Confirmed with Link: Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

pine*

Wow.. I guess my thread yesterday wasn't such a crazy thread afterall. I expect the Rangers will do the same with Redden.

I feel bad for Scott (he was still playing hockey this year even with the lockout) because he seems like a great team guy, but this is the smartest thing to do from the team's perspective.

Now, do we carry 22 players only? Or do we send him to the AHL (whilst still sitting him out), so we can carry 23?

He will be sent through waivers and be technically on Hamilton's roster.

Why?
1) He could potentially be claimed, but unlikely.
2) His being in Hamilton opens up 900k here.
3) One more roster spot in MTL.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He wont play. Period.
He gets injured, they can't buy him out.

But.. yeah, I wonder what happens with the roster spots now.
I know he won't play and I know if he gets injured we can't by him out. I posted the Bob McKenzie article yesterday.

I was stating that he seems to love hockey because he actually played this year despite the lockout.

Et le But

Nov 28, 2010
New York
I feel bad it has to end this way, I'm sure Gomez is a great guy...but he has no future with the team and no trade value, so I think this is the right move.

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009
He will be sent through waivers and be technically on Hamilton's roster.

Why?
1) He could potentially be claimed, but unlikely.
2) His being in Hamilton opens up 900k here.
3) One more roster spot in MTL.

That's actually a good point.

He doesn't report. But they didn't they not do that with Laraque.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
I feel bad for Gomez. Must suck knowing how bad you've been and not getting the chance to redeem yourself. It's a bed a made, but still. It's gotta suck.

He was a good guy but his play didn't warrant what might be one of the worst contracts in NHL history.

Good luck, Scott.

Yup, pretty much this. Guy was a stand-up teammate and the first to say he needed to be better. He just didn't have that in him anymore, unfortunately for us.

Hope he catches on somewhere else and proves himself again.

Andy

Jun 26, 2008
Montreal
pretty crappy way to end your career. I wonder if he'll even get a contract next year.

Nedved

Mar 30, 2008
is there restructuring of contracts in the nhl?

wonder if that is an option.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
He's saving money doing this. Cap hit can't be replaced (save 900k) and the buyout of the final year is less money over more time.

But at least from a hockey standpoint, the team is willing to make unpopular decisions (amongst the players) to ensure the long-term health of the team.
What? How is he saving money?

He still has pay Gomez.. he still has $900K more to spend, and on top of that, he'll probably spend more money next season when the buyout doesn't count (as well as possibly buying out Bourque or Kaberle if they suck), while still paying Gomez whatever amount of his salary.

PS. I wonder if this was done to give Galchenyuk a starting roster spot? We had 13 forwards, 8 defenseman, and 2 goalies without Gally. Without Gomez, we now have one roster spot open (Gally or Dumont)...

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
pretty crappy way to end your career. I wonder if he'll even get a contract next year.

He could play in the NHL. At 2 M$ max with no hesitation. And by giving him that contract, you give him a chance to redeem himself and guess what...he might do good.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
I feel bad for Gomez. Must suck knowing how bad you've been and not getting the chance to redeem yourself. It's a bed a made, but still. It's gotta suck.

He was a good guy but his play didn't warrant what might be one of the worst contracts in NHL history.

Good luck, Scott.

If you'll recall, last year was his "redemption year". You know, the year where he scored 2 goals and put up 11 points. With a $7.4m cap hit.

How long did you think his leash should have been, realistically?

If anything this move should've been made a year ago. Better later than never though.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
What? How is he saving money?

He still has pay Gomez.. he still has $900K more to spend, and on top of that, he'll probably spend more money next season when the buyout doesn't count (as well as possibly buying out Bourque or Kaberle if they suck), while still paying Gomez whatever amount of his salary.

PS. I wonder if this was done to give Galchenyuk a starting roster spot? We had 13 forwards, 8 defenseman, and 2 goalies without Gally. Without Gomez, we now have one roster spot open (Gally or Dumont)...

Unless Galchenyuk gets top 6 minutes or serious minutes as a #3 centre a la Jordan Staal, it would be a poor decision to keep him.

Bill McNeal

Jul 19, 2003
Montreal
Is he? The money that Scott Gomez would have costed will be used to pay someone else so that in the end result, Molson is actually paying more (Gomez's buyout + new player).

The cap is decreasing dramatically so someone would have had to been bought out, more than one person if one of them is not Gomez. Come this summer Gomez will be one of the cheaper buyouts on the team at 1.5M for 2 years. Same as Kaberle but with twice the relief.

Coldplay

Courage
Aug 21, 2008
Montréal
If you'll recall, last year was his "redemption year". You know, the year where he scored 2 goals and put up 11 points. With a $7.4m cap hit.

If anything this move should've been made a year ago. Better later than never though.

Last year was a difficult year for him though, with injury after injury, hard to get into a rhythm. And you know, the year where he only played 38 games, let's not make things look worse than they are (and I'm not saying they weren't bad, that 's not good enough, clearly). ;)

Gary320

Feb 21, 2009

Actually.. this time is pretty damn good. Knowing what we know now, they did it last year, the team would still have his salary counting against the cap.

Smart move... now that we know the buy outs don't count against the cap.

Natey

GOATS
Aug 2, 2005
Seems kind of dumb. With the lack of offensive players, I'd rather have given him a shot this year. They'll still be paying him, and he'll still count against the cap. It's not like he has a poor attitude and would be a distraction to everyone...
If he gets hurt, we are stuck with a player next year who will make $7.3M on a cap that is $5M (or whatever) lower, whilst having to sign Desharnais and a backup goalie, as well as fit money in for any potential Galchenyuk bonuses and any potential UFA signings to improve the club.

hototogisu

Poked the bear!!!!!
Jun 30, 2006
Montreal, QC
Last year was a difficult year for him though, with injury after injury, hard to get into a rhythm. And you know, the year where he only played 38 games, let's not make things look worse than they are (and I'm not saying they weren't bad, that 's not good enough, clearly). ;)

It was a difficult year for me too...I had to watch him play those 38 games, after all.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
It's too bad Gomez in Montreal never worked out, save for his first year here. I liked the acquisition (not saying we didn't get fleeced in the trade, I'm saying I liked that we got Gomez), and he seems like a genuinely awesome guy.

I wish him the best, and hopefully we all get the chance to boo him at the Bell Centre next season.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad