Confirmed with Link: Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Laurent

Wat.
Apr 9, 2010
Montreal
  • "With the new CBA, and the future years, the best solution for the Habs and the team was to let Scott Gomez go home, get his salary, and buy him out when summer comes. I told it to him at 730 am this morning"
  • "If someone called in for a trade, I would possibly accept, but it is highly doubtfull considering the cap floor and roof".
  • "By leaving Gomez home, it opens 900K for the cap" (Not sure If I understood this well)
  • Met with Donny Mehan in Toronto for PK yesterday. When asked about PK Getting traded, Bergevin cut the question and said "No no no, I don't even think about PK getting traded. Won't happen
  • Said that Gomez wasn't a distraction, was all done for the Habs future and the fact that they need capspace next year. Won't play in Europe cause they are sending him home so he doesn't get injured, which would make it unable to buyout his contract next year

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
That if a player got a long-term injury this season he could not be bought out this summer.

What if he gets injured outside of the rink say in a ski accident, is he still eligible for buyout?

Hutz

Sep 7, 2007
Was to be expected, especially with what Bobby Mac brought to light the other day.
I can't help but feel bad for Gomez but this is the right decision for this hockey club.

I must have missed this, what did he say?

EDIT: sorry, the Redden stuff, brain fart.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
What if he gets injured outside of the rink say in a ski accident, is he still eligible for buyout?

Yes because he'd be violating the rules of his contract. So we are in the clear.

Kind of like Malakhov a decade ago with the Habs...

WolfgangAmadeusEller*

Coolest hockey player ever, just not an NHL center.

habs_24x

Sep 12, 2002
montreal
Visit site
Seems kind of dumb. With the lack of offensive players, I'd rather have given him a shot this year. They'll still be paying him, and he'll still count against the cap. It's not like he has a poor attitude and would be a distraction to everyone...

I would rather see a prospect get his spot.

Le Tricolore

Boo! BOOOO!
Aug 3, 2005
Montreal
Yes because he'd be violating the rules of his contract. So we are in the clear.

Malakhov took his kid to a bunny hill, and didn't get injured skiing. The media made a mountain out of a molehill on that, much like many other stories :facepalm:

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
So did we officially lost the Gomez trade....or should we wait till Michael Busto comes back in the NHL? :sarcasm:

Good job Bob and Pierre!

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005

So Habs can prohibit him from engaging in any activity including hockey related?

Analyzer*

Malakhov took his kid to a bunny hill, and didn't get injured skiing. The media made a mountain out of a molehill on that, much like many other stories :facepalm:

He was recovering from an injury at that time, so he could have re-injured it.

McGuires Corndog

Pierre's favorite MONSTER performer
Feb 6, 2008
Montreal
So Habs can prohibit him from engaging in any activity including hockey related?

Yes, if I'm not mistaken all contracts are laden with these rules that if a player gets injured outside the context of playing hockey for his club he is not covered by his insurance and would be in direct violation of his contract.

Basically the club simply wouldn't be held responsible and he is still eligible for his buy out.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad