Toronto FC: TFC Discussion Thread - MLS Cup FINAL Nov 10 3PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

MikeK

Nov 10, 2008
Earth
I don't blame the club one bit. The player is 32 and is very likely on the downside of his career. I actually think this is excellant asset management. If they use the money to better the club even better.

Reactions: TMLeafer

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Hmm they didn’t get that much really. But I guess 32 yrs old is starting to get up there for a soccer player?

Wonder now about the other two.

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
$2-3 million says TSN. And I guess the league keeps a chunk (if I recall the rules correctly)? He was definitely on the decline and injury prone. Maybe could've squeezed one more year out of him but I don't hate this asset management as you said.

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
giphy.gif

End of an Era

giphy.gif

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Fantastic ride here.

One of the first Designated Players to actually deliver.

Good luck to you and thanks for the memories.

Reactions: phillipmike

Pookie

Wear a mask
Oct 23, 2013
Hmm they didn’t get that much really. But I guess 32 yrs old is starting to get up there for a soccer player?

Wonder now about the other two.

It is.

Read in a book called Soccernomics that 28 is considered old from a production relative to contract standpoint.

32 year old going to a non Euro league sounds about right.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
The dude is getting paid truck loads of money at 32.

I think we could have done better on the transfer fee considering what they are going to pay Seba.

Either way wish him good luck and just hoping TFC tear it down completely.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Not really sure why it came to this but listening to the chatter over the last couple of days it looked like it was going to happen. I'm not totally against it TBH as long as they spend the money on another star player. But doesn't the transfer window close tomorrow? He wasn't really terrific last season.

MLS transfer window doesn't open until Feb 13. European windows close this week.

Cyle Larin, maybe, as a replacement?

He's getting some more run at Besiktas right now so I don't think that's likely. Also didn't leave MLS on the best of terms.

The dude is getting paid truck loads of money at 32.

I think we could have done better on the transfer fee considering what they are going to pay Seba.

Either way wish him good luck and just hoping TFC tear it down completely.

32 yea olds on the final year of their contract don't demand large transfer fees in any league, especially ones who are significantly overpaid relative to their peer group.

There's zero reason for TFC to tear it down because there's zero benefit to being a bad team in MLS. I have no doubt they'll have a replacement DP in by the first CCL match.

Puckstuff

May 12, 2010
Milton
MLS transfer window doesn't open until Feb 13. European windows close this week.

He's getting some more run at Besiktas right now so I don't think that's likely. Also didn't leave MLS on the best of terms.

32 yea olds on the final year of their contract don't demand large transfer fees in any league, especially ones who are significantly overpaid relative to their peer group.

There's zero reason for TFC to tear it down because there's zero benefit to being a bad team in MLS. I have no doubt they'll have a replacement DP in by the first CCL match.

I guess the benefit to tearing it down (getting any fee we can for Altidore/Bradley) means that we could save upwards of 15 million that could be re-invested into the team next year. Bradley and Altidore make a combined 10 million in salary.

I'd love to go after some South American talent like Atlanta and D.C United.

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
LOL@$5M wasn’t enough. Gee spoiled athletes. He’s lucky he was paid handsomely while in TO.

Crazy.
He's the most talented MLS player ever. He turned the franchise around and brought Toronto a championship. He made MLSE a crap ton of money in the process. His ask was not ridiculous.

MLSE made the smart move in not giving him what he was asking, however.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

MyBudJT

Mar 5, 2018
He's the most talented MLS player ever. He turned the franchise around and brought Toronto a championship. He made MLSE a crap ton of money in the process. His ask was not ridiculous.

MLSE made the smart move in not giving him what he was asking, however.

Maybe in 2016... but the past couple of years, there has been a handful of players performing better than Giovinco...

At 32, he's on the downswing of his career....

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Man it ticks me off. I was hoping for 1 more run this year. That's it for me for seasons next year. I have ZERO interest sitting at BMO field watching a basic MLS game in the cold with a team without talent. Altidore and Bradley are bulls but with limited skill. Vazquez and Gio are play makers. Real vision and skill to pull off great plays.

In hockey in would be like losing Marner and Matty. But we kept Kappy and Hyman. Yeah team can fight through but no ability to break things open.

Getting super skilled talented guys who can make plays is hard to acquire. Especially now. I just don't get why MLSE decided to shed the money this year. They must know the season ticket base is going to be in trouble. Toronto is not a soccer or baseball city so when Blue Jays decided to tear down attendance collapsed. Now it will happen to TFC. Good luck bringing back the houligans.

Reactions: HamiltonNHL

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I guess the benefit to tearing it down (getting any fee we can for Altidore/Bradley) means that we could save upwards of 15 million that could be re-invested into the team next year. Bradley and Altidore make a combined 10 million in salary.

I'd love to go after some South American talent like Atlanta and D.C United.

Yeah I agree with that then. If you can cut salary and re-invest it into transfer fees for some young guys like Atlanta did with Almiron etc that's definitely the correct move.

Would especially like to get rid of Altidore because he's 100% gone after the season. Get the feeling that Bradley lost the room last year but TFC's cleared out some of the problem guys (VdW, Seba) so I do think there's more a chance he stays beyond this contract at a reduced salary.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Yeah I agree with that then. If you can cut salary and re-invest it into transfer fees for some young guys like Atlanta did with Almiron etc that's definitely the correct move.

Would especially like to get rid of Altidore because he's 100% gone after the season. Get the feeling that Bradley lost the room last year but TFC's cleared out some of the problem guys (VdW, Seba) so I do think there's more a chance he stays beyond this contract at a reduced salary.
So so called problem guys as you refer to them VdW Gio and Vazquez are also the skilled guys who are fun to watch because they can make plays. Getting more Altidore's and Bradley's is about as exciting as getting a headache.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I think I ran more to catch my train today than VdW did all of last year. Terrible signing. They should build a statue of Seba outside of BMO but pretty clear he's far, far more into the money than winning at this point in his career. Have never said anything bad about VV.

Considering that all good MLS signings in recent times have been young, technically strong Latin American players I'd hold out before decrying this team's return to MLS 2.0. If they bring in some American retread like Fabian Johnson as Seba's replacement then feel free though.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad