Post-Game Talk (GBU): That should do it for Housley's tenure, right?

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I think Andrew Allen might be the worst goaltending coach in the NHL. When the Sabres goalies stumble they don't snap out of it. Allen is supposed to be monitoring them and helping them fix their mechanics.
After watching this tandem all season, I’m surprised to learn they actually have a goalie coach? What the f*** has he been doing all season?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Coming back twice from two goals down is very nice. Good heart on that. I thought they controlled the majority of play except the last 8 minutes of the first.

There are enough ok and good players on this team to be better than they are. But they're still playing the same spring an outlet pass to a lone forward quickly collapsed upon by 3 defenders system. It worked before teams caught on to it.

They lose in transition, and manage on the fly shift changes haphazardly.

A new coach and a year of experience will make a big difference.

Reactions: MagnumForce2

GellMann

Dec 16, 2014
Lancaster NY

Sabres.PNG

Just in case anyone wanted to see this data represented another way.

For clarity, I've highlighted the Sabres' 2018-19 campaign. :sarcasm:

To be fair to the boys, they may well approach that 75 point threshold yet!!

flashsabre

Apr 5, 2003
Visit site
The OT goal and the Larkin goal where Ullmark was down and out and flopping for 45 seconds were some of the worst goaltending I have seen in many years.
I could picture Torts running on the ice and punching Ullmark in the face at the end of OT if he was coaching here.

Add competent goalie to the offseason to do list.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Nelson was bad
Ullmark was comical. His goalie coach blaming the defense? Allen needs to go

Oloffson had plenty of chances. He dogged it back against the GWG though. Not sure how the coach is going to take that.

Another game where we outchance all game but get zero leeway on our own mistakes. Luck might swing if they ever put someone in front of the net on a cycle geez

Kyndig

Jan 3, 2012
Olofsson, Pilut, and Nylander are on the roster to start next year yeah?

Wish Olofsson would've scored on that 3 on 1. Dahlin point + Olofsson goal would've been nice...still nice to see Olofsson with his first point.

Mitts has been better in the second half of the season despite the team sucking.

Bad shot by Olofsson in OT and I have no clue where he was on the back check. Reinhart had an option of cover 1 of 2 people and covered neither nor the pass option. Ullmark looked like he ducked out of the way of the puck thus letting in 3 garbage goals in one game.

Team defense has been garbage without scapegoat Risto...maybe just maybe its been coaching all along? Goaltender coach has to go too. Ullmark should have a bunch of flopping fish on his helmet instead of minions.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
The OT goal and the Larkin goal where Ullmark was down and out and flopping for 45 seconds were some of the worst goaltending I have seen in many years.
I could picture Torts running on the ice and punching Ullmark in the face at the end of OT if he was coaching here.

goaltending may have cost us 20 points this year. It has been that bad

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I think Andrew Allen might be the worst goaltending coach in the NHL. When the Sabres goalies stumble they don't snap out of it. Allen is supposed to be monitoring them and helping them fix their mechanics.

I'm extremely uncomfortable with this line of thinking. While the vast majority of goalie coaches are extremely bad, and actually do a disservice to the goalies they are attempting to "coach," I don't think we have enough information about Andrew Allen as a coach. Ullmark had poor balance and was practically a "stand up goalie" (to the extent such a thing existed) back when he was drafted. His game has, very clearly, evolved for the better. He's not perfect, of course.

A game like this is a fantastic learning opportunity for Ullmark. *WHY DID YOU FALL OVER?* I'll agree that Allen needs to be fired immediately *IF* he isn't addressing that specific question immediately. But, TO BE CLEAR: I'm not talking about just f***ing dressing down a pro athlete. What I'm saying is, a proper coach asks, "Why did you fall down?" and "How do we fix that?" "How do we play this next time so that you don't give up this goal?" "What did you see? What did your body do in response?" "Was that reaction right or wrong?" "Why?"

Buffalo Norsemen

Mar 7, 2019
Sportsplex
They had one of the best goalie coaches in the business in Mitch Korn, good for Korn that he got away from this dysfunctional circus.

Nelson was bad
Ullmark was comical. His goalie coach blaming the defense? Allen needs to go

Oloffson had plenty of chances. He dogged it back against the GWG though. Not sure how the coach is going to take that.

Another game where we outchance all game but get zero leeway on our own mistakes. Luck might swing if they ever put someone in front of the net on a cycle geez

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
I'm extremely uncomfortable with this line of thinking. While the vast majority of goalie coaches are extremely bad, and actually do a disservice to the goalies they are attempting to "coach," I don't think we have enough information about Andrew Allen as a coach. Ullmark had poor balance and was practically a "stand up goalie" (to the extent such a thing existed) back when he was drafted. His game has, very clearly, evolved for the better. He's not perfect, of course.

A game like this is a fantastic learning opportunity for Ullmark. *WHY DID YOU FALL OVER?* I'll agree that Allen needs to be fired immediately *IF* he isn't addressing that specific question immediately. But, TO BE CLEAR: I'm not talking about just ****ing dressing down a pro athlete. What I'm saying is, a proper coach asks, "Why did you fall down?" and "How do we fix that?" "How do we play this next time so that you don't give up this goal?" "What did you see? What did your body do in response?" "Was that reaction right or wrong?" "Why?"

People pay a lot of money to understand how to be a coach and I just gave it away for free. woops. lol, actually I am dumb, don't listen to me.

MagnumForce2

Dec 16, 2011
Nice to hear but they still lost right?

It was mid 60's outside today. Real life took priority.
Yeah they lost in OT....they were down 4-2 in the 3rd and scored 2 goals within a minute of each other near the end of the 3rd to send it to OT....Mittlestadt had one and Olafsson made a nice pass on a 2 on 1 to Eichel for the other.

BananaSquad

Jun 13, 2013
Niagara

It was ugly to watch live.

DolanPlsGoSabres

スカンデッラ
Mar 17, 2013
Nagoya

toomuchsauce

Jan 7, 2015
"See this here...yeah - see how you gave up this goal? Yeah. Okay, well, SUCK LESS NEXT TIME"

- coaches

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad