Terrible Goals allowed by Goalies at key moments

Super Fadio Bro

MAMA MIA!!!
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
2010 WCSF Game 3: SJ @ DET

The Wings led 3-1 in the game then Jimmy Howard allowed a weak goal to Logan Couture to tie the game.

Marleau would score in OT to win the game and the Sharks would go up 3-0 in the series.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
I think there is a worse overtime goal from the Oilers and Jets in the 1980s. I can't find it on Youtube but the overtime goal in 1984 Game 2 of the opening round. Randy Gregg took a somewhat weak shot from the point and the Jets goalie lets a non-screened goal from the point just slide in. It wasn't a hard shot, not a trick shot and he knew it once he let it in.

Either way, 1984 or 1987 I don't think the Oilers lose either way.

For the longest time I always thought Grant Fuhr's goal that he allowed in overtime in Game 1 of the 1987 Canada Cup final was weak against Semak. Truth is, it wasn't. That was a very, very difficult shot to make and about as perfect as possible. Reminds me a bit of Yzerman against Casey in 1996 which seemingly looked like a shot you should stop. Sure he could have, but it was also a hard labelled shot, just like Semak's.

Okay here is a goal. I don't know, is it weak? You guys tell me. It never gets talked about as being weak.

Tretiak was a BUM! A player that I used to watch (Don Westbrooke of the Dayton Gems) scored a hatter on him as a player for the Seattle Totems.

How does a career minor league player put in 3 against the best goalie in the world?

Last edited:

Albatros

Aug 19, 2017
Ostsee
Andrei Markov's desperation slap shot from his own goal line to break Boris Tortunov's shutout and tie the game eight seconds before the end in the 1999 European Hockey League final between Dynamo Moscow and Metallurg Magnitogorsk.

McGarnagle

Yes.
Aug 5, 2017
Am I the only one who thinks that Jon Casey gets off the hook too easy on the Yzerman goal?

Yeah, Yzerman got all of it, a perfect snipe. But it was an unscreened shot from the blue line. Not that he should've saved it, but in a parallel universe, he could've. That said, it's amazing that a backup goalie like Casey got them to double OT against the powerhouse Wings without surrendering a goal in the first place.

The Panther

Mar 25, 2014
Tokyo, Japan
Am I the only one who thinks that Jon Casey gets off the hook too easy on the Yzerman goal?

Yeah, Yzerman got all of it, a perfect snipe. But it was an unscreened shot from the blue line. Not that he should've saved it, but in a parallel universe, he could've. That said, it's amazing that a backup goalie like Casey got them to double OT against the powerhouse Wings without surrendering a goal in the first place.
I think, in the case of a back-up coming in against a 131-point team and shutting the door (mostly), Casey earns a pass on any not-bad goal. My memory of that series is that Casey was really, really good, and way exceeded expectations. You just can't fault the back-up in that kind of situation, esp. when he allowed one goal in 4 periods! The Blues could have won that series in 6-games with a home-ice win.

Besides, we're talking about Yzerman getting all of a shot. Dude was a pretty good player.

Michael Farkas

Grace Personified
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.HockeyProspect.com

It's one of my favorite goals in history. I have seen it well over a hundred times...I still get a little teary-eyed watching it and I dislike Detroit, but the emotion of the moment gets me still...

That said, I still secretly debate that in my head sometimes...I have shown the goal to more than a dozen people in my life certainly and never once said it out loud...I don't know if I feel that might taint the moment or what...but you have a valid bone to pick...maybe not for this thread specifically, but in a general sense...

Reactions: McGarnagle

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Tretiak was a BUM! A player that I used to watch (Don Westbrooke of the Dayton Gems) scored a hatter on him as a player for the Seattle Totems.

How does a career minor league player put in 3 against the best goalie in the world?

Was that just a game the Soviets were playing against them sometimes in the 1970s or whenever?

Yes and no. A couple of factors with that goal. For starters it was in double overtime and it was a 1-0 game. If you are a goalie and are in your 5th period and haven't allowed a goal yet then you usually get a pass on whatever goal you allow as long as it isn't the level of Salo in 2002 or something. Casey's goal he allowed definitely wasn't in that neighbourhood.

He also made 39 saves prior to that goal. I've never looked at Gretzky for coughing up the puck to Yzerman there because if anything it was Gretzky who was caught by surprise by intercepting a pass himself. He just didn't get a hold of the puck and Yzerman picked it up. Plus it was at the Red Wings' blue line. Another thing was allowing Yzerman to just waltz through the neutral zone. Someone should have stood him up around the blue line. But as a defenseman they did everything else right. No one screened Casey badly on it.

I don't know.............it was just a howitzer in the top corner. Stoppable for sure but Yzerman really leaned into it and it was a perfect shot.

adsfan

May 31, 2008
Milwaukee
Was that just a game the Soviets were playing against them sometimes in the 1970s or whenever?

Yes and no. A couple of factors with that goal. For starters it was in double overtime and it was a 1-0 game. If you are a goalie and are in your 5th period and haven't allowed a goal yet then you usually get a pass on whatever goal you allow as long as it isn't the level of Salo in 2002 or something. Casey's goal he allowed definitely wasn't in that neighbourhood.

He also made 39 saves prior to that goal. I've never looked at Gretzky for coughing up the puck to Yzerman there because if anything it was Gretzky who was caught by surprise by intercepting a pass himself. He just didn't get a hold of the puck and Yzerman picked it up. Plus it was at the Red Wings' blue line. Another thing was allowing Yzerman to just waltz through the neutral zone. Someone should have stood him up around the blue line. But as a defenseman they did everything else right. No one screened Casey badly on it.

I don't know.............it was just a howitzer in the top corner. Stoppable for sure but Yzerman really leaned into it and it was a perfect shot.

Yes, the USSR played some exhibition games in the 1970s in NA. The Totems were in the WHL and the Soviets probably didn't expect a guy who scored 50 goals in the IHL three times to be on the ice against them. What a terrible surprise for Vlad!

PurpleMouse

Apr 27, 2014
I think Casey was playing with a neck injury as well so that could have been a factor. Heck of a shot regardless.

frisco

Some people claim that there's a woman to blame...
Sep 14, 2017
Northern Hemisphere
2007 Luongo is too busy arguing with the ref and lets in a Scott Niedermayer wrister from the point in double-OT of elimination Game Five.

My Best-Carey

Reactions: goeb

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia

Coming from someone who plays goal, no its not a bad goal at all. Its still technically stoppable, but its just below being bar down on the blocker side. Any sane stance will have your blocker hand sitting on top of the paddle, roughly in the middle of the net or a little lower, so you have to move the blocker hand upwards through its entire range of motion to reach top corner. Doesn't sound like much, but its a long ways to go when you have maybe a half or a quarter second to react after picking up the shot. And the shot is incredible. That has to be 100 mph or at least close.

All goalies are weaker blocker side because any save you make with the blocker you have to consider what youre doing with the stick too. Not as simple as making a glove save where you have a free range of motion. Your stick is vital for covering the fivehole and deflecting away shots near the low corners, so if you make a move to stop a shot with your blocker you have to be really sure that youre not about to take your stick blade off the ice.

The only really major mistake Casey made on that play was not being aggressive enough on the angle. Top of the crease isnt enough for a scorer of Yzermans calibre, and if you watch closely Casey fades backwards into his net throughout the shot when it would be better to cut an aggressive angle and hold it.

My addition to this thread isnt actually a bad goal, but its my all time favourite "almost" bad goal:

Wings, Hawks 1995 Conference Finals Game 2, Wings leading by a goal in the final minute

Imagine if Vernon had let a stinker like that in. Itd live on the highlight reels forever :eek:

Reactions: Johnny Engine

cole von cole

Mar 1, 2016
Speaking of the 95 series between Detroit and Chicago, how about this stinker from Belfour? Instead of the series potentially being 2-1, this goal put the Wings up 3-0

(2:34 of the video)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003

Imagine if Vernon had let a stinker like that in. Itd live on the highlight reels forever :eek:

Man, how the heck does that one never come up? I mean, that's true it is an "almost" goal but I am still surprised that one never gets more air time based on what could have been. Just goes to show you that horrible plays (and that was a bad, bad play by Vernon) will be forgotten even by the biggest of fans so long as it gets redeemed.

Man... I remember that one.

24 years later, and it still has a scent...

People forget this, but Belfour was criticized as a choke artist for most of the 1990s. This goal was an example. 1993 was another example, even 1991 although he was a rookie. This is probably why Belfour wasn't on the 1996 World Cup team or the 1998 Olympic team.

Hockeyholic

Apr 20, 2017
Condo My Dad Bought Me

It was a perfect shot. I don't know that many goalies stop that.

dr robbie

Let's Go Pens!
Feb 21, 2012
Pittsburgh

I was searching the thread to see if this one was posted or not, so you can't be too far off. I still blame Gretzky on the flub, but that goal was 100% on Casey. That series and game was the most deflating one I can recall for Blues fans.

Jim MacDonald

Oct 7, 2017
Coming from someone who plays goal, no its not a bad goal at all. Its still technically stoppable, but its just below being bar down on the blocker side. Any sane stance will have your blocker hand sitting on top of the paddle, roughly in the middle of the net or a little lower, so you have to move the blocker hand upwards through its entire range of motion to reach top corner. Doesn't sound like much, but its a long ways to go when you have maybe a half or a quarter second to react after picking up the shot. And the shot is incredible. That has to be 100 mph or at least close.

All goalies are weaker blocker side because any save you make with the blocker you have to consider what youre doing with the stick too. Not as simple as making a glove save where you have a free range of motion. Your stick is vital for covering the fivehole and deflecting away shots near the low corners, so if you make a move to stop a shot with your blocker you have to be really sure that youre not about to take your stick blade off the ice.

The only really major mistake Casey made on that play was not being aggressive enough on the angle. Top of the crease isnt enough for a scorer of Yzermans calibre, and if you watch closely Casey fades backwards into his net throughout the shot when it would be better to cut an aggressive angle and hold it.

My addition to this thread isnt actually a bad goal, but its my all time favourite "almost" bad goal:

Wings, Hawks 1995 Conference Finals Game 2, Wings leading by a goal in the final minute

Oh man! I don't remember this Vernon one!! Man that would've been terrible!

c9777666

Aug 31, 2016
How about Kelly Hrudey on the back to back LeClair 1993 Cup Final OT goals?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->