Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
Lets wait until game 25 to judge this trade.

JvR and Schenn both have the tools to perform at a very high level, both fan bases are seeing that early on.

Ryker

Oct 3, 2008
Triangle, NC, USA
yup. i agree. this is why i dont understand why people cant live with it. both teams traded a surplus for a need, and it should work out for both. both players have struggled, and both players CAN be great. whats the big deal. So far looks good for both clubs. Which in all honesty is what I think we all wanna see. Fair trades. Not every deal will be Zhitnik for Coburn. Or Upshall and a 2nd for Carcillo. Ill take Jvr for Schenn every time
No, it doesn't work like that, at least not here. A trade isn't good if it made your team better. A trade is only good if it made your team better than than it did the other team or, equally valid, if it made the other team worse than it did yours. It's who won and lost, there's no both team "winning". Gotta keep up with the logic displayed on these boards or you'll soon become unwelcome.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
My god, imagine that... a 23 year old power forward in training had some trouble with inconsistency. :laugh:

Is it really that unreasonable to question his consistency? The guy was like night and day for the majority of his time here. I'm glad he's playing well in Toronto. I just want to see him sustain this success over longer period of time before I can make a good judgement on him. I feel the same way with schenn.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
Is it really that unreasonable to question his consistency? The guy was like night and day for the majority of his time here. I'm glad he's playing well in Toronto. I just want to see him sustain this success over longer period of time before I can make a good judgement on him. I feel the same way with schenn.
At 23 years of age with a season nearly completely lost to injury, yes its completely unreasonable.

HeresJOHNNY

Jul 5, 2010
I'm so tired of people saying Luke Schenn is a good defenseman. Guy was brutal every year but his rookie season. And his so called good years weren't great either. The amount of turnovers and brain farts severely outweighs the occasional decent hit by far.

achdumeingute

Jun 28, 2011
NorCal
I'm so tired of people saying Luke Schenn is a good defenseman. Guy was brutal every year but his rookie season. And his so called good years weren't great either. The amount of turnovers and brain farts severely outweighs the occasional decent hit by far.
we are not seeing that so far at all.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006

I'm so tired of people saying JVR is a good forward. Guy was brutal every year except for the 2nd round of the 2011 playoffs. And his so called good moments weren't anything more than flashes of potential. The amount of disappearing acts and wide shots severely outweighs the occasional highlight by far.

Please. They've both played less than ten games in a new uniform. Inevitably, James will probably go through a streak where you barely hear his name throughout the game. And if he doesn't, good for you, you guys got a good player. If you took the time to watch the Flyers games or ask the people around here, you would find that Schenn has been remarkably consistent on a pretty bad team thus far. His passing and shot have been better than advertised, and he still can lay someone out. His positioning also looks pretty good for a guy that is less mobile than most of the players on the ice.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Gotta say this is a silly and ridiculous by a fellow Leafs fan.

JVR has been great and tonight was his best game. One way to describe his game tonight. BEAST. He was everywhere, he made some solid passes, created scoring chances with his speed and skill, went hard to the net, and made some solid defensive plays.

His rush near the end of the 3rd period was just phenomenal. The guy played his heart out tonight. He was the best player on the ice tonight, IMO.

lol i made this thread after a lot of beers and being pissed of about a loss in which JVR struggled mightily. Stupid? Ya a little but as a fan I think that's my right. It was more of a joke than anything. JVR has had bad games. He's had very good games. Most leaf fans are excited - I am too... but I'm going to wait for a larger sample size before I call him our saviour... In the last few games he has looked great though...

LeafOfBread

Feb 25, 2010
Mississauga, ON

I'm so tired of people saying Schenn was only good in his rookie season. It's like people erased 2010-2011 from their memories entirely. He was amazing that year, stop hating. Even in his second season, he was only bad for the first half and that's because he came out of camp with tendinitis and never had real time off to heal. Second half he played great.

PALE PWNR

Jul 10, 2010
Sewell NJ
I'm so tired of people saying Schenn was only good in his rookie season. It's like people erased 2010-2011 from their memories entirely. He was amazing that year, stop hating. Even in his second season, he was only bad for the first half and that's because he came out of camp with tendinitis and never had real time off to heal. Second half he played great.

Who cares, he's been phenomenal and likely our best D-man since he got here. It's either him or Grossmann.

false bobo

Dec 6, 2011
lol i made this thread after a lot of beers and being pissed of about a loss in which JVR struggled mightily. Stupid? Ya a little but as a fan I think that's my right. It was more of a joke than anything.

:facepalm:

Sorry Flyers fans.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
both players looks better so far for their respective new teams than i remember either of them looking at any point with their old teams. Luke Schenn, if he continues to play the way he's playing now, could develop into a decent #2 type of guy. JVR has looked hungrier with the leafs so far. he looks like a guy that want's to produce, unlike most of his time here where he looked like he was trying but not really thinking. If he continues to play this way, he could become a legit top like LW for you guys, and since a #1 defenseman is much more difficult to find than a #1 LW, i'd say a potential #1 LW for a potential #2 defenseman is a decent swap. so far the trade looks good for both sides, so let's stop the fighting!

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Im quite pleased with JvR so far as a Leafs fan. Schenn was my favourite Leaf since his draft, im happy hes regained form. I truely believe under a competent coach he can be a strong defensive dman.

Trade in the early going looks like a win- win

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
Who cares, he's been phenomenal and likely our best D-man since he got here. It's either him or Grossmann.

I would argue that L. Schenn has been our best all around D-man so far and I think it's reflected in his ice time. He's averaged a little over 2 min more per game then Grossmann and his ice time keeps going up. In the last game against the rags the flyers pp time in the 2nd and 3rd greatly reduced his overall ice time, after the first he was on pace for something like 27+ minutes. Obviously he probably wouldn't of played 27 min but maybe something like 25 min or so if not for all their pp time, which shows Lavy's faith/confidence in him. I know ice time isn't always an indication as to how a player is performing but I would argue that there is some sort of positive correlation.

cyris

On a Soma Holiday
Dec 6, 2008
3rd Planet From Sun.
Im quite pleased with JvR so far as a Leafs fan. Schenn was my favourite Leaf since his draft, im happy hes regained form. I truely believe under a competent coach he can be a strong defensive dman.

Trade in the early going looks like a win- win

This pretty much sums up how I feel as well.
Loved Luke in his time with us. Yea he struggled a bit at times but the potential was always there. One of the few guys that was always willing to stand up for his team mates.

Had mixed feelings about the trade at first, hated to see Luke go but understood we were dealing from a position of strength to address a position of weakness. Now JVR has been playing really well for us and hopefully Schenn keeps playing well for you guys.

Rusty Shackleford

Leafs Nation
Jul 14, 2005
Ottawa, Ontario
Glad to hear Schenn is moving around like he doesn't have cement in his skates anymore.

Hopefully this is a trade both teams can look back at positively.. Although I'd be BS'ing if I said I don't want the Leafs to get the slight edge. ;)

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA

Yes, it is unreasonable. Young players are almost always inconsistent in all sports. A lot of people expected Giroux to break out one season before he actually did. I don't remember him getting as much criticism as JVR but there was a time when people expected more out of him than they got.

I think when all is said and done, the Flyers will have traded the more valuable player. But I do like what Schenn can and has brought to the team. At least we got a useful player at a position of need.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes, it is unreasonable. Young players are almost always inconsistent in all sports. A lot of people expected Giroux to break out one season before he actually did. I don't remember him getting as much criticism as JVR but there was a time when people expected more out of him than they got.

I think when all is said and done, the Flyers will have traded the more valuable player. But I do like what Schenn can and has brought to the team. At least we got a useful player at a position of need.

I don't think Giroux is the best example to use. He broke out in the playoffs in his 2nd year in the league. He followed that up by putting up 76 points the following season while being the 3rd center most nights.

But like I said the guys not a bad player. He has potential to be a pretty good winger. I'm glad to hear he's playing well in Toronto. Odds are Toronto ends up winning this trade if JVR reaches his ceiling. I just want to see him play like this for a little longer than a couple of games.

Last edited:

SgtJoseph*

Even if JVR leads the NHL in goals this season i think its a bit much to straight out say it was a " bad move or trade "by the Flyers......Simply because its quite possible that his being traded may have been the move that made him realize a few things and do a little soul searching that he may have never done had he continued in Philly.

I like the lad and hope he reaches the potential many of us think he is capable of,,,,Sometimes a wake up call like being traded can help unleash ones inner strength and talent to prove something etc..And certainly his being healthy helps alot as well.

zarley zelepukin

Oct 25, 2008
Norristown, PA
I don't think Giroux is the best example to use. He broke out in the playoffs in his 2nd year in the league. He followed that up by putting up 76 points the following season while being the 3rd center most nights.

But like I said the guys not a bad player. He has potential to be a pretty good winger. I'm glad to hear he's playing well in Toronto. Odds are Toronto ends up winning this trade if JVR reaches his ceiling. I just want to see him play like this for a little longer than a couple of games.

Actually I was talking about the year before. He had 5 points in 6 playoff games (against the Pens I think) in the 09 playoffs. There were people who thought his breakout would come a year sooner than it did. Granted, that was Giroux's second year compared to JVR's third, but my point is just that people aren't always patient enough when it comes to young players. Especially when they show flashes of great talent.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
lol i made this thread after a lot of beers and being pissed of about a loss in which JVR struggled mightily. Stupid? Ya a little but as a fan I think that's my right. It was more of a joke than anything.

post-3141-0-33318200-1304059196.gif

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad