Post-Game Talk (GBU): That one hurts

Dreakon13

Jun 28, 2010
Mighty Taco, NY
I just don’t see why it being public/private makes a difference- I know it’s taboo currently, and I just don’t get why.
If I had to guess, it's that now this is probably going to come up in every media scrum the rest of the year. It'll amplify if the team continues to play poorly, or any night Ullmark/Reinhart struggle in particular. Which is at best, annoying. At worst, demotivating.

Not to mention the media tends to embellish or outright lie, so giving them ammo to do so is usually a bad decision. Depending on the severity of said lies, it can mess with a player/teams confidence... especially if they're already struggling, these people are human afterall trying to make it in the best league in the world... or worse their personal lives, their careers, etc. Just look at how twisted things got the last few years with Eichel and Murray/Bylsma, kids vs vets, Jack vs Lehner.

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
While there weren't any soft goals, Ullmark needed to make a save tonight. He failed. His grade for the night is a big red F

On the first goal, he was far too slow to begin shifting to the right. Far too slow. A big save that could've been made. Wasn't in position for a couple of the others

Let's not forget all of the posts that Carolina hit tonight as well. They easily could have scored 10 on less than 30 shots. 100% unacceptable

Are you serious? If Ullmark makes the save on the first goal, it’s a save of the year candidate.

TheDawnOfANewTage

Dahlin, it’ll all be fine
Dec 17, 2018
If I had to guess, it's that now this is probably going to come up in every media scrum the rest of the year. It'll amplify if the team continues to play poorly, or any night Ullmark/Reinhart struggle in particular. Which is at best, annoying. At worst, demotivating.

Not to mention the media tends to embellish or outright lie, so giving them ammo to do so is usually a bad decision. Depending on the severity of said lies, it can mess with a player/teams confidence... especially if they're already struggling, these people are human afterall trying to make it in the best league in the world... or worse their personal lives, their careers, etc. Just look at how twisted things got the last few years with Eichel and Murray/Bylsma, kids vs vets, Jack vs Lehner.

Fair enough, I guess that’s where I just hope they have the comradere and honesty with each other to talk it out and ignore the noise from the outside. I don’t see it as exacerbating problems, I see it more as an honest take that they can then build from. I guess I feel like if the relationship is broken it’s broken, and whether we know that or not is irrelevant- whereas if Sam feels comfortable going public with something usually kept behind closed doors, either a) he goofed but it was an issue anyways, or b) they have a good enough bond to have somethin like that said and it’s just honesty and not a big deal.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
4j6iwg.jpg
That must be an old picture since he's not sitting on his hands.

old kummelweck

Nov 10, 2003
The point is not that the goaltending isnt subpar, its that the defense regularly exacerbates the problem
Of course it's sub-par. NHL goalies are expected to make 1 save every 10 shots with marginal defense in front of them. Ullmark makes average saves look better than they are, and flops himself way out of position by over-reacting to passing plays. They need another big save or two from him. Hutton is Hutton - they are getting what they knew they were getting.

Icicle

Think big
Oct 16, 2005
Ullmark didn't let any softies in at all last night. He lost his positioning in the net a couple of times, but they came after fluke tips and plays that the defenseman botched in the first place and he felt the need to go 'all Hasek' just to save the puck. There was literally an article earlier this week praising him for going 'all Hasek', and now people think that's reason to blame him?

Absolute joke. Reinhart is off his rocker if he thinks he has an ounce of ground to stand on. This is no third rail, this is a prima donna out to lunch. Ullmark has had bad games, but this was not one of them. The Sabres offense showed they can show up and play hockey when they decide to, but it was not until they were down goals late. When that's what is going on-- it's the offense that's out to pasture, not the goalie's fault the game got out of hand.

Housley blaming the GM for his defenders is pretty petty. I wholly believe the rumors now that they were all sat down last week and told changes are coming, nobody is safe, unless they get their act together. You don't hear comments like that unless the guy feels pressured, and I'm glad he is. Playing Sobotka in any capacity is simply not defensible.

But Reinhart is yet another chump saying things to find his way off this team while tanking his trade value in the process. Despicable.

Dubi Doo

Aug 27, 2008
Good for him. Sometimes things need to be said and it’s the leaders who say them.
Not to the press, tho. I'm a huge fan of Sam, but he threw his teammate under the bus. You can take it to the team in the lockerroom, but you should never take it to the media.

oldgoalie

Goaltending matters.
Jan 7, 2004
VA
I wasn't crazy about Ullmark's moves on the OT goal. Otherwise, he sure as hell didn't get a lot of support.
But, our team goaltending has been subpar, and our defense are standing around admiring the scenery.
Something needs to light a fire under this team's collective asses.

BowieSabresFan

Nov 18, 2010
Not to the press, tho. I'm a huge fan of Sam, but he threw his teammate under the bus. You can take it to the team in the lockerroom, but you should never take it to the media.

This, no matter who you are, you keep those comments in your locker room. That is not cool, and he doesn’t get a pass on that.

Zip15

Jun 3, 2009
Bodymore
I didn't get home until they were already down 2-0, but we didn't play terribly. Goaltending wasn't the best, and Eichel and Dahlin weren't their normal selves. I'm more concerned that the team appears to be coming apart at the seams because they lost a big game in OT.

Also, for the record, Phil needs to play Hutton more at home and Ullmark more on the road - a home B2B, like this weekend, an obvious exception. Here are the goaltenders' splits:

Hutton
Home: 10-5-2, .922
Away: 5-10-1, .894

Ullmark
Home: 5-2-2, .890
Road: 6-3-2, .923

Ullmark gets goal support at home, but he's performing far better on the road. Hutton has generally been good at home, but he's stunk on the road. I'd bet anyone $1 that Phil isn't even aware of the splits.

dortt

Sep 21, 2018
Houston, TX
That wasn't a big save. That would've been a top 50 NHL all-time save.

Ever try to come post to post, full extension, and stop something bar down in the top corner?

top 50 of all time save? Holy hyperbole. This isn't the Klatt save or anything. It's a save we have seen goalies make this year.

He didn't allow softies. But that does not mean he was not part of the problem

Reactions: JackTheRipper

Der Jaeger

Generational EBUG
Feb 14, 2009
Cair Paravel
top 50 of all time save? Holy hyperbole. This isn't the Klatt save or anything. It's a save we have seen goalies make this year.

He didn't allow softies. But that does not mean he was not part of the problem

As a goalie, the save you think he should've made is among the most difficult things you can ask a goalie to do. It's why teams so side to side and then pick corners. If you get it through the defense and hit the shot, it's nearly impossible to save.

CatsforReinhart

Jul 27, 2014
Frankfurt
This is very revealing. Not a stock type answer. Pointed the finger elsewhere and said, ask Jason. HC's don't do that. The pressure is growing and the reactions to it are discerning.

The players will remember how Phil handled this one.
How Phil handled this one or how Botts handled this one? If I am Eichel, Reinhart, Skinner I am wondering why Botts is sitting on his hands trying to figure out how to GM.

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Many here forget or were too young to remember how dom used to publicly call out the team, even management.

If the goalies are hurt by comments about their bad play, they are snowflakes who need to be sent packing

You seem like someone who manages others for a living. Are you available for seminars, or other inspirational talks?

SnuggaRUDE

Apr 5, 2013
Action Plan:
1. Rivet Scandella
2. Build support for the breakouts through a low dropping C
3. Lightening the Forecheck
a. hasn't been effective
b. use neutral zone to counter attack
4. Physical blue line defense from RHD
5. Stop kicking it to LHD for point shots on setups

Their schemes have been too predicable, and other teams are using a lack of speed at wings as a way to split the F1-F3 (forecheck), and the Ws (breakouts) from the defenders. Unless the center makes a hero play on the backcheck they're giving up good looks.

Reactions: brian_griffin

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->