Thanks to Chevy

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Plus all the others

That's not normal C depth. Yes it would be great! Its just not realistic.

howkie

Dec 13, 2014
This Statsny trade pays off for every day. i liked it from day one, and I would still do it everyday even if we got bounced by Nashville.
Btw Mcphee? How do you feel now? Thought you would make Jets worse by sending Brass to Pittsburg, but you end up with an even better Jets. Every time he tries to be smart, he fecks up, everytime does not use his brain he smash it. GMGM, biggest enigma in NHL?

Reactions: SoCalJetsFan

Channelcat

Unhinged user
Feb 8, 2013
Canada
Seems to me that Chevy has always been very well thought of. Yes, there's been a handful of critics, but the coaching staffs have taken far more heat than Chevy. I've been a huge fan since day 1, regardless of my thoughts on Noel, Pomo, Pavs etc.

Anyway......back on point, Yes he's assembled a very, very good team here.

Jetfaninflorida

Southernmost Jet Fan
Dec 13, 2013
Florida
I have given Chevy kudos at times, and have been very critical at times. I have been very consistent in that for me, the measure of success for a GM is the performance of the team in the standings and playoffs, and the trajectory of the team over time. Until this year, we have had very little success - one post season visit that ended in a first round exit in a sweep. And I have always said that you must run the race before you win the medal. They don't hand out gold medals before the competition begins.

At the beginning of this year, I stated that I was very optimistic. This due to three main factors - Chevy finally addressing the issues of LHD and Goaltending which have hampered us for years, plus an additional year for our promising youngsters and rookies to develop - yes, youngsters and rookies that Chevy acquired into our system. It is interesting that our free agency pickups from last summer aren't playing in playoffs, but they helped the team throughout the year. We will never know the effect that signing Mason had on Helle (if at all), but the results are there - that's what matters.

We have now accomplished a key success where the GM has earned his due. Winning one round of a playoffs is not the greatest accomplishment that some would say - it puts you in the top 25% of the teams in the league in that year. You would expect to win one round of playoffs every four years just to be average. We were a long way from that.

But this year, we have accomplished a significant feat. We have moved on to the conference final putting us in the top 13% of teams in the league. You would expect that to happen every about 8 years - on this metric we are ahead of target. Our accomplishment this year carries even more weight in that we had to beat the President's Cup winners and a team that already has deep playoff experience. The Preds were also the team that many pundits were expecting to return to the Stanley Cup Final. This accomplishment on it's own, regardless of what happens against Vegas, cannot be understated. Chevy has built a true contender. It has taken 7 years and we are here and Chevy deserves the credit.

His pickup of Stastny has proven to be probably the best rental acquisition in the league this year. And Morrow in the playoff games he has played has been better than expected. Well done Chevy.

So by my own measure of success for a GM, Chevy is getting it done. Regardless of what happens with Vegas, the team appears poised for several years of being very competitive. Well done, Chevy! Now, if we make it past Vegas to the cup finals it will be hard for me not to call Chevy a genius as a GM regardless of whether we win or not.

Gurilla

former goal scorer
Jan 28, 2015
Winnipeg
The guy had a plan all along and stuck to it. Making everyone eat crow this year. Him sighing the best deadline accquisition that nobody even knew was available was the icing on the cake.

In Chevy we trust.

Whileee

May 29, 2010
For the most part, Chevy has stuck to his guns and followed the "process" to develop a deep, talented team that should be competitive for an extended period of time.

I think there has been too much focus on short-term results on this board, and not enough on the process of building up an organization from the foundation, which really can only be done with an effective draft and develop model. It's more like chess than tiddlywinks. In chess, you can see how an advantage builds long before the game is won. I think the signs were unmistakable that Chevy was building up a strong and young and deep organization, even though the results were not yet realized. You can still mess up the end game, but Chevy made the right moves this year to build on the advantage he had accrued over the past several years.

Atoyot

Jul 19, 2013
Perfect man for this specific job. He was able to slowly build towards (hopefully) sustainable success without the team losing too much fan support. Anywhere else and he may have been canned for lack of results years ago.

MrBoJangelz71

Jan 14, 2014
I have given Chevy kudos at times, and have been very critical at times. I have been very consistent in that for me, the measure of success for a GM is the performance of the team in the standings and playoffs, and the trajectory of the team over time. Until this year, we have had very little success - one post season visit that ended in a first round exit in a sweep. And I have always said that you must run the race before you win the medal. They don't hand out gold medals before the competition begins.

At the beginning of this year, I stated that I was very optimistic. This due to three main factors - Chevy finally addressing the issues of LHD and Goaltending which have hampered us for years, plus an additional year for our promising youngsters and rookies to develop - yes, youngsters and rookies that Chevy acquired into our system. It is interesting that our free agency pickups from last summer aren't playing in playoffs, but they helped the team throughout the year. We will never know the effect that signing Mason had on Helle (if at all), but the results are there - that's what matters.

We have now accomplished a key success where the GM has earned his due. Winning one round of a playoffs is not the greatest accomplishment that some would say - it puts you in the top 25% of the teams in the league in that year. You would expect to win one round of playoffs every four years just to be average. We were a long way from that.

But this year, we have accomplished a significant feat. We have moved on to the conference final putting us in the top 13% of teams in the league. You would expect that to happen every about 8 years - on this metric we are ahead of target. Our accomplishment this year carries even more weight in that we had to beat the President's Cup winners and a team that already has deep playoff experience. The Preds were also the team that many pundits were expecting to return to the Stanley Cup Final. This accomplishment on it's own, regardless of what happens against Vegas, cannot be understated. Chevy has built a true contender. It has taken 7 years and we are here and Chevy deserves the credit.

His pickup of Stastny has proven to be probably the best rental acquisition in the league this year. And Morrow in the playoff games he has played has been better than expected. Well done Chevy.

So by my own measure of success for a GM, Chevy is getting it done. Regardless of what happens with Vegas, the team appears poised for several years of being very competitive. Well done, Chevy! Now, if we make it past Vegas to the cup finals it will be hard for me not to call Chevy a genius as a GM regardless of whether we win or not.

What you are seeing today, is 100% a result of a patience that was exercised by Chevy, to build this organically, build it systematically, and most importantly, build it with sustainability. When you were complaining about Chevy not filling this or that hole, replacing certain players, or trading for certain asset, many were applauding that he was not making knee jerk reaction to make us marginally better, so we miss out of top end picks in the lottery. We didn't need a better goalie, 2 or 3 years ago, one that masked our deficiencies, but never addressing them. There was no quick fixes here, not if you do it the right way.

So I will end it with this. For those that complained about this team during the building years, that stated Chevy was an incompetent GM, scared to make moves, to speed up the process, that we were not doing enough to make this team better, PLEASE understand how we got to where we are today, understand that it was because of that patience, that slow methodical build, that is giving us our first TRUE chance of winning a Stanley Cup. It takes a decade to do it right, just look at Nashville, a team that was being drafted starting in 2008.

We will have to repeat this build at some point over the next decade, and I hope that our fan base has gained a better education on this process, and will be more supportive of it the next go around.

My favorite part of this all, was watching the development of this team, seeing it going from a young inexperienced team to a Cup contender, is the best part of being a fan, supporting a team during the hard years, and watching them grow. I can watch today knowing that I supported every inch of this build, enjoyed the hard years, watching a team learn lessons and grow from them.

To be honest, now that we are winning, not sure what to do with myself now that I don't have to argue with ignorance about this team, not getting into debates about this team heading in the right direction, its all rosey in jet land these days.

Last edited by a moderator:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad