Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
i knew you would respond. We had this exact same discussion last season.

No it’s very very dumb. Idiotic in fact.

Also what makes you suspect that I am VASTLY (remember your chosed the word VASTLY) outnumbered? Other than you disagree with me?

I'm basing it on reactions from people I see online and in real life. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone else who feels that way, and certainly no one who feels so strongly.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
I'm basing it on reactions from people I see online and in real life. I don't know that I've ever heard anyone else who feels that way, and certainly no one who feels so strongly.

But vastly? How big is that sample size? Its a bold statement to make based on your feelings, the reactions you have encountered.

I was discussing this at a hockey pool draft on sunday with 10 GMs and 9 said it was a stupid procedure. And the other did not watch baseball. Who knows maybe we are just hockey guys and prefer their system (which the NBA and NFL also employ) which leads to what we all want to see, faster and that is/are playoff games.

And i base my opinion on the same, i see people that like it and people that dont. It doesnt happen that often where it comes up a lot to have a big enough sample size and i bet most casual fans dont know about because baseball is the only of the major 4 sports that does it.

Last edited:

IceColdBear

Apr 5, 2016
Never understood how fans of baseball can complain about seeing more baseball.

If you're a fan of pizza, the first slice of pizza you eat will be magnificent, so delicious and satisfying the hairs on the back of your neck will stand on end.

By the time you're on the 162nd slice, though, by god, you might well be a little tired of pizza.

I love playoff baseball, I just wish the regular season was significantly shorter.

Judas Tavares

S2S (Sundin2Sandin)
Sponsor
Feb 9, 2007
If you're a fan of pizza, the first slice of pizza you eat will be magnificent, so delicious and satisfying the hairs on the back of your neck will stand on end.

By the time you're on the 162nd slice, though, by god, you might well be a little tired of pizza.

I love playoff baseball, I just wish the regular season was significantly shorter.

919951.jpg

Reactions: phillipmike

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON

For me, if the team is good, I could watch 262 regular season games and I won't get tired of it.
This season seemed a little long because Jays really sucked.

TheTotalPackage

Sep 14, 2006
I actually love the fact that there could be numerous tiebreakers and so many variables are left unknown. I think it was last year there was a possibility of four tiebreakers and a bunch of permutations were laid out. That would have been so fun to watch and follow.

I've never subscribed to the notion that the baseball season is too long because I really don't know what a magic number is. I've been used to 162 forever, so that it is for me. 144 as opposed to 156 as opposed to 162? It doesn't change anything for me.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
I actually love the fact that there could be numerous tiebreakers and so many variables are left unknown. I think it was last year there was a possibility of four tiebreakers and a bunch of permutations were laid out. That would have been so fun to watch and follow.

I've never subscribed to the notion that the baseball season is too long because I really don't know what a magic number is. I've been used to 162 forever, so that it is for me. 144 as opposed to 156 as opposed to 162? It doesn't change anything for me.

Yeah, wild and crazy and unexpected and memorable are some of the things I like the most about baseball, and that's what some of the potential tie-breaker craziness offers.

As for the length of the season, baseball lends itself well to a long season, so I don't see much reason to change it. Shortening the season and expanding the playoffs make the regular season less meaningful.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Showalter officially turfed. I think he did a good job in Baltimore (specific Zach Britton usage aside). Don't think a reunion with Texas is out of the question.

StatsNightHeroes

Jan 15, 2016
I don’t understand why guys in baseball who aren’t good hitters don’t wear more balls on the elbow. That Gore guy on the Cubs just had to take it on the tricep and he’d have been on first base. Is that just not something you do in baseball? I mean if I’m his teammates I’m pretty pissed he didn’t just wear that one instead of faking it trying to get on that way.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What about Girardi as manager? What do you guys think?

I feel like there are so many names out there.
Girardi
Ausmus
Farrell :sarcasm:
Johny Mac
Hale
Clapp
Molitor
Beltran
Wedge

Do you think it will be any of these guys?

Dr.Funk

Jul 2, 2004
What about Girardi as manager? What do you guys think?

I feel like there are so many names out there.
Girardi
Ausmus
Farrell :sarcasm:
Johny Mac
Hale
Clapp
Molitor
Beltran
Wedge

Do you think it will be any of these guys?

My money is on John Schneider

The Nemesis

Semper Tyrannus
Apr 11, 2005
Langley, BC
Schneider seems like a good internal bet, but I'm not sure how forward-thinking/analytically-minded/collaborative he is.

The quiet outside names that don't seem to be getting a lot of press but might be interesting are Sandy Alomar Jr and (if anyone wants an ex-Jay name) Chris Woodward.

metafour

Apr 6, 2008
Shi Davidi listed a lot more rumoured names as well:

Unconfirmed names circling around the Blue Jays that seem to fit Atkins’ vision include: Rocco Baldelli, the Tampa Bay Rays’ major-league field co-ordinator; Derek Shelton, the Minnesota Twins bench coach who was the quality control coach for the Blue Jays in 2017; Chris Woodward, the Los Angeles Dodgers third base coach who played shortstop for the Blue Jays; Sandy Alomar Jr., the Cleveland Indians first base coach who interviewed with the Blue Jays when Farrell was hired after the 2010 season; Joe Espada, the Houston Astros bench coach; Rob Thompson, the Sarnia, Ont., native who is bench coach with the Philadelphia Phillies; Matt Quartaro, the Rays third base coach; and Jay Bell, who managed double-A Trenton in the Yankees system.

Pretty crazy to see Baldelli's name pop up, it seemed like only a few years ago that he was a failed super-prospect who couldn't stay healthy.

TF97

Jul 4, 2010
Halifax, NS
I don't get Oakland. They don't have a legit starter for this game?
Mike Fiers is currently their #1 starter, but trusting someone like Fiers against the Yankees in Yankee Stadium might be pushing it. I personally would have went with Fiers, but I can understand their logic.

My issue with the bullpen game is starting Liam Hendriks.

phillipmike

Oct 27, 2009
Shi Davidi listed a lot more rumoured names as well:

Pretty crazy to see Baldelli's name pop up, it seemed like only a few years ago that he was a failed super-prospect who couldn't stay healthy.

Baldelli is a very underrated name that slipped my mind. He is someone i think flies under the radar with good potential to be a good coach/manager.

Woodman19

Jun 14, 2008
How anyone could think someone would be a good manager without proof of how they manage boggles my mind.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad