Post-Game Talk: Thank Hutch

Status
Not open for further replies.

Gabriel426

Jun 30, 2015
Maybe what Pittsburgh and Chicago did? Just because Edmonton fails a rebuild for 10 years doesn’t mean rebuilds are pointless. We rushed ours because we had to BUT we still rushed it, look at our blue line for proof.
We drafted AM, 1st overall and have Willie, Marner(who won everything he could have won in CHL in his draft +1yr) and to a lesser extend Kap in the pipeline. Then you have guys like Hyman, And Brown ready for a bottom 6 role in the NHL, 4 seasons ago. You add in Kadri, JVR, Bozak and Leo upfront and Reilly, and Jake at the back. Don’t really think Leafs rushed the rebuild. If anything they kids just played better than expected, esp the first two yrs since they broke in.

namttebih

Dec 11, 2010
East York
EERuum8XkAAMlSy
Thanks man!

Reactions: MSZ

The Iceman

Sep 22, 2007
Wasn't there a timeout after the penalty call?

edit: just went back and looked and yea there was, Marner was waving his hands asking for it when the penalty got called.

YUP, Marner could barely lift his arms to signal for it...

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
Maybe what Pittsburgh and Chicago did? Just because Edmonton fails a rebuild for 10 years doesn’t mean rebuilds are pointless. We rushed ours because we had to BUT we still rushed it, look at our blue line for proof.

What in our blueline proves we rushed the rebuild? Have we missed any significant UFA defenseman? Have we mis-drafted anywhere or skipped over an obvious defenseman in the draft which would have as a Cup contender right now?

Its all wonderful to say we missed some unicorn dman, but you have to prove it.

Last edited:

Nithoniniel

Sep 7, 2012
Skövde, Sweden
What in our blueline proves we rushed the rebuild? Have we missed any significant UFA defenseman? Have we mis-drafted anywhere or skipped over an obvious defenseman in the draft whioch have as a Cup contender right now?

It seems some think that a rebuild means that you acquire every single important piece there is before you start to win games again. I have no idea where that comes from because that never happens, and there are no perfect teams in the league nowadays.

Warden of the North

Ned Stark's head
Apr 28, 2006
Muskoka
It seems some think that a rebuild means that you acquire every single important piece there is before you start to win games again. I have no idea where that comes from because that never happens, and there are no perfect teams in the league nowadays.

Not to mention both of the Pens and Hawks benefited from the now illegal cap circumvention deals we cannot do.

WTFMAN99

Jun 17, 2009
What in our blueline proves we rushed the rebuild? Have we missed any significant UFA defenseman? Have we mis-drafted anywhere or skipped over an obvious defenseman in the draft which would have as a Cup contender right now?

You guys are spot on.

I remember being high on Carlo in the draft but we took Dermott, I think that is maybe 1 area where things might have went better for us, he'd fit like a glove right now but hindsight/draft is 20/20.

We do need to upgrade the defense for sure right now.

Reactions: Ziggdiezan

stopclickbait

Aug 28, 2018
Seriously... a-hole move of the year, no doubt. Spezz looked like he jumped in the fountain of youth last night... one of our best players all game. Kudos to him, but ya... wtf babs?

Man if only Spezza scored on that end to end rush the place would have went nuts!

Good save by Anderson on the shot and rebound. Everyday so much more gets noticed of how much of a dinosaur Babcock was.

TDotMassive

Jul 13, 2018
6ix
It is and that's great but when you were as bad as he was trust takes time to earn.

That said 2 more games like that, get his save% above 910 I think opinions start changing.

But we aren't there quite yet, Especially since 3 of his wins are Detroit, NJ and Ottawa
The real problem is, even if Hutch proves a solid backup, that is not what we need to win the cup. We need a #1b that can tandem with Freddie. Fred is too streaky and hasn't been a particularly good playoff goalie. If he gets injured or can't play a #1a game... our season is done. You can't put Hutch into a 7-game series against Boston... or, against anyone really. We need to trade for a #1b (and a top-4RD) before we are cup-ready.

Reactions: LeafsRus

Dayjobdave

Apr 29, 2010
Hutch put on a good show last night which can only help us. We got the win, we may be able to use him as a backup, and we don’t look as desperate if we trade for a 1B.

Reactions: meefer

glue

Jan 30, 2006
Toronto
Babs would have use Hyman(in front of net)and a Dman instead of AM, JT, WN and MM.
Keefe is willing to gamble while Babs will play it safe.

What confuses me most about this is what exactly are we playing it safe on?? It’s a 4-3 in OT! We’ve already secured a point and have an incredibly talented forward corps( the top 4 better then any other team), Some of that logic is astounding

Reactions: Gabriel426

meefer

Jun 9, 2015
Bangkok
Dumbass should be fired for not getting a backup and letting Hainsey go

Soooo...the goalie that was only put into the 2nd of B2Bs against some of the best teams in the league, the guy who was spaced so far between games he probably didn't recognize the crease, the fella who was submarined by what are generally considered to be some of the worst efforts of the year by the team coached by the man generally reviled by all for his mismanagement of the team's skills, and who is considered to be a coach on whom the team quit, the same goalie who has won his last three outings, with a shutout and a 1 goal performance under a coach who is now reaping a far superior effort level from his team...I'm sorry, you were saying about Hainsey, the stalwart of defense who we all see as the answer to our defensive woes.

Look, I get the worry about what exactly Hutch is, and I'd love to see a tighter defensive group, but come on, 'Dumbass', fired, this argument? 19-7-3 under Keefe, lets not lose the plot.

Reactions: nofehr

Peasy

May 25, 2012
Star Shoppin
Soooo...the goalie that was only put into the 2nd of B2Bs against some of the best teams in the league, the guy who was spaced so far between games he probably didn't recognize the crease, the fella who was submarined by what are generally considered to be some of the worst efforts of the year by the team coached by the man generally reviled by all for his mismanagement of the team's skills, and who is considered to be a coach on whom the team quit, the same goalie who has won his last three outings, with a shutout and a 1 goal performance under a coach who is now reaping a far superior effort level from his team...I'm sorry, you were saying about Hainsey, the stalwart of defense who we all see as the answer to our defensive woes.

Look, I get the worry about what exactly Hutch is, and I'd love to see a tighter defensive group, but come on, 'Dumbass', fired, this argument? 19-7-3 under Keefe, lets not lose the plot.
I believe the op was being sarcastic.

Reactions: meefer

goleafsgo1990

Feb 7, 2012
How did pittsburgh do a proper rebuold that involved a dman drafted top 15 like Chabot? Hell even Keith was a second round pick from before they actually started tanking....

No Chabot tier D but even Pittsburgh's “weak” D when they were winning cups was still far more reliable and competent than what we’re icing. Which will happen when you do a 3 year rebuild. Chicago’s D was world class obviously. Wish we had retained a defender like Keith from a previous rebuild, maybe like Schenn? If only that wasn’t such a dumpster of a pick..I’m still not completely sold on this rebuild as I think many unnecessary mistakes have been made already by management.

We can argue all day but it’s a fact that we rushed the rebuild because we had to. Might come back to bite our asses, time will tell.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad