Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

fauxflex

Sep 5, 2009
I think for both teams there is risk to the trade, but only time will tell what rewards might be reaped or missed. Both are young players that should develop/refine their games and mature over the next 2-3 years. Each are adding valuable at their respective positions right now, which is nice. Thinking about what these guys project to, a top-pairing (#2) D man has comparable value to a sub-elite top-line winger (imo). Now, if JVR emerges as an elite (40-50+) goal scorer, then Schenn would have to probably be more of a Devil's Cup-era (mid to late 90s, when his point production waned) Scott Stevens for those analyzing the trade to call it even. Regardless of who ultimately is seen as who "winning" the trade, it can still be a net positive for both the teams and players involved.

Fearless Leaf*

I don't think JVR will ever be a 40+ goalscorer neither are Leafs fans expecting him to be that but if he can be a consistent 25+ goal-scorer over his career, then we will be pretty darn happy.

I know some might say that's pretty low expectation from a former 2nd overall but what we have seen here in Leafs nation JVR isn't just all about his goal scoring, he does a good job on the PK and plays a good two-way game as well.

I think that's what most of us realistic Leafs fans are expecting from him.

dingbathero

No Jam? How about PB
Jul 14, 2010
St. John's, NL
I don't think JVR will ever be a 40+ goalscorer neither are Leafs fans expecting him to be that but if he can be a consistent 25+ goal-scorer over his career, then we will be pretty darn happy.

I know some might say that's pretty low expectation from a former 2nd overall but what we have seen here in Leafs nation JVR isn't just all about his goal scoring, he does a good job on the PK and plays a good two-way game as well.

I think that's what most of us realistic Leafs fans are expecting from him.

O'rly?

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
I think for both teams there is risk to the trade, but only time will tell what rewards might be reaped or missed. Both are young players that should develop/refine their games and mature over the next 2-3 years. Each are adding valuable at their respective positions right now, which is nice. Thinking about what these guys project to, a top-pairing (#2) D man has comparable value to a sub-elite top-line winger (imo). Now, if JVR emerges as an elite (40-50+) goal scorer, then Schenn would have to probably be more of a Devil's Cup-era (mid to late 90s, when his point production waned) Scott Stevens for those analyzing the trade to call it even. Regardless of who ultimately is seen as who "winning" the trade, it can still be a net positive for both the teams and players involved.

Exactly. People are focusing too much on what JvR might possibly some day do and not focusing on what the Flyers need(ed). Everyone is or was in agreement that the Flyers desparately needed some youth with a high ceiling on defense. The Flyers got that. Now people are complaining that we overpaid. You don't get something for nothing. The Flyers had a lot of young offensive talent and desparately needed young defensive talent (probably still do). You aren't going to get a young defensive prospect that is NHL ready without A) getting a high draft pick or getting very lucky in the draft or B) trading peanuts for one. If you want a guy like Schenn, which I am pretty sure everyone is in agreement that the Flyers needed, you have to give something up for him. The Leafs weren't going to trade him for Andreas Nodl and a third rounder.

Embiid

*Injured
May 27, 2010
Philadelphia
Siegel: Van riemsdyk thriving with 'healthy swagger' in t.o.

Not sure if somebody posted this article already..but just proves that with JVR it was always mostly mental. He needed a change of scenery. Carlyle didn't suggest something that Lavi didn't and obviously JVR knew what he was supposed to do to be successful. Like the article says he showed flashes and in the playoffs that one year he really seemed to have broken out until injuries set him back the following year.

Obviously, if JVR continues on his current pace it's going to look like Toronto got the best of the deal b/c Schenn doesn't statistically compare since he's not an offensive D man. However, the intangibles and other stats like hits 9league leader) etc are pretty good so far.

I would say Schenn and JVR have been pretty equal in terms of their contributions to their respective teams thus far..

Helping to orchestrate that opportunity and the subsequent success is Randy Carlyle, a likely key figure in the molding of van Riemsdyk's career. As practice wound down on Friday afternoon, the two shared a brief, but seemingly meaningful conversation. "He wants me to continue to play within the identity of the team and continue to do things that make me successful up there," van Riemsdyk said. "It's no earth shattering news. I know what I need to do to be successful, to help the team win, so I'm going to have to continue to do that."

http://www.tsn.ca/toronto/blogs/jonas_siegel/?id=416638

Viller

Mar 24, 2007
I was at the Toronto vs Ottawa game. And JVR was the same old same old player. I dont regret this trade at all. I think he touched the puck a half dozen times during the whole game and never skated while away from the puck/play. Reminded me of Jeff Carter so much.

I think Luke Schenn will be more valuable to this team than JVR woulda ever been.

edit: His current performance can be allocated to the change of scenery, wait till he gets comfortable over in Toronto and he'll be back to his Philly days no doubt in my mind.

Last edited:

dawkins121

Jul 7, 2007
Philadelphia
I feel like guys with goal/assist ratio's that out of whack usually come down to Earth (although it might not be noticeable in such a short season). He's also shooting about 5% higher than his career average. Still looks like a solid 30-30 guy though.

FlyersFanz

aut viam inveniam au
Jan 26, 2010
BlkVanOutsideUrHouse
I solid hit and JVR will be out on injury as usual, he's Mr.Glass.
He's playing well because the Leafs are treating him like a star, once this wears off he will be that same player he was for Philly.

Steeltown

Sep 26, 2003
T.O.
Visit site
I solid hit and JVR will be out on injury as usual, he's Mr.Glass.
He's playing well because the Leafs are treating him like a star, once this wears off he will be that same player he was for Philly.

And then he'll dance around Luke again to score a goal and we'll be back to this debate.

ILoveStephanieBrown

Nov 6, 2012
I tried liking JVR but he just didn't seem like he had the hunger/drive to be the best he could possibly be. Took a lot of shifts off. Sometimes it takes a trade to wake someone up. JVR may be the better player but I'd still rather have Luke. He's no where as bad as Leafs fans claimed and he seems like he gives it his all every shift.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->