Terrible Goals allowed by Goalies at key moments

Discussion in 'The History of Hockey' started by The Panther, Jan 1, 2019.

1. The Panther

The Panther Registered User

I'm sure it's been done, but let's list, and if possible show, the terrible goals allowed by goalies at key moments in games / series / whatever. So, not just random stinkers in meaningless regular season games, or bad goals allowed in series that the goalie-at-fault went on to win handily, but goals with a smell that were also quite impactful.

I'll start:

From when I was a kid, I'll never forget game one of the Edmonton/Winnipeg division final in 1987. The Jets had just hugely upset Calgary and were in a dogfight with mighty Edmonton through game one, tied 2-2 after three periods. Then, overtime began, and ended 36 seconds after it started. To this day, I have no idea how Daniel Berthiaume, who had just stopped 27 of 29 Oilers' shots, allowed this one in the goal:

That is brutal. It's not like the Oilers won this series easily. Gretzky, Messier, Nilsson, and Kurri combined to score only 4 goals among them all series -- only Glenn Anderson had a big series, and you can see why his confidence was high after that one! Who knows, if the Jets win that overtime, maybe a different series...

Do I even have to mention the next two...

Tommy Salo vs. Belarus, 2002 Olympics -- the goal that turned the tide in Belarus's favor, which then eliminated Sweden. I still have never figured out what Salo was thinking when this shot was taken:

And of course, Dan Cloutier vs. Detroit the very same year, 2002:

This may not necessarily have seemed like a key moment at the time (late in 2nd period, game three, Canucks leading 2-0 in the series), but it quickly became clear that it was going to be the turning point. Detroit outscored Vancouver 15-6 after this, winning four straight. Series over, Canucks out.

What do you got??

2. senior edler

senior edler your alternate captain

Although I've never been a T. Salo fan I felt bad for him when that goal happened. The whole team just played uninspired and like crap in that game. Markus Näslund and Michael Nylander was on that team, while Peter Forsberg wasn't. Just night and day, and not only skill wise (which is the major point, because Näslund and Nylander would obviously have been the most skilled players on Team Belarus by a country mile if they switched teams). They were just natural losers.

It's not T. Salo's fault Sweden didn't have a better goalie than him at the time. I remember Johan Hedberg said Salo's kids even got mocked in school afterwards. Just brutal.

What he was thinking? Probably not much. He probably thought "I'll try to catch that puck".

3. nnynetpotato

nnynetpotato Registered User

Is there a clip of Tony Esposito letting in Jacques Lemaire's red line slapper in the SCF?

4. cupcrazyman

cupcrazyman Quijibo

Wings vs Avs

Roys lifts his glove like he has the puck

Yzerman ? Scores

5. brachyrynchos

brachyrynchos Registered User

Richter let in that 75ft stinker by Ron Francis (it was a good shot, but still...) in game 4 of the '92 Patrick Division finals. Pittsburgh later tied the game up and ended up winning it in OT. Evened up the series, Pens won the next 2 to take the series.

6. Normand Lacombe

Normand Lacombe Registered User

Claude Lemieux scoring a terrible softie on Hextall in game 5 of the 1995 ECF from the neutral zone. The goal came with 40 seconds left of a tie game and gave NJ a 3-2 series lead. The Flyers never recovered, losing the series in six games.

7. reckoning

reckoning Registered User

Recently watched Game 4 of the '92 Final between Pittsburgh and Chicago, a game where the Hawks were facing elimination. Chicago had just tied the game, but on the very next play Ed Belfour got beat on a weak one-handed backhand from Kevin Stevens. Keenan immediately pulled Belfour right after that.

8. WaltPoddubny

WaltPoddubny Registered User

Because when you're a 6'4 goalie, jumping up is a sensible thing to do.

9. Uncle Rotter

Uncle Rotter Registered User

(Channeling Don Cherry) It looked like that one went off of Watter's stick.

Sentinel likes this.
  10. ORHawksFan

ORHawksFan Registered User

Konstantinov OT goal in game 3 of the 95 WCF, puts Detroit up 3-0.

Also the 2015 NCAA championship game, BU's goalie lets in a center ice dump in late in the 3rd to tie the same (1:38 in the below video)

nnynetpotato likes this.
  11. The Panther

Good one! That was brutal.

12. Dennis Bonvie

Dennis Bonvie Registered User

Unknown
    Brodeur:

goeb likes this.
  13. ChrisK97

ChrisK97 Registered User

14. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Here it is............1:30. Yeah, a bad one because it got the Habs back in the game in Game 7 of the Cup final. Ouch. I've seen this clip before and I cannot take my eyes off of that girl who reacts after the Lemaire goal by rolling her eyes. Just gorgeous! Anyways............(ahem)...........back to hockey.

I've seen that goal before, and it is the first thing I thought about too. It could have taken a slight misdirection, and I think it did. Granted, Anderson was a LONG ways away from the net and in the position he was in he was clearly teeing up for a shot so as a goalie from that far out I think you have to be prepared either way.

adsfan, Sentinel and nnynetpotato like this.
  15. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

I think there is a worse overtime goal from the Oilers and Jets in the 1980s. I can't find it on Youtube but the overtime goal in 1984 Game 2 of the opening round. Randy Gregg took a somewhat weak shot from the point and the Jets goalie lets a non-screened goal from the point just slide in. It wasn't a hard shot, not a trick shot and he knew it once he let it in.

Either way, 1984 or 1987 I don't think the Oilers lose either way.

For the longest time I always thought Grant Fuhr's goal that he allowed in overtime in Game 1 of the 1987 Canada Cup final was weak against Semak. Truth is, it wasn't. That was a very, very difficult shot to make and about as perfect as possible. Reminds me a bit of Yzerman against Casey in 1996 which seemingly looked like a shot you should stop. Sure he could have, but it was also a hard labelled shot, just like Semak's.

Okay here is a goal. I don't know, is it weak? You guys tell me. It never gets talked about as being weak.

16. Beau Knows

Beau Knows Captain Canada

17. koyvoo

koyvoo For Badgeholders Only

Toronto-Ottawa game 7 2004

Sentinel, Uncle Rotter and goeb like this.
  18. The Panther

Good memory! I thought posting that one, but I just didn't think it was that 'important' as the Oil had already won game one. But yeah, it is brutal!

19. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Found it.
    0:25 is that terrible Gregg goal. I don't know how that goes in. Gregg is literally just trying to get a decent shot away by the looks of it, there are no screens in front. Another one, Moog looked horrible on this goal in 1997. Ryan Smyth on a questionable angle bursting down the left wing. It isn't Nieuwendyk vs. Lalime in 2004, but it shouldn't have gone in either. That's at 5:18

goeb likes this.
  20. Johnny Engine

Johnny Engine Moderator

It's a little hard to tell what Tretiak's sightline was like given that he's not in frame when Henderson releases his shot, but it's possible that Tsygankov got in the way or deflected it.
    The pass Lutchenko makes though, woof. Why would you just backhand the puck right into the middle of the ice like that?

21. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

Definitely belongs in the other thread "bad defensive plays in big moments" too

22. McGarnagle

McGarnagle Yes.

Game 7 of the 2010 ECSF, at the tail end of the first period, Bruins stormed out to a 3-0 lead and were dominating play. A Flyer player (I think it was Briere, could be mistaken) tries a shot from just inside the blue line but heels it and Tuukka Rask gets completely twisted around like a pretzel by a 20 MPH dribbler that finds its way into the net to give the Flyers life heading into the first intermission. The Bruins were deflated and the collapse followed in the second and third periods.

brucejohnjennerlawso likes this.
  23. Big Phil

Big Phil Registered User

That was bad, yeah. I'll give him a break though, it was deflected badly and certainly is the reason it threw him off.

24. ShelbyZ

ShelbyZ Registered User

Jamie Langenbrunner's red line slap shot that went in on Chris Osgood during OT in game 5 of the 1998 WCF comes to mind.

Certainly helped fuel the silly notion that the Red Wings won in spite of Osgood in 1998...

25. frisco

frisco Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...

The last four games in Moscow of that series were literally strewn with bad goals let in by Tretiak. A lot of stoppable shots went in for Canada. The one in the video isn't horrible but it seems like there were quite a few of them.

My Best-Carey

Uncle Rotter and nnynetpotato like this.