Terrible Goals allowed by Goalies at key moments

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
How about Kelly Hrudey on the back to back LeClair 1993 Cup Final OT goals?

Yes, those were horrible. Man it just goes to show you how much Gretzky carried the Kings in those days that he got a team with Kelly Hrudey as their starter to the Cup final.

On the first Leclair overtime goal in Game 3 I mean he literally never stands up again after the initial Leclair shot. He just lays on the ice. One thing to point out, there was a defenseman who I believe was Mark Hardy, who just needed to turn around and he could have cleared the puck away. Instead he just stepped up to Bellows and kept him from getting the puck. Terrible awareness, but Hrudey still looked bad.

I always felt bad for Sydor on the Game 4 overtime goal. Again, Hrudey is completely out of his net for no reason and never gets back in so Sydor comes in to try and stop Leclair from wrapping the puck back in and it goes off his skate. It didn't matter, Leclair would have done it either way.

I was searching the thread to see if this one was posted or not, so you can't be too far off. I still blame Gretzky on the flub, but that goal was 100% on Casey. That series and game was the most deflating one I can recall for Blues fans.

Gretzky actually nearly picked off a bad pass. If anything it caught him by surprise and then bounced of his stick to Yzerman. This was at the opposing blue line. Unless you make a defensive gaffe that leads to a breakaway or a two on one at the opposing blue line, you shouldn't be to blame. There were 4 other players on the ice who could have done something to stop it as well. The defense letting him walk in as close as he did, Casey not stopping it (although it was a great shot) is all more to blame for it. A few months later Gretzky didn't look good on the shift where Amonte scored the World Cup winning goal.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad