Injury Report: Teravainen diagnosed with a concussion

Stormie

Jan 8, 2014
Atlanta, GA
Have we seen Teuvo with Aho and Necas yet this season? I feel like the chemistry would be amazing, with Aho and Necas producing highlights on a nightly basis.

Only concern is they are probably the 3 lightest guys on the team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
Have we seen Teuvo with Aho and Necas yet this season? I feel like the chemistry would be amazing, with Aho and Necas producing highlights on a nightly basis.

Only concern is they are probably the 3 lightest guys on the team.
Just on the power play, and that simply becomes a why fix what isn't broken when everyone's healthy thing. Necas and Tro had amazing chemistry as well and the Finns are still the Finns

spockBokk

Sep 8, 2013
Aho and Necas need a guy like Niederreiter on their line to win board battles. Necas isn’t a small guy, but I get the sense he’s got a good bit of filling out to do. Once he does gain some more strength, it might sense for him to play with Teravainen and Aho.

When Trocheck and Teravainen come back, I’d like to see this:

Niederreiter-Aho-Necas
Foegele/???-Trocheck-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Staal-Fast

??? - being whoever they bring in at the deadline (E Staal, Granlund, etc)

Those are 3 lines that should all be able to provide scoring and matchup issues for opposing teams. I really like what I’ve seen lately from the J Staal line, just need to Svechnikov to snap out of his slump.

MinJaBen

Canes Sharks Boy
Sponsor
Dec 14, 2015
Durm
Aho and Necas need a guy like Niederreiter on their line to win board battles. Necas isn’t a small guy, but I get the sense he’s got a good bit of filling out to do. Once he does gain some more strength, it might sense for him to play with Teravainen and Aho.

When Trocheck and Teravainen come back, I’d like to see this:

Niederreiter-Aho-Necas
Foegele/???-Trocheck-Teravainen
Svechnikov-Staal-Fast

??? - being whoever they bring in at the deadline (E Staal, Granlund, etc)

Those are 3 lines that should all be able to provide scoring and matchup issues for opposing teams. I really like what I’ve seen lately from the J Staal line, just need to Svechnikov to snap out of his slump.

The slump may be related to his linemates. There may be no "snapping out of it" until he plays with high upside players.

AhosDatsyukian

Sep 25, 2020
The slump may be related to his linemates. There may be no "snapping out of it" until he plays with high upside players.

Ehh, that may be part of it but he's definitely been noticeably "off" aside from linemates. He has opportunities for shots that he would snipe last year or early this year that he's just missing on, also been getting knocked off the puck quite a bit more lately too. Part of it may be how much opposing teams are focusing in on him as it seems like every time I see a failed power move or other move from him it's on some elite defenseman who is able to break it up, whereas he'd score on those last year... Some passes are off too even when the "inferior" linemates are open at times. I mean, he's really struggled on the top powerplay lately and that unit is not hurting for talent around him.

I have absolutely no concerns about Svech though, despite this latest slump. He's still insanely young and the linemates definitely plays into it and we've already seen what he can do when he isn't slumping. Just a matter of time before he's dominating again I think.

hblueridgegal

Timing is Everything
Sponsor
Sep 13, 2019
Old North State
RBA's thoughts on TT from ESPN article:
Trocheck is back skating with the team, but the absence of Teravainen looms, with no timetable for the 26-year-old to return.
"It's a huge loss for a lot of reasons that a lot of people don't understand," Brind'Amour said. "Teravainen is probably one of the best defending players in the NHL. He's very, very smart and can cover for those other guys who are a little more offensive-minded, or take more risks. So having him out is a big loss -- and we definitely are feeling the effects of losing both those guys, Troch and Teravainen."

Discipline Daddy

Brentcent Van Burns
Nov 27, 2009
Raleigh, NC
I love Brindy's quotes. Glad to hear the coach confirm what I see with the eye test all the time about Teuvo's defense. The crazy part is that Teuvo doesn't always LOOK like he's trying hard. Like when I watch Foegele or Lorentz play I just see their efforted back check. Teuvo just does his thing quietly. Took me a while to notice. Same with Slavin. Now that I'm on to them, I see a good defensive subtle play virtually every shift from them.

It's also absolutely bananas we've had a good season missing our top goalie for all but 4 games, missing our best passer for most of the year, and now missing Troch (who I would say this year is our best shooter) for 7 games. It still feels like we're getting away with something by being so good while missing so much.

The Faulker 27

Nov 15, 2011
Sauna-Aho
I love Brindy's quotes. Glad to hear the coach confirm what I see with the eye test all the time about Teuvo's defense. The crazy part is that Teuvo doesn't always LOOK like he's trying hard. Like when I watch Foegele or Lorentz play I just see their efforted back check. Teuvo just does his thing quietly. Took me a while to notice. Same with Slavin. Now that I'm on to them, I see a good defensive subtle play virtually every shift from them.

It's also absolutely bananas we've had a good season missing our top goalie for all but 4 games, missing our best passer for most of the year, and now missing Troch (who I would say this year is our best shooter) for 7 games. It still feels like we're getting away with something by being so good while missing so much.

I think good players are sometimes overlooked because they're often reading the play, and are in a position to defend before it gets to scramble mode like you often see with guys like Foegele who standout for their effort but they're also overcompensating for a lower level of talent/iq.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad