Blue Jays Discussion: Thank you, Gibby!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
Merryweather officially a Jay

He succeeds by pounding the zone and showing a clean arm action and bulldog mentality. He threw nearly two-thirds of his pitches for strikes, though he would benefit form expanding the zone and getting batters to chase when he gets ahead in the count. He sits at 92-94 mph with plus sinking life, and he can rear back for 98 when he needs it. He made progress with a straight changeup this season, giving him a good weapon against lefties, though he misses more bats against righties with a fastball and slurvy breaking ball. He's working on improving the rotation and bite of his breaking ball.

His fastball sits in the mid 90s and regularly reaches 97 mph. His changeup can be an above-average pitch with fading action, but he will need to tighten the pitch up to get hitters to chase it more often. He throws both a curveball and a slider, which can be average offerings. He does a good job of using his 6-foot-4 frame to his advantage and works well down in the strike zone to create groundouts. He throws a lot of strikes and repeats his delivery well. He's refined his delivery to allow him to repeat it more consistently and better leverage his 6-foot-4 frame. As a result, he threw more strikes and worked well down in the zone more often, helping him create a high number of groundball outs.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
Merryweather is lowkey good. Obviously the value extracted from JD is far from what we had hoped but assets like JM have always been consistently undervalued in the league.

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
Merryweather is lowkey good. Obviously the value extracted from JD is far from what we had hoped but assets like JM have always been consistently undervalued in the league.

I would be happy if Merryweather turns into a solid middle-reliever. I have a bit of hope for more because there are some positive scouting reports out there and because Cleveland unearthed some pretty great pitchers who were old/bad in the minors under Shapiro.

TOGuy14

Dec 30, 2010
Toronto
I would be happy if Merryweather turns into a solid middle-reliever. I have a bit of hope for more because there are some positive scouting reports out there and because Cleveland unearthed some pretty great pitchers who were old/bad in the minors under Shapiro.

What?

The guy is about to turn 27 and has mediocre numbers in AA and was blasted in AAA

Would be surprised if he ever sniffs the show outside of spring training

Diamond Joe Quimby

A$AP Joffrey
Aug 14, 2010
Washington, DC
What?

The guy is about to turn 27 and has mediocre numbers in AA and was blasted in AAA

Player A: (AA @ 24-25) 3.68 ERA, 3.27 FIP, 1.11 WHIP, 21.6% K, 4.19 K/BB, 0.65 HR/9
Player B: (AA @ 25): 4.80 ERA, 3.82 FIP, 1.48 WHIP, 16.9% K, 2.20 K/BB, 0.60 HR/9
Player C: (AA @ 23-24) 3.76 ERA, 3.57 FIP, 1.48 WHIP, 22.4% K, 2.29 K/BB, 0.56 HR/9

Player A is Julian Merryweather. Player B is described in the scouting report posted above Merryweather's in post #978.

All three pitchers are 6"4, with good command, mid-90's fastballs with sink, and changeups. B and C are studs, and broke into the majors at 26 and 27, respectively.

Eyedea

The Legend Continues
Jan 29, 2012
Toronto, Ontario
What?

It’s so easy to assume someone is “getting blasted” or putting up mediocre numbers when taking ERA at face value.

Reactions: stickty111

Discoverer

Apr 11, 2012
What?

Wait... I literally said "I would be happy if he becomes a decent middle reliever" and you think my expectations are too high just because I think there's reason to believe he might be capable of more?

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
I hope NYY win. I have grown to dislike Boston a lot more, in all sports. There is something really obnoxious about that city and that whole New England area. f*** Boston!

Nineteen67

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 12, 2017
I hope NYY win. I have grown to dislike Boston a lot more, in all sports. There is something really obnoxious about that city and that whole New England area. **** Boston!

Yes, but I’m not upset to hear that Happ got slapped around.

Suntouchable13

Dec 20, 2003
Toronto, ON
What kind of deal is Donaldson looking at in the winter? I think he'll be lucky to get a one year deal at the value of his qualifying offer. I would feel bad for him if he wasn't a multi-millionaire already.

AllDay28

Oct 15, 2015
JD gonna get some coin. his current play at Cleveland over 1 yr is about 7-8 WAR.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Going forward, the Yanks will be more of a threat than the Red Sox. Their starting pitching is questionable after Sale. Sale is also a FA after next year. Price had a FIP of 4.05 this year. Seems to be on the decline.

canucksfan

Mar 16, 2002
British Columbia
Visit site
Yanks rotation is suspect too.

Yanks have a much better farm system though, and from what I understand, they have quite a few promising young pitchers at the lower level. I don't think the Sox have any pitchers ready to fill the rotation. They will have to do it via trade or FA. Trade might be hard for them because their system isn't that good.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->