Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
How anyone could think someone would be a good manager without proof of how they manage boggles my mind.

Tells you a little something about the effect that managers actually have on the game.

Is he\she intelligent, professional, a good communicator, and relatively likable? If so, sign em up and move on to more important things.

Reactions: Discoverer

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Tells you a little something about the effect that managers actually have on the game.

Is he\she intelligent, professional, a good communicator, and relatively likable? If so, sign em up and move on to more important things.

Yep. I can see not liking certain guys for specific reasons, but naming a couple legitimate candidates and ruling out everyone else out is ridiculous. We know next to nothing about any of these guys. Unless it's Farrell (which it won't be) it's not worth being mad about the selection.

Reactions: Woodman19

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
The Mets are beginning to compile names and line up interviews to determine the identity of their next general manager, though Blue Jays VP of baseball operations Ben Cherington won’t be interviewing for the position, SNY.tv’s Andy Martino reports. While neither Cherington or the Mets commented on the situation, Martino hears that Cherington is happy in his current job in Toronto.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
This is great, glad Cherington is happy and is sticking around.

If rumors are true and Shapiro and the Jays are heading for divorce then a seamless transition would be to move Cherington into the President's role. However, its better if there is no tension and it remains status quo.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
The Mets are beginning to compile names and line up interviews to determine the identity of their next general manager, though Blue Jays VP of baseball operations Ben Cherington won’t be interviewing for the position, SNY.tv’s Andy Martino reports. While neither Cherington or the Mets commented on the situation, Martino hears that Cherington is happy in his current job in Toronto.

Huh. If I didn't know any better, I would almost start to think that people like working for the current management group. Almost.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
This is great, glad Cherington is happy and is sticking around.

If rumors are true and Shapiro and the Jays are heading for divorce then a seamless transition would be to move Cherington into the President's role. However, its better if there is no tension and it remains status quo.

I find those rumours really hard to believe. One of the first people to mention it cited the Jays ownership situation as one of the reasons he wanted out... as if working for the Wilpons would be a better situation? It doesn't make any sense.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Just glancing at the Yankees roster construction, and more specifically the contributions of Hicks and Gregorius. Both former top-100 prospects, who lost their shine for several reasons, were acquired for minimal asset cost and rebuilt.

In that vein, I'd be calling the Twins about Buxton on a daily basis. Doubtful that you'd be able to acquire him for a JR Murphy, but its worth probing after such a lost season.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I find those rumours really hard to believe. One of the first people to mention it cited the Jays ownership situation as one of the reasons he wanted out... as if working for the Wilpons would be a better situation? It doesn't make any sense.

Its true it doesnt make much sense. But i also read Shapiro is good friends or has a good relationship with the Wilpons in addition to that Shapiro's wife and family want to move to New York.

Toronto is a better situation than the Mets but if the Mets want you bad and are willing to throw money at you in addition to having a longer leash in a weaker division then maybe it interests him.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009

New Names:

Valle - Works for the MLB Network, former catcher, was considered for the Manager job in Seattle in 2013, has ties to the DR, and gets in brawls. Coached 1 year in the minors

Dave Valle - Wikipedia

Bell - former player, former coach with the Cubs (3B coach) and Cards bench coach), now the VP of player development with the Giants. And you guessed it, played in Cleveland twice!

David Bell (baseball) - Wikipedia

Last edited:

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Anyone have any playoff predictions?

Here are mine;

Yankees over Red Sox in 4
Indians over Astros in 5

Dodgers over Braves in 4
Rockies over Brewers in 5

Yankees over Indians in 6
Dodgers over Rockies in 5

Yankees over Dodgers.

I honestly think the Yankees could sweep the Red Sox and think the Dodgers might sweep the Braves.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Farrell is likely the Reds’ top candidate at this point, John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer opines. USA Today’s Bob Nightengale agrees, also proposing that Riggleman could remain with the team as Farrell’s bench coach. (All links to Twitter)

The Reds have interviewed former Yankees manager Joe Girardi, Fancred Sports’ Jon Heyman reports. Riggleman and Farrell have also sat down for interviews with the team. “The strong belief for now” is that the Reds will hire one of Girardi, Riggleman, Farrell, Giants farm director David Bell, or former Tigers skipper Brad Ausmus, though the latter two have yet to be interviewed.

Would be nice for the Reds to take Farrell so i dont have to worry anymore.

Reactions: SAMCRO44

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
The Sox being bad against lefties is overblown now with the inclusion of Pearce. Mookie, Pearce, and JD crush them, and Bogaerts is still a well above average bat. I think it really comes down to whether or not the Sox can hold leads with their pen.

I also can’t see the Dodgers not making the world series with that group of teams in the west. But who knows

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Love the Indians for value, but really I'd say all of the non-Atlanta/Colorado teams have a pretty equal shot.

(feel free to save quote for when the Braves win the WS somehow).

Reactions: Diamond Joe Quimby

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Well... I just learned that Stubby Clapp's actually first name is Richard. Can't really blame the guy for wanting to go by something else, but it also brings up the question of where the hell the nickname came from.

I guess "Stubby Clapp" is the least awkward of any combination of those three names.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
Well... I just learned that Stubby Clapp's actually first name is Richard. Can't really blame the guy for wanting to go by something else, but it also brings up the question of where the hell the nickname came from.

I guess "Stubby Clapp" is the least awkward of any combination of those three names.

I don't know. Dick Clapp might be an even better name than Stubby Clapp.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->