Confirmed with Link: Thank you Scott GoHomez! (UPD: Signs w/San Jose 1 yr/$700k)

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
In his first year as a Hab he scored 73 points in 97 games, FYI.

Higgins was crap when we traded him, the only real loss was McDonagh.

The guy was still not worth that kind of money EVEN with those 97 games for his overall game. Imagine when he started to "slow down". Rangers, while not necessarily a model of great decisions, wanted to get rid of him to make room for who exactly as their top 2 C's? They wanted to get rid of him despite his stats. We decided to get rid of Koivu to make room for Gomez. And get rid of, at the time, one of the 2 best prospect on D. Made no sense then, makes no sense now, will make even less sense in the future.

LeHab

Aug 31, 2005
Well keep in mind the cap is going down by almost 6 M next year, so either way Molson will be saving $ on his payroll.

The bottom line though is Molson will go from being scheduled to pay Gomez 4.5 M...to paying him 1.5 M in 2013-14 and 1.5 M in 2014-15.

Gomez is supposed to be paid $5.5m this season. Sine we only have 48 games left, I think he is owed 5.5 * 48/82 = 3.22 + last year buy out spread over two years?

pine*

Exactly.

Hence why he can't even skate with the team in practices.

He's essentially getting a 3-month paid vacation.

Worth 3.22M!

awww-yeah-1024x639.png

Who's laughing now? YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAW

Estimated_Prophet

Mar 28, 2003
In his first year as a Hab he scored 73 points in 97 games, FYI.

Higgins was crap when we traded him, the only real loss was McDonagh.

You are only supporting my point here. At 7.5 million a 61 pt pace is definitely underachieving especially when he didn't bring a physical or effective defensive game to the table.

Higgins, even with his struggles still had a higher trade value than Gomez as like I said, Gomez had negative value and Gainey got absolutely suckered.

Mats NAslund

Feb 27, 2002
Ottawa
Visit site
Imagine....The Habs could have Ryan McDonough, PK Subban, Andre Markov as a top three right now. With Josh Gorges, A. Emelin and Diaz rounding the botton three.

Kaberle a number 7.

Guys like Tinordy Thrower Ellis and Beaulieu waiting to step in...

Ginu

Feb 25, 2009
www.twitter.com
Imagine....The Habs could have Ryan McDonough, PK Subban, Andre Markov as a top three right now. With Josh Gorges, A. Emelin and Diaz rounding the botton three.

Kaberle a number 7.

It was either McDonaugh or Galchenyuk. I'd prefer Gally.

Shadow Journal

Non, je ne regrette rien
Jun 20, 2003

Kaberle a number 7.

if my aunt had balls, she'd be my uncle.

Bermy

Jun 2, 2007
Houston
I understand why Bergevin did this move, but I don't agree with it. Denying a professional hockey player to play hockey just doesn't seem right

Whitesnake

If you rebuild, they will come.
Jan 5, 2003
I understand why Bergevin did this move, but I don't agree with it. Denying a professional hockey player to play hockey just doesn't seem right

The idea is that if you don't buy him out, you have to bury him in the minors till his contract expires. So you better sit him out, and give him a chance to go back in the NHL as soon as next year. Mind you, tons of teams usually stop playing in April if they don't make the playoffs, so Gomez is actually not playing for 3 months. Not a full year.

Ayatollah Chowmeini

May 27, 2010
MTL/MKE
I got to admit, I don't like it from an avoiding potential curses/re-establishing a culture of doing right by players after a regime of ****tiness perspective.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad