Thanks to Chevy

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
What you are seeing today, is 100% a result of a patience that was exercised by Chevy, to build this organically, build it systematically, and most importantly, build it with sustainability. When you were complaining about Chevy not filling this or that hole, replacing certain players, or trading for certain asset, many were applauding that he was not making knee jerk reaction to make us marginally better, so we miss out of top end picks in the lottery. We didn't need a better goalie, 2 or 3 years ago, one that masked our deficiencies, but never addressing them. There was no quick fixes here, not if you do it the right way.

So I will end it with this. For those that complained about this team during the building years, that stated Chevy was an incompetent GM, scared to make moves, to speed up the process, that we were not doing enough to make this team better, PLEASE understand how we got to where we are today, understand that it was because of that patience, that slow methodical build, that is giving us our first TRUE chance of winning a Stanley Cup. It takes a decade to do it right, just look at Nashville, a team that was being drafted starting in 2008.

We will have to repeat this build at some point over the next decade, and I hope that our fan base has gained a better education on this process, and will be more supportive of it the next go around.

My favorite part of this all, was watching the development of this team, seeing it going from a young inexperienced team to a Cup contender, is the best part of being a fan, supporting a team during the hard years, and watching them grow. I can watch today knowing that I supported every inch of this build, enjoyed the hard years, watching a team learn lessons and grow from them.

To be honest, now that we are winning, not sure what to do with myself now that I don't have to argue with ignorance about this team, not getting into debates about this team heading in the right direction, its all rosey in jet land these days.

A shame that you have such disdain for fellow Jet fans here, but at least you agree with me that Chevy deserves a pat on the back. I enjoy finding common ground with other passionate posters. Awesome!

Last edited:

burnoutberry

May 2, 2016
True North
From the day this franchise arrived in Winnipeg in 2011 Chipman and Chevy have had a plan to draft and develop. Chipman has given Chevy the ability to be patient through the dry years by extending Chevy's contract and not having to fear losing his job due to lack of early success. In turn, Chevy has given Maurice the freedom to give young players ice time in order to give them opportunities to develop into their potential all the while not having the coaching staff fearing their jobs. From top to bottom the Jets organization has had a plan and has stuck to it. Somewhat unfortunately, the season ticket holders had to spend many thousands of dollars to get to where we're at right now. The time has now come. Let's win a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Eyeseeing and GNP

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Small market doesnt mean anything. How deep is the owners pocket does.

It being a small market DOES mean something, Chevyldayoff's hands were tied for years being unable to sign any real high quality UFAs due to 'it's Winnipeg'. Even trades were tough with players not willing to waive NTCS etc. It was only this year that we started seeing that ice crack with Stastny wanting to actually be traded here.

Chevy has done remarkably well, all things considered.

Skidooboy

Jun 22, 2011
L4 Kordylewski Cloud
BBKrHVn.img

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
A shame that you have such disdain for fellow Jet fans here, but at least you agree with me that Chevy deserves a pat on the back. I enjoy finding common ground with other passionate posters. Awesome!
Disdain?

Nope just calling out some that showed an absurd level of disdain towards our GM while he was building this masterpiece.

To be honest, it is more of a perplexed feeling i have with those that thought Chevy was a bad GM, thought he was running this into the ground. Its like, how did you not understand what he was building years ago, can you not see the increase in talent?

I dont think you have to be an NHL insider to understand Chevy was increasing the talent and skill level evey year since he took over this team. Wins are the last thing to come, but some people cant see through that , can only measure by it.

Last edited:

Whileee

May 29, 2010
While the Jets were on the verge of this outstanding season, a main board thread was created suggesting that Chayka is a top-3 GM in the NHL, as an overflow of the HF Jets' admiration of other teams' GMs, in comparison to Chevy.

Analyst365

Oct 24, 2011
Victoria
Disdain?

Nope just calling out some that showed an absurd level of disdain towards our GM while he was building this masterpiece.

To be honest, it is more of a perplexed feeling i have with those that thought Chevy was a bad GM, thought he was running this into the ground. Its like, how did you not understand what he was building years ago, can you not see the increase in talent?

I dont think you have to be an NHL insider to understand Chevy was increasing the talent and skill level evey year since he took over this team. Wins are the last thing to come, but some people cant see through it, can only measure by it.

Please ... it's great how things are working out ... but you make it sound like it was a nailed-on certainty, which it certainly wasn't, and that you were the only one to get what was going on.

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
Disdain?

Well, you labelled the people that have a different opinion as you ignorant. Sounds like disdain to me.

But hey, I am glad that we agree that he deserves kudos for building a contending team.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I'm not sure how long for the world this thread is, considering there's also a lot of personal attacks veiled in generalities.

I don't see the value in this thread right now. Chevy is a divisive person and if I we're to present my view of how we got here I'd likely cause an unnecessary argument when we're in the Western Conference final. Instead of patting each other on the backs and spiking the football on the 10 yard line how about we enjoy the ride and stop trying to incite?

winnipegger

Dec 17, 2013
Well he screwed up several times but the good thing about his screwups were they didn't doom the franchise in a long term way. Screwed up on Pavelec, giving up a 2nd for Setoguchi, too much term to Stuart, some others that aren't coming to mind....the team probably could have had some 1 and done playoff appearances from 2011 - 2017 if he had acquired a real goalie.

BUT for the stuff that really mattered to long term success he hit it out of the park. Those 1st round picks are the life blood of any building franchise. Not a single whiff. Not even a slightly disappointing pick. Every 1st round pick has been gold.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Let me just leave it at this. If it's possible for Chevy to be a good GM but the team misses the playoffs for 5 out of 6 seasons, shouldn't the inverse be a true?

If Chiarelli can win a Cup in Boston and be the leagues laugh stock in 2018 doesn't it mean a team can have success and their GM can still be a bozo?

Food for thought. I'm going to have lunch and think about the game tonight. Snacks, drinks, etc. Good times :)

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
I think the personal attacks veiled in generalities comes from people who were for the most part positive about the process who had to suffer those personal attacks veiled in generalities.

Even after all the success this team has had there are those who make those comments and suggestions that would be a 180 of the direction this team and organization is taking and that is just a bit annoying to those supporters who want to see where this team will go with the current process

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
I think the personal attacks veiled in generalities comes from people who were for the most part positive about the process who had to suffer those personal attacks veiled in generalities.

Even after all the success this team has had there are those who make those comments and suggestions that would be a 180 of the direction this team and organization is taking and that is just a bit annoying to those supporters who want to see where this team will go with the current process

Sorry come again?

Jake Barnes

Apr 25, 2018
Winnipeg
Please ... it's great how things are working out ... but you make it sound like it was a nailed-on certainty, which it certainly wasn't, and that you were the only one to get what was going on.

I agree that it wasn't a certainty, but it was a high probability. Luck plays a factor in everything, but those who are most successful in business know that you make your own luck to a great extent. The way to do that is by having a sound plan of action. Chipman's a pretty savvy business man, and I doubt he green-lights the two year "step back" following the Ducks series unless he agrees with Chevy that we need to pick up a few more pieces in the draft and let the ones we already have mature a little more before making our real push. Obviously getting Laine was luck, but we would have still picked up another great piece at 6 that year and I dare say we'd be right where we are even without Laine. (disclaimer: Love Laine and would definitely rather have him than whoever we would have taken at 6....just before anyone gets the wrong idea)

I've lurked for a number of years now, and I do know that a minority of posters here totally saw the big picture plan and knew what the end game was. Sure, we could have tried to fortify things after 2015 and try to make the playoffs every year like most wanted, but that would have only led to us being another Minnesota i.e. make the playoffs most years, but never have a real shot to take it all.

Don't know about you guys, but I'm much more happy that we waited; this team is something special.

Reactions: KingBogo

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
Small market doesnt mean anything. How deep is the owners pocket does.

Nope. Owners pocket depth only matters in smoothing out erratic cash flow or if the owner is near broke.

The team has to pay its way.

Mortimer Snerd

You kids get off my lawn!
Sponsor
Jun 10, 2014
I mean for next year.

But for sure Roslo will be the one.
Roslo is very skinny kid right now. He need some muscles :)
But talent is there no doubt.

For sure? You mean that 14th F, 4RW? He is still a long way from having shown the talent to be a top 6 C. We aren't sure if he can be a bottom 6 C yet.

He has shown some promise but it is more than just a matter of time.

Joe Hallenback

Mar 4, 2005
Sorry come again?

In terms you can understand.

Listening to the same posters bitch and moan about everything while you are trying to be positive is annoying. Listening to those same posters bitch and wine after the winning starts is even more annoying

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
So the guy who continues to discredit Chevy's role in constructing this team is giving lessons in bias.
Priceless.

I didn't write the wiki, nor did I come up with this bias itself. There's nothing priceless about it, it's my opinion. You're also confusing bias'. Further... I don't have an inherit bias against Chevy. I simply think critically of his decisions as the GM. This thread is going pretty much exactly how I expected; the same gang of usual suspects who previously insisted results didn't matter now suddenly are hanging their hat on this seasons results. Nevermind the team was actually drafted and put together by our amateur scouting and a lottery ball gift Chevy Laine. Or that we avoided contract grenades when players like Ladd turned down what would have been anchors , saving Chevy from himself.

And around and around the circle we go. Can we just stop this nonsense and enjoy the winning?

Reactions: Board Bard

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
In terms you can understand.

Listening to the same posters ***** and moan about everything while you are trying to be positive is annoying. Listening to those same posters ***** and wine after the winning starts is even more annoying

I wasn't having trouble understanding your deep sentiments, I was having trouble reading your run on sentences lacking punctuation or spacing.

Reactions: Board Bard

Bartho

Feb 26, 2013
Wpg
I didn't write the wiki, nor did I come up with this bias itself. There's nothing priceless about it, it's my opinion. You're also confusing bias'. Further... I don't have an inherit bias against Chevy. I simply think critically of his decisions as the GM. This thread is going pretty much exactly how I expected; the same gang of usual suspects who previously insisted results didn't matter now suddenly are hanging their hat on this seasons results. Nevermind the team was actually drafted and put together by our amateur scouting and a lottery ball gift Chevy Laine. Or that we avoided contract grenades when players like Ladd turned down what would have been anchors , saving Chevy from himself.

And around and around the circle we go. Can we just stop this nonsense and enjoy the winning?
What's priceless is the utter lack of self-awareness required to state that others need to learn about bias, when one's own position is as biased as they come.

Puckatron 3000

Glitchy Prototype
Feb 4, 2014
Offensive Zone
I don't have an inherit bias against Chevy. I simply think critically of his decisions as the GM.

You should probably read some of those wiki articles you like to post. Maybe this one:
Negativity bias

This thread is going pretty much exactly how I expected; the same gang of usual suspects who previously insisted results didn't matter now suddenly are hanging their hat on this seasons results.

It's amazing, after all this time, you can still so utterly mischaracterize the arguments of those who supported Chevy's process. The argument has never been "results didn't matter". The argument has always been that there is a long term goal, which is to contend for the Stanley Cup (i.e. "results"). And that, while building towards this ultimate goal, it's ok to be bad for a while.

I'm enjoying it immensely. Especially so, because I have always believed in this team, it's management, and everything is unfolding exactly as I'd hoped and expected. I genuinely hope you are enjoying it too (and it seems so from some of your other posts). However, you're baiting lots of folks pretty hard in this thread, so you should expect a response.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad