want Markstrom carrying the load next season than making the decision to "gift" Demko the backup spot.

Zippgunn

May 15, 2011
Lhuntshi
Better question...

If Dipietro lights it up at WJC and CHL playoffs,.

Do the Canucks trade Demko...

Go after a Veteran proven goalie this season and wait for Dipietro in 3 yrs.

If they do they are gigantic hypocrites, after all Nilsson winning the gold at the WHC (AND the best goalie) seems to have counted for nothing with regards to his career here. He is still the lowly backup who only seems to play when the team is afraid to play Marky in really tough games. If Demko OR DiPietro get Nilsson's workload I fear disaster...

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The Canuck goalie situation is a bit of head-scratcher at the moment. They seem determined to go with Nilsson every fourth game or so, even though he's on expiring contract. If and when the Canucks fall out of it in the playoff race, they really need to elevate Demko and get him some minutes.

If nothing else it might enhance his trade value. Nobody is going to cough up assets for an AHL goaltender like Demko who's still unproven at the NHL level.

And somebody tell me, what's the point of playing a goalie like Nilsson with no future in your organization during the NHL equivalent of 'garbage time' in the schedule?

tyhee

Feb 5, 2015
The Canuck goalie situation is a bit of head-scratcher at the moment. They seem determined to go with Nilsson every fourth game or so, even though he's on expiring contract. If and when the Canucks fall out of it in the playoff race, they really need to elevate Demko and get him some minutes.

If nothing else it might enhance his trade value. Nobody is going to cough up assets for an AHL goaltender like Demko who's still unproven at the NHL level.

And somebody tell me, what's the point of playing a goalie like Nilsson with no future in your organization during the NHL equivalent of 'garbage time' in the schedule?

The point in playing Nilsson is to give Markstrom an occasional rest so that he isn't overtired, subjecting himself to injury and the team to weaker play. As of the moment I'm writing this Markstrom is 7th in the league in minutes played. I see no reason to make him play more and think he's more effective with an occasional rest.

Meanwhile, Demko is recently back from injury. He's played only 10 AHL games this season. He's fine, but not yet better than last season, understandable considering his time off with the concussion.

As I write this theahl.com shows Demko 5th in the AHL in GAA (which is good considering the weak defence in front of him) and 9th in Save %, above average but not dominating the league. There's no need to change the plan to have him in Utica this season (probably with some time with the Canucks before the end of the season if they can work it) and then have him in Vancouver backing up Markstrom next season.

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The point in playing Nilsson is to give Markstrom an occasional rest so that he isn't overtired, subjecting himself to injury and the team to weaker play. As of the moment I'm writing this Markstrom is 7th in the league in minutes played. I see no reason to make him play more and think he's more effective with an occasional rest.

Meanwhile, Demko is recently back from injury. He's played only 10 AHL games this season. He's fine, but not yet better than last season, understandable considering his time off with the concussion.

As I write this theahl.com shows Demko 5th in the AHL in GAA (which is good considering the weak defence in front of him) and 9th in Save %, above average but not dominating the league. There's no need to change the plan to have him in Utica this season (probably with some time with the Canucks before the end of the season if they can work it) and then have him in Vancouver backing up Markstrom next season.

The problem is there's a huge gulf between the AHL and the NHL. And unless Demko gets a considerable chunk of NHL games down the stretch, the Canucks will go into training camp next year with no idea on whether Demko is even ready for backup duty in the NHL.

And I'd be shocked if Nilsson isn't traded this year, because he's on an expiring contract and won't be back. So unless they're going to be all-in on the Bobrovsky sweepstakes or have another stop-gap veteran in mind come July 1st, then they're taking an unnecessary risk by not elevating Demko for at least 15-20 games this season to see what he can do.

THE Green Man

Dec 27, 2013
Narnia
The problem is there's a huge gulf between the AHL and the NHL. And unless Demko gets a considerable chunk of NHL games down the stretch, the Canucks will go into training camp next year with no idea on whether Demko is even ready for backup duty in the NHL.

And I'd be shocked if Nilsson isn't traded this year, because he's on an expiring contract and won't be back. So unless they're going to be all-in on the Bobrovsky sweepstakes or have another stop-gap veteran in mind come July 1st, then they're taking an unnecessary risk by not elevating Demko for at least 15-20 games this season to see what he can do.
I really see a market for Nilson. Look at the playoff teams right now, who's going to trade for a backup goalie as a rental. It wouldn't surprise me if we were to send him down before the TDL- if he clears then get a pick for him as it would be a team adding a 3rd string insurance goalie by chance.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
One of these goalies we have is inevitably going to get injured, and that's Demko's plan. Nilsson isn't getting traded for anything and I bet you Demko is "gifted" a roster spot next season the same way Markstrom or Schneider was before him.

Reactions: tyhee

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
One of these goalies we have is inevitably going to get injured, and that's Demko's plan. Nilsson isn't getting traded for anything and I bet you Demko is "gifted" a roster spot next season the same way Markstrom or Schneider was before him.
So if Markstrom were to go down with an injury, then the Canucks are struck with an NHL rookie as their starter next season? For a GM as risk-averse as Jimbo, this seems unlikely to me.

hellstick

Nov 2, 2006
Abbotsford
So if Markstrom were to go down with an injury, then the Canucks are struck with an NHL rookie as their starter next season? For a GM as risk-averse as Jimbo, this seems unlikely to me.
We'll see what happens. Eventually you just need to take a chance with these guys, but I'm betting Demko gets a spot next season.

Intangibos

High-End Intangibos
Apr 5, 2010
Burnaby
Goaltenders are a dime a dozen. If Demko can't cut it in the NHL next year he can spend the year in the AHL. He's waiver exempt, it's no big deal. We also don't want to just give up on Markstrom, if we can excuse Demko for his numbers given the team in front of him we can most certainly do so for Markstrom who has Gudbranson, Pouliot and MDZ as regulars along with Stetcher as a #4.

I don't understand the obsession with rushing Demko into the NHL. Schneider, Markstrom, Lack and likely a ton of other goalies around the NHL were given a fair bit of time in the AHL. If we have Demko as our backup next season he'll be playing like 20 games, how is that good for his development? If he's our #1 we'll have a pretty expensive backup that we'll likely deal and the team that picks him up may find that they got a steal when he plays behind a quality team.

Seriously, why does Demko have to play in the NHL next year?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad