Post-Game Talk (GBU): That should do it for Housley's tenure, right?

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
View attachment 206073

For clarity, I've highlighted the Sabres' 2018-19 campaign. :sarcasm:

I'm not sure you needed the highlighter though lol

Add competent goalie to the offseason to do list.

I've not been an Ullmark fan since day 1.He used to fall forward all the time and that goal tonight it looked like he just tried to get his head out of the path of the puck because...he was falling forward. We picked Hutton up in f/a last year and I'm sure we can pick up someone much better than Linus at a reasonable number.

Nelson was bad
Ullmark was comical. His goalie coach blaming the defense? Allen needs to go

Yep.

Olofsson, Pilut, and Nylander are on the roster to start next year yeah?

Ullmark looked like he ducked out of the way of the puck thus letting in 3 garbage goals in one game.

Ullmark should have a bunch of flopping fish on his helmet instead of minions.

Yep

So the Sabres played tonight, eh??

Nice to hear but they still lost right?

It was mid 60's outside today. Real life took priority.

Why are you trolling us? And with the time change from you are no less. Really man? Piss off.

Last edited:

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY
That weird hip-pivot c-cut hitch thing Skinner does to accelerate when he's trying to pass guys on the rush is mesmerizing, because it actually works. It accelerates him. Most players bend their knees and pump their legs harder, and he does that to the same effect. It's all I can think about right now.

Buffaloed

webmaster
Feb 27, 2002
Niagara Falls
Last time I looked, he was listed as a goalie, right? So, getting hit by pucks should be in the job description, correct?
That was a desperation lunge. He didn't react to the pass until it was far too late and he was too far back in his crease.

linus2.jpg linus1.jpglinus3.jpg

Tatre

Jan 12, 2019
That weird hip-pivot c-cut hitch thing Skinner does to accelerate when he's trying to pass guys on the rush is mesmerizing, because it actually works. It accelerates him. Most players bend their knees and pump their legs harder, and he does that to the same effect. It's all I can think about right now.
He did it these two games in a row, and it is what you say. I just wish he could pass to someone (not always a guy across the ice) because the goalie saw it coming and sealed up.

Reactions: GellMann

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
Ridiculously poor technique on the OT goal. I understand the idea of lunging forward to increase body surface. But that was the wrong time.

Ullmark needed to just go hard to the far post with his torso. The chance that the shooter goes far side is low. Really difficult to make that shot. It’s a much better bet to just seal off short side.

On that play, he’s beat. Just butterfly slide to the back post, go skate to post, lean left and seal the post, and play the odds. If the shooter gets it over his head and left shoulder, you tip your cap and tell him great shot.

Likely, it hits him shoulders or mask. It’s the whole reason a goalie uses the RVH.

Allen is a problem.

beerme1

Jun 27, 2011
I'm extremely uncomfortable with this line of thinking. While the vast majority of goalie coaches are extremely bad, and actually do a disservice to the goalies they are attempting to "coach," I don't think we have enough information about Andrew Allen as a coach. Ullmark had poor balance and was practically a "stand up goalie" (to the extent such a thing existed) back when he was drafted. His game has, very clearly, evolved for the better. He's not perfect, of course.

A game like this is a fantastic learning opportunity for Ullmark. *WHY DID YOU FALL OVER?* I'll agree that Allen needs to be fired immediately *IF* he isn't addressing that specific question immediately. But, TO BE CLEAR: I'm not talking about just ****ing dressing down a pro athlete. What I'm saying is, a proper coach asks, "Why did you fall down?" and "How do we fix that?" "How do we play this next time so that you don't give up this goal?" "What did you see? What did your body do in response?" "Was that reaction right or wrong?" "Why?"

To the bolded part I can only shake my head. Ullmark as an Amerk, Sabre whatever has always had that bad goalie syndrome of falling forward when attempting to make a save which leaves a lot of exposed net behind him as he's falling. Can you link any video of him being a stand up goalie?
When you say stand up goalie I think old school and nobody has played like that in years and I really really wish they would. Some bodies are better suited for it than others so you need to go with what you got and what you're good at I guess but I hate the modern goalie.
On their knees trying to hug the post only to give up the goal over the shoulder. Stand up. Stand up and be a man I say. You've got all the armor you need stand up. Unless your Mike Palmateer or Hasek or some slinky type and that is your thing and you're good at it just stand the f*** up block the net and absorb the shot. Goalie coaches like Allen are killing the position. Be gone with him and Linus. Move on.

Man of Principles

The Krueger Effect
Nov 30, 2011
If people here are serious about the billboard idea count me in for $50. Hiring Q and firing Housley is a no brainer. At this point I would take Lindy back over Housley coming back in year 3.

Olofsson and Nylander give me hope.

Eichel, Dahlin, Reinhart, Montour, Risto, the 2019 top 10 pick, 2019 top 25 pick, Mitts, Nylander, Olofsson, Samuelsson and Pilut is a very good 25 under core. This team showed the talent is there. We just need better coaching and goaltending throughout the entire season to actually succeed.

A major positive is our offense improved leaps and bounds. Best offensive production since 10-11 our last playoff season. Next season they will hit the 3 gpg mark.

It's worked before. Everyone has been upset for the last 10 years but not upset enough to take it up a notch. The fans could put more pressure on the organization, and a billboard would be the first logical step. We're not talking about English soccer fan crazy, but this f****n' city's gotta rally hard at this point.

HaNotsri

Regstred User
Dec 29, 2013
Are there many trashcans around keybank center?
A cheap alternative to billboard could be stickers that says ”Put trash where it belongs” and a picture of Phil. Trashcans near where Pegulas live is another good option.

An ad on a garbagetruck could be a cheap option as well.

Reactions: sabremike

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
The Good:

- VO played his game in the offensive zone: dangerous shots, smart puck decisions. He was a crossbar off from a goal and multiple point night.
- The defense without the Three Stooges was pretty good at retrieving, moving and supporting the puck. There was only a couple of "WTF" moments for the game vs. per period or even per shift.
- Mitts had one of his best games of the year, both in terms of production but also smart decision making and his physical engagement.
- Frozen Four playoff weekend! Much non-Sabre (ie. good) hockey to watch in the next few days!

The Bad:

- Team Daisy Curl remains in full effect. They actively take the puck away from dangerous areas to deliberately funnel it back to the point for shooting attempts. Few go to the net, almost none stay.
- Reinhart had a great pass on the GTG but he was more than a step off last night. He cost them in goals against. His PKing shifs were painful to watch.

The Ugly:

- Sobotka passing the puck into Ullmark's feet? Coasting into his own zone? Missing coverage? Hey, we get it, you don't like it here. And we too would like it if you weren't used in the role you are in - in point of fact we fans would like to see you not used in any role going forward in Buffalo. Go away.
- Ullmark looks shattered. That shot through his glove? The GWG? The dribbler? What a mess.
- Waking up to see Phil is still employed. Again.
- The team's position in the standings.
- Tank talk in the GDT. f*** losing.

Reactions: oldgoalie

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Watch Ullmark get traded for a 4th to Islanders next season, only to mark a 94% save percentage and win the Vezina.

Reactions: Vito_81

Vito_81

Jul 23, 2006
Toronto
Watch Ullmark get traded for a 4th to Islanders next season, only to mark a 94% save percentage and win the Vezina.

Something needs to be done with the goalies. But I really don’t know what you can do...

Give up on Ullmark? He’s still young enough for that to come back to bite you. But he certainly can’t be expected to be more than the backup heading into next season.

Move Hutton? It’s hard enough to attact UFA’s. You really shouldn’t be trading one away after 1 season. However, he’s shown to be what he is, an okay backup goalie.

We have two NHL backups IMO. One for certain in Hutton, one most likely to top out as one in Ullmark.

I think Botts comes back with the same tandem. But I hope he at least brings in a 3rd guy to at least make it some sort of competition.

Reddawg

We're all mad here
Sponsor
Mar 22, 2007
Rochester, NY
Ullmark has shown several flashes of dominan brilliance this season, I’m not ready to quit on him based on a second half of nearly everyone sucking / mailing it in. I need to see at least another season of him getting at least 35+ starts.

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Something needs to be done with the goalies. But I really don’t know what you can do...

Give up on Ullmark? He’s still young enough for that to come back to bite you. But he certainly can’t be expected to be more than the backup heading into next season.

Move Hutton? It’s hard enough to attact UFA’s. You really shouldn’t be trading one away after 1 season. However, he’s shown to be what he is, an okay backup goalie.

We have two NHL backups IMO. One for certain in Hutton, one most likely to top out as one in Ullmark.

I think Botts comes back with the same tandem. But I hope he at least brings in a 3rd guy to at least make it some sort of competition.

Hire new goalie coaches.

Implement a better defensive system to help the goalies more.

DON'T have three offensive defencemen (top-6) followed by 3 non-offensive defencemen, who still can't defend.

What this team needs is a rock of a defensive defenceman, who does not have to do anything more than pass the puck to his puck-moving partner, when he gets the puck.

2-way defensive rocks are super-expensive, but defencemen who are black holes offensively, xan be had relatively cheap.

I have always wanted Adam Larsson, who I know is much better than he has been able to show in Edmonton.

Wgen he played in the WC, he was just as good as guys like OEL.

Other candidates are Manson and Forbort for example.

Stralman is a UFA and has looked bad after his injury, but I bet he will bounce back til next season.

Buff15Sabres

Mar 23, 2017
I guess I'm the only one here that thinks our defensive coverage was a bigger issue than goaltending last night. You shouldn't blame the goalie when the defense continually allows cross ice passes to uncovered guys in dangerous areas for 1 timers.

This game really reminded me of the 6-5 OT loss to Carolina

TheMistyStranger

ミスト
May 21, 2005
Hire new goalie coaches.

Implement a better defensive system to help the goalies more.

DON'T have three offensive defencemen (top-6) followed by 3 non-offensive defencemen, who still can't defend.

What this team needs is a rock of a defensive defenceman, who does not have to do anything more than pass the puck to his puck-moving partner, when he gets the puck.

Yes

Yes

Yes

What’s Brad Brown up to these days? I think Borgen is the guy you’re describing, btw. And moving further forward, Samuelsson.

Reactions: PatrikBerglund

PatrikBerglund

May 29, 2017
Semi realistic Pipe-dream, for next season.

Dahlin-Larsson

Montour-Stralman

Pilut-Forbort/Borgen

The rest traded, sent to AHL or bought out.

Then I would ultimately want at least one physically intimidating defenceman and two forwards who can and will throw down when needed, to protect the young studs.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad