Prospect Info: Thatcher Demko

Zombotron

Supreme Overlord of Crap
Jan 3, 2010
Toronto
I hope so too. Obviously unlikely he gets tomorrow's 1 p.m. start vs. Columbus (which I decided not to go to - I'll be bummed out if he does get it)

go comets

Jul 10, 2013
Comets PP to start the 2nd period consists of 2 regulars, a signed PTO, a PTO and a ATO.... So much for the comets prospects.....

VanJack

Jul 11, 2014
The guy climbs off a long plane ride from Utica and gets thrown into the breach against the Jackets?....Seriously?.....trial by fire in his first NHL game.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Yeah. He had a huge setback after the initial concussion when they had him flying to Utica.

Finally.
Why did they send him to Utica? That’s the confusing part for me.

We know he took a shot off the mask in practice and got concussed.

They sent him down on sept 28. How far along was he in his recovery when they sent him down? What was the point of sending him down at that point? Shouldn’t the Canucks have wanted him to be fully recovered with a practice or two under his belt before they sent him down?

Players fly when they suffer concussions. Pettersson didn’t spend a week in sunrise FLA after his concussion. Generally within 24-48 hours after a concussion that player is on a plane back home if the injury occurred on the road.

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland

They sent him down on sept 28. How far along was he in his recovery when they sent him down? What was the point of sending him down at that point? Shouldn’t the Canucks have wanted him to be fully recovered with a practice or two under his belt before they sent him down?

Players fly when they suffer concussions. Pettersson didn’t spend a week in sunrise FLA after his concussion. Generally within 24-48 hours after a concussion that player is on a plane back home if the injury occurred on the road.

Teams are not very skilled at diagnosing and treating head trauma.

At least we are not asking them to walk it off or have Sami Kapanen as comic relief with Benny Hill music at the end of a hockey highlight.

StreetHawk

Sep 30, 2017
Teams are not very skilled at diagnosing and treating head trauma.

At least we are not asking them to walk it off or have Sami Kapanen as comic relief with Benny Hill music at the end of a hockey highlight.
Each player responds differently so I get that. Like one person can have a bad reaction to medication compared to the population.

Just wondering what the reason was to send him to Utica unless he’s fully cleared for action? No cap issues here as the Canucks are well below it. And for the roster they could have put him on IR so he doesn’t count against the 23 man roster.

So, if he was cleared to the point where he just needs to get back into game shape then it’s simply a bad reaction on his part. But if he’s not fully symptom free I don’t get the benefit of sending him down. Wouldn’t you want your team watching over his recovery?

PuckMunchkin

Very Nice, Very Evil!
Dec 13, 2006
Lapland
Each player responds differently so I get that. Like one person can have a bad reaction to medication compared to the population.

Just wondering what the reason was to send him to Utica unless he’s fully cleared for action? No cap issues here as the Canucks are well below it. And for the roster they could have put him on IR so he doesn’t count against the 23 man roster.

So, if he was cleared to the point where he just needs to get back into game shape then it’s simply a bad reaction on his part. But if he’s not fully symptom free I don’t get the benefit of sending him down. Wouldn’t you want your team watching over his recovery?

Botchford wrote on The Athletic that Demko asked Benning for more time before flying and was denied it.

DL44

Status quo
Sep 26, 2006

Bruises and soft tissue damage and then getting on a flight can drastically increase swelling in that injury.
Making that connection with concussions was slower to come around... but logic is there... concussion=brain bruise=potential swelling... so susceptible to a similar swelling effect from a plane ride right after injury, like Lovejoy's:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad