Toronto FC: TFC Thread II

Status
Not open for further replies.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
Altidore + cash is solid value but not the player we need at all... it was said all summer that we're going to bring in a playmaker so i'm not sure what happens now. Either they're not bringing in a playmaker which is what we really need, or there will be 4 DP spots, or Gilberto is going to be sold. Altidore does perfectly fit the striker role in the 4-3-3 formation Vanney likes to play and I know Gilberto has had offers on the table from several leagues before and after we bought him so him being sold could definitely happen which I think is a mistake. Hopefully he scored a lot for us and isn't making too much...

I agree with this. The fee isn't being reported it but if we truly are the ones getting cash it's a good value deal. Altidore will need support to score goals... and he didn't get in in Sunderland. Will he get it here? Can TFC actually FILL out the roster? He's not my first choice, but I'd rather a motivated Altiore over a disgruntled Defoe

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
An big deal. Source confirms #TorontoFC has sold Jermain Defoe to Sunderland. Altidore to TFC has to go thru allocation route.

HEAVY DUTY

Thanks to denial, I’m immortal.
Jul 10, 2010
Toronto, ON
An big deal. Source confirms #TorontoFC has sold Jermain Defoe to Sunderland. Altidore to TFC has to go thru allocation route.

what does the bolded part mean? can you explain it? not very familiar with the rules of soccer/football.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
It means any player returning to the MLS or USA National team players, have to go threw a list of teams first team on the list has dibs on the player, if the player cost a DP slot he will not go threw allocation order

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
Kurtis Larson ‏@KurtLarSUN 4m4 minutes ago TFC has sold Defoe for in the neighbourhood of $11 million. Altidore is indeed coming back to MLS, but still has to go through allocation..

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
It means any player returning to the MLS or USA National team players, have to go threw a list of teams first team on the list has dibs on the player, if the player cost a DP slot he will not go threw allocation order
So like waivers?

JohnnyO

Aug 10, 2008
Ya lets just go with that, but you can trade your allocation spot, for cash or picks.
So basically we might not even get him? By the way I appreciate the your info and contributions to the TFC thread.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
So basically we might not even get him? By the way I appreciate the your info and contributions to the TFC thread.

Um if you wanna read it here's the rule in a better Description(MLS RULES ARE Confusing

A) ALLOCATION RANKING

The allocation ranking is the mechanism used to determine which MLS club has first priority to acquire a U.S. National Team player who signs with MLS after playing abroad, or a former MLS player who returns to the League after having gone to a club abroad for a transfer fee.* The allocation rankings may also be used in the event two or more clubs file a request for the same player on the same day when the discovery period opens in December. The allocations will be ranked in reverse order of finish for the 2013 season, taking playoff performance into account.

Once the club uses its allocation ranking to acquire a player, it drops to the bottom of the list. A ranking can be traded, provided that part of the compensation received in return is the other club’s ranking. At all times, each club is assigned one ranking. The rankings reset at the end of each MLS League season.

*Designated Players of a certain threshold – as determined by the League – are not subject to allocation ranking.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
As of right now rumors are Giovinco
Gareth Wheeler ‏@WheelerTSN 17m17 minutes ago
The 27 year old Italian is closing on terms that would bring him to #TFC and #MLS -

Rumors are the deal is close,

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If we don't end up with Altidore I won't be to upset if we allocate the money else wherel. We made a profit on Defoe and for that i'm happy. Would rather G... Altidore to an American team makes more sense from a marketing POV, and an italian to Toronto makes sense from a marketing POV as well.

The MLS rules are an absolute **** show however, at least there making the moves that make sense but it's just a ****ed up system making up rules as they go along. Now they will actually enforce it when they didn't for Bradley or Dempsey ... lol

Last edited:

Budsfan

Sep 17, 2006
Gareth Wheeler ‏@WheelerTSN
Altidore and Giovinco would be an absolute coup for #TFC. Two talented attacking players in their prime. Exciting stuff.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
We should get 660k in Allocation money, It's max money you can get from a transfer + we also got some more allocation from the Henry deal and Laba deal,

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
If TFC were to go after CB Perquis as Vanney confirmed they have interest in him, would he cost us a DP spot?

The offense and midfield is set, but the defense is what really concerns me moving forward, and it was TFC's major downfall last season.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
If TFC were to go after CB Perquis as Vanney confirmed they have interest in him, would he cost us a DP spot?

The offense and midfield is set, but the defense is what really concerns me moving forward, and it was TFC's major downfall last season.

um, except for where it's not... We don't know how Altidore or Giovinco will play out... if we start the season tomorrow we have dominic ****ing Oduro and Jackson on the wing.

It seems like Defoe sold for 11 million and Altidore in a SEPERATE deal with MLS. Unsure, but that's what it seems like. Will have to go through allocation, making MTL a very attractive team right now. Portland and the NewYork teams will be calling

Auston Matthews

Maple Leafs.
Dec 6, 2010
Mississauga
um, except for where it's not... We don't know how Altidore or Giovinco will play out... if we start the season tomorrow we have dominic ****ing Oduro and Jackson on the wing.

It seems like Defoe sold for 11 million and Altidore in a SEPERATE deal with MLS. Unsure, but that's what it seems like. Will have to go through allocation, making MTL a very attractive team right now. Portland and the NewYork teams will be calling

Altidore-Gilberto
Giovinco
Oduro Bradley Osorio

Thats a solid combination going in IMO. And yes, thanks for repeating the obvious about the allocation.

Mathew

Dec 12, 2013
Toronto
NY Portland and Tfc all interested in Altidore I believe a player can also become a DP by going through the allocation order

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad