Terrible Goals allowed by Goalies at key moments

Super Fadio Bro

MAMA MIA!!!
Jan 12, 2009
Somewhere
Pretty sure Brodeur let a weak goal in Game 6 of the 2001 SCF to if irc Adam Foote.

Fleury sitting on the puck that ends up in the net in Game 6 of the 2008 SCF (that ended up being the GWG).

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Jamie Langenbrunner's red line slap shot that went in on Chris Osgood during OT in game 5 of the 1998 WCF comes to mind.

Certainly helped fuel the silly notion that the Red Wings won in spite of Osgood in 1998...

It wasn't so bad because at least the Red Wings won the series after that and then the Cup. However, Osgood allowed 3 goals from outside the blueline in the 1998 playoffs.

Reactions: Sentinel

goeb

Oct 24, 2013
Grand Rapids, Michigan
Jamie Langenbrunner's red line slap shot that went in on Chris Osgood during OT in game 5 of the 1998 WCF comes to mind.

Certainly helped fuel the silly notion that the Red Wings won in spite of Osgood in 1998...

I think it is about time to exhibit some of the weak goals Osgood let in during the 1998 playoffs:

Round 1 - Game 3 against the Coyotes he lets in a long distance one to Roenick that trickles through

Round 2 - Game 3 against the Blues he lets in a centre ice blast from Macinnis in the last minute that sent the game to OT. To be fair Macinnis did get all of that one.

Round 3 - Stars live another day with a centre ice goal in OT by Langenbrunner (who is no Al Macinnis). It is obvious by this point that teams are taking slap shots from anywhere on Osgood.

I would add a fourth one in this post if I was allowed to.

To Osgood's credit he bounced back with remarkable games after those ones. His resiliency is why the Wings continued to have faith in him....that being said, those are some of the weakest compilation of goals you will see against one goalie during a playoff season (not to mention at crucial junctures).

Nerowoy nora tolad

May 9, 2018
Gladstone, Australia
I think it is about time to exhibit some of the weak goals Osgood let in during the 1998 playoffs:

Round 1 - Game 3 against the Coyotes he lets in a long distance one to Roenick that trickles through

Round 2 - Game 3 against the Blues he lets in a centre ice blast from Macinnis in the last minute that sent the game to OT. To be fair Macinnis did get all of that one.

Round 3 - Stars live another day with a centre ice goal in OT by Langenbrunner (who is no Al Macinnis). It is obvious by this point that teams are taking slap shots from anywhere on Osgood.

I would add a fourth one in this post if I was allowed to.

To Osgood's credit he bounced back with remarkable games after those ones. His resiliency is why the Wings continued to have faith in him....that being said, those are some of the weakest compilation of goals you will see against one goalie during a playoff season (not to mention at crucial junctures).

In fairness Macinnis did that to many goaltenders over the years. He was dangerous even from center ice as he was one of those rare players who could regularly get off shots in the 90-100 mph range even in game situations. Hearsay is that shots that hard (or pitches that hard in baseball) move so fast that theyre literally impossible to see and react to for a goaltender.

Reactions: goeb

Normand Lacombe

Jan 30, 2008
Hextall (again) and Garth Snow both gave up long unscreened goals from the Flyers blueline in the first two games of the 1997 SCF. Yzerman scored a goal that was unscreened from the Flyers blueline on Hextall in game 1, while Shanahan and Maltby did likewise on Snow in game 2. May as well have awarded the Cup to Detroit after the second game as the series was essentially over.

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Always thought this one was a bit soft. Maybe not terrible but one that needs to be stopped

YearlyDelightfulAfricanwildcat.webp

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Bob Mason Game 7 Isles/Caps in 1987. 5 min to go in the 3rd this tied that game. Supposedly a strap on his pads had broken and allowed this to slip through. One that has to be stopped though.

giphy.gif

blood gin

Jan 17, 2017
Pretty sure Brodeur let a weak goal in Game 6 of the 2001 SCF to if irc Adam Foote.

Fleury sitting on the puck that ends up in the net in Game 6 of the 2008 SCF (that ended up being the GWG).

Yes. It was a terrible goal in what was a bad series by Brodeur

giphy.gif

Rexor

Oct 24, 2006
Brno
The one play that immediately popped up in my mind when reading the thread title was Dušan Salfický at the 1998 Czech Extraliga playoffs. His team was up 2-1 in the series. The fourth game was about to go into overtime, then he did this at 59:55:

(Go to 0:52)

His team (Plzeň) would never recover from this and eventually lost the series.

Last edited:

chrispw1

Dec 5, 2015
I recall Corey Crawford letting in a few bad overtime goals against the Coyotes in the 2012 playoffs, after that a lot of people here wanted to run him out of town but he bounced back after that.

Last edited:
Reactions: ORHawksFan

Conor Edwards

Oct 22, 2018
Detroit, MI
You can't have a list like this without Chris Osgood's 60-foot blunder on Langenbrunner in Game 5 of the Western Conference Final in 1998 (Ozzie came back though, as he always did.)

Big Phil

Nov 2, 2003
Bob Mason Game 7 Isles/Caps in 1987. 5 min to go in the 3rd this tied that game. Supposedly a strap on his pads had broken and allowed this to slip through. One that has to be stopped though.

giphy.gif

Good one. Never thought of that one. We always think of the 4 overtimes in which Mason was very good while Hrudey I think made the harder saves on the other end. But yeah, the tying goal was weak, I doubt Trottier thought he was scoring there.

Bob Dupuis against Finland, 1980 Olympics (58:30 in)

Yikes. Never knew about that one. To be honest, even as a Canadian all I ever think about when I hear the 1980 Olympics is the US Miracle on Ice. Yet we played pretty good in these Olympics, amateurs and all. This was the game that more or less sealed us not moving onto the next round though.

In the 2015 Finals, when Bishop went out to play the puck, colliding with Hedman and giving Sharp a tap-in

When that goal went in, this is when I thought the Hawks were winning the Cup. People forget, Tampa was up 2-1 in that series and this was Game 5 when it was tied 2-2 in Tampa. Hawks win the next two games and it all started with this goal.

arrbez

bad chi
Jun 2, 2004
Toronto
Fleury banking the game-winner into his own net in the gold medal game:

That was just gut-wrenching as a Canadian. Thankfully social media didn't really exist in 2004.

Last edited:

double5son10

Jan 20, 2011
Denver
Surprised no one has posted this classic blunder yet. Dennis Herron's boner that helped end a dynasty. Game 7, 1980 Quarter Finals

Last edited:
Reactions: Uncle Rotter

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad