Toronto FC: TFC Discussion Thread - MLS Cup FINAL Nov 10 3PM EST

Status
Not open for further replies.

Amadeus

Stand Witness
Jun 21, 2004
Toronto
If Seba leaves it will be sad. But to be honest, I hope Altidore and Bradley are next. Toronto has the funds to be able to restock, and have some of the best younger talent in the league.

We ultimately has 2 great seasons with this core. One that ended up in a championship. Fans came out, and MLSE saw that there is value in a winning team here in Toronto.

Wouldn't surprise me to see new players brought it replacing the players lost. Big players at that.

De Rossi (Italy)????

Yeah! Great player but if Toronto FC is not able to replace Seba with a comparable player if not better, they have themselves to blame. They've got more than enough money to lure a top notch player if they want to.

BlueForever75

Oct 4, 2017
Funds received for Vasquez and Seba will be infused back into the team.

Having players like Osario, Haglund, Altidore, Bradley, Bono, Moor, Mavinga, Morrow, Delgado, Morgan, etc.. that is still a solid foundation. Acquire 2 players that replace Vasquez and Seba with their transfer funds received, you still have the makings of a solid team.

What exactly have Columbus or Atlanta had that were at Vasquez and Seba level???? Just players they acquired that were nobody's that turned into something.

Not all hope is loss that this cannot be the case for TFC!!!

al secord

Mustard Tiger
Jun 26, 2013
Toronto
Outside of Vasquez, the greatest loss was GM Tim. Who knows what this new management group is capable of?

Maybe they'll have the stones to let Vanney go.

thehockeysong

Nov 1, 2009
Good to see that after winning the title and then going well beyond the achievements of any other MLS team in history in the champions league, that one year of poor regular season play didn't make everyone lose their minds. That'd be embarrassing.

TFC has strong funding and should be fine. Shifting the aging DP's out for fresh talent is necessary and is a positive if they can recruit effectively. Have to have some faith they will.

Reactions: Kurtz

Finnish your Czech

J'aime Les offres hostiles
Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
To all the door and gloomers, supposing seba leaves, wouldn't tfc turn around and spend that money to be competitive again? Soccer clubs don't "rebuild" do they?
MLS is like a hybrid between traditonal NA structure and european soccer structure, so it's harder to just infuse more money in the team and be really good, but you can't really rebuild like you can in NA since the draft isn't very important, and the most important part of the team is the DP which is based on how much the team is willing to spend on a high end player.

Advanced stats

May 26, 2010
MLS is like a hybrid between traditonal NA structure and european soccer structure, so it's harder to just infuse more money in the team and be really good, but you can't really rebuild like you can in NA since the draft isn't very important, and the most important part of the team is the DP which is based on how much the team is willing to spend on a high end player.
So if the draft isn't important, and it's all about how much you spend on a dp, than rebuilding should be easy, especially considering tfc has some good core pieces?

2022 Stanley Cup

Aug 15, 2015
Mississauga
I'm not a big soccer fan at all so can anybody tell me a team or two that would be interesting to watch TFC play in the summer? I have no idea so I'm open to suggestions.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
So if the draft isn't important, and it's all about how much you spend on a dp, than rebuilding should be easy, especially considering tfc has some good core pieces?
The DPs are the most important, but the rest of the squad is also important, which is restricted by the cap/allocation money/max salaries, so youth squads and drafting affect that. But if TFC can find someone like Gio again then they would probably still be fine. Except that's not an easy task.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
How do you go get players of Vazquez and Gio's international skill level? $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$

I still don't understand why did we sell Vazquez? I mean did we need the 10M transfer fee from Qatar? Did he want to leave? This is spiraling now.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
Hmm with only one more year on Gio contract why not just keep him and let it run it’s course UNLESS he does want to leave.
He probably wants to leave now. Other teams are interested. Toronto is selling clearly. As a striker you can't put up numbers unless someone gets you the ball. He sees 2 of our former best guys getting him the ball with skill gone and he goes what da f*ck. If he has a poor year then his value drops for his last contract. In fact he might not get another contract. Bradley is not a visionary with elite passing skills. He is a ball cruncher who can eat it and play the long game. But he is not going to make the quick move and slide a beauty to you for a quick strike goal.

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
They made Gio an offer but lower than last contract. Probably pissed him/agent off. And agents offer they got was so low (2M euros) transfer fee they rejected it without any consideration. But do you think at 20M transfer fee they consider?

trellaine201

Feb 10, 2010
Left coast
Is a transfer fee basically purchAsing a player while under contract?

Have to think it’s the end of the road for him. Seems TFC made him an offer not to his liking.

Just a matter of time now?

JT AM da real deal

Oct 4, 2018
I hope they can sign Gio but it does not look good now. But when a guy feels like he was screwed over on the offer nothing good can come out of it. Manning better step up and give the guy same money at least. I mean the guy won us an MLS Cup. The transfer fee window is up very soon like this week. If you are getting offered 2M euros and you want 15M euros to buy another younger player well you better think again and put a better offer on the table. Gio Vazquez and Altidore are the team. Now we sold Vasquez. Better step up and buy another Vazquez.

Finnish your Czech

Nov 25, 2009
Toronto
Is a transfer fee basically purchAsing a player while under contract?

Have to think it’s the end of the road for him. Seems TFC made him an offer not to his liking.

Just a matter of time now?
Yes, but the player and team have to agree on a new contract. So you can't just buy a player on a cheap contract and have him at for that low salary. It's why you don't hear as much about player salaries as much, since players pretty much get paid what they deserve (outside of edge cases like China and Saudi Arabia) and teams don't bother to sign long term contracts. (Because players will request a transfer if they are underpaid)

TMLeafer

Rest in Peace Johnny Bower
Mar 23, 2008
Hockey Mecca, ON
Not really sure why it came to this but listening to the chatter over the last couple of days it looked like it was going to happen. I'm not totally against it TBH as long as they spend the money on another star player. But doesn't the transfer window close tomorrow? He wasn't really terrific last season.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad