Thanks for screwing us over (JVR)

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
JVR is now tied for 2nd in the NHl in goals. Good for him, he's getting a chance to develop the right way, with stablility, reg. linemates, reg. minutes , PP time and PK as well. All things a power forward needs and he didn't get here (bounced from line to line, benched, and having to read , hear and be reminded that the Flyers 'almost' had Patrick Kane. He's really played well up North. He seems to have pretty good chemistry with Kessel.

T Vanek 12
J. Neal 12
S. Stamkos 11
J. Tavares 11
J. van Riemsdyk 11

Bolded for complete truth.

Blue sounds like Kessel is the new Giroux eh?

I can't say I'm surprised at all that he's succesding in Toronto. Kid has a great work ethic, don't let anyone tell you differently.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
Seems like the trade has worked both ways then.

It addressed a need for us, but it will still be a few years before we see if Philly can get the benefit Toronto has the potential for.

I do love watching him stiff arm guys. Last night he stiff armed some Pen forward and sent him sliding across the ice. Tonight he shoved a guy away with one arm and took the puck.

pucci2001

Jun 3, 2012
I did. Still say we traded the next John LeClair because Homer is a terrible GM with the patience of a 2 year old.

I still feel strongly trading Richards was the worst idea ever, they traded a certified Center, one of the best 2 way guys in the league for Schenn who they were hoping could step in and fill that role, Simmonds is the saving grace for that move in my book but there had to be a better way to get Simmonds, I don't see Schenn ever being as solid as Richards...the guy was just a beast in the playoffs for you as well.

Sorry for the tangent was just trying to check on how Luke was for you and how you guys feel about JVR. I also would have liked to see Burke take over for old Homer...your roster is one he would love to be in charge of...maybe if you guys somehow don't make playoffs.

Giroux tha Damaja

Apr 17, 2009
Mount Holly, NJ
It addressed a need for us, but it will still be a few years before we see if Philly can get the benefit Toronto has the potential for.

I do love watching him stiff arm guys. Last night he stiff armed some Pen forward and sent him sliding across the ice. Tonight he shoved a guy away with one arm and took the puck.

I saw Tavares try to dangle him, got nowhere and Luke gave him the ole palm pilot (i.e. he sticks his hand out and sends you flying). The announcer was so sure it was a penalty from hwo Tavares went flying he called it right away. Hearing him try to walk his original call back to something more sane as he was watching the replay was kind of funny.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
As a guy who will always cheer for Luke, I figured you all feel the same about JVR.

Watching him skate circles around the other team is really fun, he's turning into a terrific player.. However I still think Lupul/Kessel look better together and the big test for JVR will be if he can produce with Grabovski or Kadri. Kessel has fed him 5 or 6 tap ins.

Anth93

Jul 2, 2012
I saw Tavares try to dangle him, got nowhere and Luke gave him the ole palm pilot (i.e. he sticks his hand out and sends you flying). The announcer was so sure it was a penalty from hwo Tavares went flying he called it right away. Hearing him try to walk his original call back to something more sane as he was watching the replay was kind of funny.
I will never forget when Luke Schenn was a rookie and he completely shut down Ovechkin. Threw him to the ice a few times and the next time they played Ovy didn't see any of him because of line matching.

When he's on and playing with confidence, he's as good as anyone at shutting down stars.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I still feel strongly trading Richards was the worst idea ever, they traded a certified Center, one of the best 2 way guys in the league for Schenn who they were hoping could step in and fill that role, Simmonds is the saving grace for that move in my book but there had to be a better way to get Simmonds, I don't see Schenn ever being as solid as Richards...the guy was just a beast in the playoffs for you as well.

Sorry for the tangent was just trying to check on how Luke was for you and how you guys feel about JVR. I also would have liked to see Burke take over for old Homer...your roster is one he would love to be in charge of...maybe if you guys somehow don't make playoffs.

Personally i think Burke and Philly would be a perfect match. He knows how to put the finishing touches on a team. Philly has a lot of building blocks and Brian Burke players.

Burke and Ruff in Philly would do wonders.

Beef Invictus

Revolutionary Positivity
Dec 21, 2009
Armored Train
I will never forget when Luke Schenn was a rookie and he completely shut down Ovechkin. Threw him to the ice a few times and the next time they played Ovy didn't see any of him because of line matching.

When he's on and playing with confidence, he's as good as anyone at shutting down stars.

He has been playing with Timonen, and they work really well together. Timonen is a good mentor, and apparently he's done some work with Pronger too.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010
At the time the trade was made I never thought JVR would become a 30 goal scorer. So I give him credit for having the start he's had. But lets be honest, he did next to nothing in three years here.

FlyersFan61290

Jul 13, 2010
Philadelphia
At the time the trade was made I never thought JVR would become a 30 goal scorer. So I give him credit for having the start he's had. But lets be honest, he did next to nothing in three years here.

Power forwards take time to develop and in his 3rd yr he was actually producing at a better ppg pace then anyone on the team not named Giroux before getting injured. He also had the playoffs the yr before. Patience is a virtue the flyers don't have. Luckily we ended up with a solid player in return.

MsMeow

Nov 4, 2005
I'm shocked that he's doing so well because he never seemed to have the self motivation to match his size and skill. I keep waiting for him to come down to earth but it hasn't happened and he is playing in all situations with increased ice time. As much as I hate the Leafs it's kind of fun to see and hear people talk about their team with happiness. I don't think they'll crash and burn like they did last year because they got rid of the black clouds named Wilson and Burke.

Flyotes

Sorry Hinkie.
Apr 7, 2007
SJ
I remember when Leaf fans thought we were crazy for saying it should have been Schenn +. Now, if I asked if they would trade him back for Schenn straightup, what would the answer be? Schenn +.

DrinkFightFlyers

THE TORTURE NEVER STOPS
Sponsor
Sep 24, 2009
NJ
Power forwards take time to develop and in his 3rd yr he was actually producing at a better ppg pace then anyone on the team not named Giroux before getting injured. He also had the playoffs the yr before. Patience is a virtue the flyers don't have. Luckily we ended up with a solid player in return.

I really don't understand why people are saying this about the JvR-Schenn trade. The Flyers needed defensive help. Just because a young player was traded does not signify some sort of impatience. I don't understand how you can say the Flyers don't have patience, when they traded for a young defenseman with whom they know is going to take time to develop (i.e. patience). Now there may be other reasons out there that you could point to to support your "lack of patience" argument, but the JvR for Schenn trade is not one of them.

jabba2

Oct 28, 2010

24 points in 48 games isnt alot to be excited about. Even if it was 2nd to Giroux when JVR actually played. JVR was very productive in the Buffalo series, but that was a contract year for him. He didnt play with that intensity the following season.

Sonny21

Registerd User
Oct 3, 2009
Hopefully Schenn comes down to close to 215 (if his not already?), as opposed to close to 230. I say that because he had another level when he didn't put on the weight and had confidence.

Playing with timmy is also perfect pairing for him. You got a great kid in Schenn, just needs to watch his weight.

As for JVR, Carlyle has been a huge difference maker. Carlyle being straight with him and challenging him to go to the net and etc and then rewarding him with PK, PP1 and etc.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad