Confirmed with Link: TEUVO TIME!!!!!: Turbo signs 5 year extension

Chrispy

Salakuljettaja's Blues
Feb 25, 2009
Cary, NC
Also we’re at 12 points in 9 games since the signing. He’s really come into his own

I realize this is anecdotal, short-term, and probably not indicative of anything in truth.

But for all the talk of players who perform extra hard in contract years and playing for their big payday only to take a step back after signing, it's great to watch someone who signs a big contract and is able to take a step forward, whether coincidentally or as a result.

Lempo

Recovering Future Considerations Truther
Sponsor
Feb 23, 2014
I realize this is anecdotal, short-term, and probably not indicative of anything in truth.

But for all the talk of players who perform extra hard in contract years and playing for their big payday only to take a step back after signing, it's great to watch someone who signs a big contract and is able to take a step forward, whether coincidentally or as a result.

I posted to the News&Notes I guess a while a back the Finnish interview where Teuvo pretty much says that things are dandy now that he doesn't have to worry about the coming seasons anymore. I would lean on it being a result.

I would also guess that if WPG signed Laine long-term now, he too would be scoring like a beast from the next game on.

CandyCanes

Caniac turned Jerkiac
Jan 8, 2015
Can’t believe how undervalued TT has been labeled by some of our fans a while back. I think he’s finally calming them down. I’ve always been a big believer of TT, thought he could be an annual 65 pt winger for a while, and now he might be exceeding that. He’s pacing for 73 points right now. He plays a great two way game as well. His contract is already a steal in my mind, he should of probably gotten paid $6.8-7M a year.

backwards motion

Sep 29, 2017
Can’t believe how undervalued TT has been labeled by some of our fans a while back. I think he’s finally calming them down. I’ve always been a big believer of TT, thought he could be an annual 65 pt winger for a while, and now he might be exceeding that. He’s pacing for 73 points right now. He plays a great two way game as well. His contract is already a steal in my mind, he should of probably gotten paid $6.8-7M a year.

I don't know him personally, but what I've seen in the past. He's kinda one of those kind guys also that are humble and if he's enjoying the team and believes in the future, it's not too big a deal to take a reasonable (aka not too big) contract. Get compensated for a reasonable price and all ready to go. That's just purely still my judgment, I'm not some kind of wizard. You already have one, Aho is the name I think. Actually now to think, mayby the combo worked like it did at times, because there was same mental attitude and sportsmanship (even if most would say Aho would work well with anyone and they've played together pretty much). [and this shouldn't be counted as a thread "how much Aho' s gonna get", please?]

jiitu

Jun 17, 2013
It is still quite short time to make final conclusions, but yeah...it seems that its a good deal. Even if separating with Aho, he can resolve tje whole game. I could think that one point in not pushing to the last penny was that it is definitely still enough money but at the same time it give less pressure than absolute maximum contract would give. Now he has his own uncertainty over and same time reasonable pressure load. Result is that he can play as relaxed as it is possible in professional sports. Like he says, he just loves to play. So the less there are disturbing things behind the better.

I personally would enjoy playing much much more as 5.5 M steal than 7M flop or so-so

Boom Boom Apathy

I am the Professor. Deal with it!
Sep 6, 2006
I don’t think anything more of him. He’s on a hot streak, at just the right time which is greatly appreciated. I don’t think he’s a different player than I thought he was a month ago.

Agree. I do think he's a different player than the one we got though. When he first got here, he was pretty much all perimeter and I thought his effort on defense was just so-so. While he's not a guy that's going to score all his goals from dirty areas, he is going to the net more often now and also become a pretty good defensive player. His game is making strides.

Tryamw

Loyal Fan of Jerks
Sponsor
Nov 2, 2016
Durham
Agree. I do think he's a different player than the one we got though. When he first got here, he was pretty much all perimeter and I thought his effort on defense was just so-so. While he's not a guy that's going to score all his goals from dirty areas, he is going to the net more often now and also become a pretty good defensive player. His game is making strides.
Like that "empty" net goal the other day with a defender draped all over him. Yes fortunate bounce off the crossbar but some decent effort and close in to the net.

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
Definitely agree overall. He was purely a complimentary player, and now he's in the middle ground between that and someone who can drive play when it matters - at least he has been while he's on this streak at times. I'm fine with him being a consistent producer even if it's as a complimentary piece, we need the skill. Pk'ing doesn't make someone a good defensive player. In fact, being a dangerous offensive player is often what makes you a good pk'er when you're a guy like TT. He's more engaged in general since they made that switch, which is awesome. I don't think he's redefining himself quite yet. I don't care if he does or doesn't make his contract a "steal", just don't be an albatross.

RibFrabcus

Bevy of Humanity
Aug 28, 2015
Triad, NC
Definitely agree overall. He was purely a complimentary player, and now he's in the middle ground between that and someone who can drive play when it matters - at least he has been while he's on this streak at times. I'm fine with him being a consistent producer even if it's as a complimentary piece, we need the skill. Pk'ing doesn't make someone a good defensive player. In fact, being a dangerous offensive player is often what makes you a good pk'er when you're a guy like TT. He's more engaged in general since they made that switch, which is awesome. I don't think he's redefining himself quite yet. I don't care if he does or doesn't make his contract a "steal", just don't be an albatross.

Agreed, him being on the PK doesn't mean he's good at defense. However, he is also good at defense 5v5.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
TT is at worst a 60 point player. Passenger or not at a 5.4 mm cap hit his contract is not an Albatross. Of course he could regress, but that could happen to any player - you take that risk when you sign any player to any reasonable contract.

Now there has not been a significant sample size post signing, but eye test shows that he has turned it up a notch and can play away from Aho. In fact I'd argue that the splitting of him and Aho are the only reason the Canes have 2 lines that can currently score.

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
Nah, has nothing to do with his contract. It just took this long for TT to finally get rid of the off-season "dad bod" :sarcasm:

He finally got away from that albatross, Aho, who was holding him back. :sarcasm:

Honestly, TT has surprised me with the "leap" he's made this season. And even moreso that he did it while signing a big extension mid-season. He seems much more "engaged" this season and you can even see bits of personality coming out, despite him being one of the most introverted guys around. I think we have a bunch of guys like that, actually, and it seems to be helping them all come out of their respective shells a bit.

It's tough for a guy like TT to be a star, because the last thing he really wants is attention. But it really seems that he decided this season that it was time to establish himself as a legit star in this league, and that's exactly what he's done.

One last thing, when exactly did our board get taken over by the Finns?

bleedgreen

Dec 8, 2003
colorado
Visit site
TT is at worst a 60 point player. Passenger or not at a 5.4 mm cap hit his contract is not an Albatross. Of course he could regress, but that could happen to any player - you take that risk when you sign any player to any reasonable contract.

Now there has not been a significant sample size post signing, but eye test shows that he has turned it up a notch and can play away from Aho. In fact I'd argue that the splitting of him and Aho are the only reason the Canes have 2 lines that can currently score.
At worst? I'd be fine if he was in the 50's or above consistently and not complain about the contract. While I think he'll get 60 again this year I don't assume he's gonna hit that every year. I hope he does but I try to keep expectations reasonable. 20-30=50 is a good season for us.

I think the contract is great, and I don't think he'll be an albatross at all, that wasn't my point. Like I said, if he hits 50 or above every year I'll be pretty happy with the contract.

CanesFanBudMan

Borg member
Jun 14, 2016
I wonder if we get to the point sometime in the future (next season) where he gets a shot at the #2C. His defensive game has gone from sneaky good on occasion to downright solid.
Would hate to go into next season without a better plan for 2c than TT/Necas/JStaal - if they want to try TT at C the remainder of this season that's one thing, but if not that's a complete gamble

My Special Purpose

Apr 8, 2008
I wonder if we get to the point sometime in the future (next season) where he gets a shot at the #2C. His defensive game has gone from sneaky good on occasion to downright solid.

Just because a guy *can* play center, doesn't mean he *should* play center. This is my feeling about Aho, too, actually. Aho and TT just don't have the bodies to be regular centers in the NHL. They are both talented enough to do it for any stretch of time, but is the mileage they're putting on their bodies worth it?

It's like catcher in baseball. You've got a guy like Piazza, who's a decent receiver, but he's an extraordinary hitter. If you play him at first base or left field, he could be an extraordinary hitter for 15 seasons. If you keep him at catcher, you'll get maybe eight seasons of elite offense before his body starts to break down. Is the juice worth the squeeze?

Roboturner913

Jul 3, 2012
With Aho, his smarts and the way he uses his leverage make him a natural center IMO, even if he's not the biggest guy. He plays a lot bigger than he is. Keller is the same size as Aho and it hasn't hurt him either.

With Teuvo, I see the point. Still, I think he could do it, with the caveat that you'd probably want to put somebody like Ferland or Neiderreiter on his wing to clear out some space for him to work.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad