Tell me how we realistically fix our defense...

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I think that most of us can agree on here that the defense is the weakest link of this team, and the biggest priority that needs to be fixed.

So I get confused when I go to the draft thread and see most people advocating for taking a forward over a defenseman.

Also see a lot of people deterring from solid UFA Jason Demers.

So if we aren't drafting defenseman, and not signing free agents, someone tell me how we are going to fix this defense...

Or are we waiting for another Ryan Suter to hit free agency? Or trading a pile of scraps for a legitimate #1 defenseman?

Vladdy84

L-O-Y-A-L-T-Y
Dec 1, 2011
Farmington
Trading for one of Fowler/Trouba/Shattenkirk.

Ideally Ericsson retires or gets moved. But we know the later is NEVER gonna happen.

If we can get Fowler to go with Green, DD, Smith, Kronwall, XO/Marchenko I'll feel better.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
A trade for an impact player would be great. Whether or not we have the pieces to get that done, or those players are even available, is a whole separate issue.

I think we need to go heavy on defense in the draft, and make upgrades where you can in free agency or buy-low trades.

You can get a guy like Trevor Daley or Jason Demers for minimal assets? Go for it.

Otherwise you sit on your hands until your dream guy becomes available in free agency/trade, and if you miss out, you are ****ed. And you have just let the problem compound itself further. And you are more desperate, and more liable to do something stupid like give Ericsson a big contract he doesn't deserve.

Number1RedWingsFan52

Mar 17, 2013
Winter Haven Florida
Hopefully Holland can talk Ericsson into retiring.

And hopefully we can trade for both Fowler and Shattenkirk, That should already help us a lot.
Sounds like from Blash that Ouellet will be on the team next season, Still think that Smith could be a goner maybe Dallas would've interest in him.

Let the kids Russo and Sproul try and earn a spot out of training camp most likely. No matter what happens it wont be an easy fix over night it will take awhile.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
we need to do all 3 Frk it

their are no impact dmen in free agency(outside suter) so the best route to achieve that goal outside hitting the lottery in the draft is through trade.

Now sometimes people confuse "impact" dmen with only being "elite" dmen(the doughtys, karlssons, keiths etc) but it dosent have to be the case. Guys like vatanen/fowler/myers/lindholm//trouba/shattenkirk would all impact us greatly and do so for the long term. I think we need to start thinking outside the safety box and make a move for one of these guys or a simmilar one that we(as hfboard posters) dont yet even know is or could be available even if it costs us substantive pieces(anyone outside mrazek and larkin should be fair game).

If after 5 years of this rebuild on the fly we haven't acquired anyone outside those two who could be used to address the defence then we have greatly mismanaged these last five seasons/drafts/etc and are in serious trouble.

IF we can do that then we need to move salary(players) who're NOT part of our long term vision and replace them with someone who is(either internally or through free agency). This is where we need to think long and hard about buying out or trading ericsson and howard and going after a demers to help round out the blueline

Finally we need to create a roster spot on our blueline for one of the prospects to come up from GR and take, we may need to do this every year or just once if that prospect comes up and exceeds all expectations

As far as the draft goes we should be drafting all dmen and maybe 1 centre and 1 goalie this year and to go further, we should trade prospects already in our system(ie jurco, pulkinnen, jensen, frk) who we dont believe are here long term to land more draft picks and use those picks on dmen(even if the picks are only 3rd rd or worse) just to increase our odds of success

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
The "D"

While I would like to get Demers as a free agent, I would LOVE to get Trouba in a trade and, with the exceptions of Mrazek, Larkin, Mantha and AA, I am willing to give up any combination of assets to achieve this goal. Normally I am loathe to trade draft picks, but I am willing to offer this years' first and second, next years' first(lottery protected-top 5 picks), the third from Toronto(for Babcock)and any one (or two) of Marchenko, Ouellet, Jensen or Sproul. I admit thats a lot to pay, but I truly believe that he's worth it. RFA-22 yrs. old-6'2"/200 lbs. right hand shot and he's from Michigan(hoping for a home town discount). From what I have read, seen and heard, he is a legitimate 1st. pair guy. Would anchor our d for the next decade and would be part of the YOUNG core with Mrazek,Larkin, Mantha and AA. Elite level tender, stud defenseman, power forward and #1 and 2 centers. I love it.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
we need to do all 3 Frk it

their are no impact dmen in free agency(outside suter) so the best route to achieve that goal outside hitting the lottery in the draft is through trade.

Now sometimes people confuse "impact" dmen with only being "elite" dmen(the doughtys, karlssons, keiths etc) but it dosent have to be the case. Guys like vatanen/fowler/myers/lindholm//trouba/shattenkirk would all impact us greatly and do so for the long term.

Trouba or Shattenkirk would be my preference. (yes- I bleed red, white, and blue)

1) What would the cost be?
2) Are they likely available?

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I agree with everything said so far, trade for an upgrade now and draft for some help later.

For added oohs and aahs, Burns, Hedman, Shattenkirk and Alzner are all UFAs next summer. We can hope one of them isn't re-signed.

Last edited:

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
I agree with everything said so far, trade for an upgrade now and draft for some help later.

For added oohs and aahs, Burns, Hedman, Shattenkirk and Alzner are all UFAs. We can hope one of them isn't re-signed.

shatty is the only one on that list who wont be(maybe)

hedman and burns are elite dmen almost franchise level so forget it

alzner is solid but cant see the caps walking away from him

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
If Holland is serious about improving the defense for once, then a trade is realistic. We can afford to give up Nyquist/Tatar, our 1st, and one of Mantha/Svechnikov for a Shattenkirk or Trouba (although it won't cost that much).

Never before have we had a glut of young talent to spare (our problem is that it's too forward heavy) and I can't remember a time when so many defenseman with offensive acumen - Vatanen, Shattenkirk, Barrie, Trouba - could be had.

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Trouba or Shattenkirk would be my preference. (yes- I bleed red, white, and blue)

1) What would the cost be?
2) Are they likely available?

I dont really know but i would assume one of tatar/nyquist would be involved plus a mantha/svechnikov/16th OA plus even more for trouba

i would prefer we deal with the ducks as i really think fowler or vatanen is traded this summer and the price wont be as steep

mindfly

Happy camper!
Jan 7, 2011
Bloomfield Hills, MI
Why is Ericsson seen with such high regard in this club? Basically every red wing fan think he's a useless pylon, but all the management think he's good, or so it appears because they don't "act" on him...

Are the fans ******** or is the management awful? I think the latter

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010

For added oohs and aahs, Burns, Hedman, Shattenkirk and Alzner are all UFAs. We can hope one of them isn't re-signed.

I take it you mean next summer? Cause all those guys are UFA NEXT summer. Not this year.

Shatty is maybe the only guy who hits the market, but I imagine he is traded prior to hitting the market, Blues aren't going to get nothing for him.

According to an Mlive poll we need a big defensive defenseman more than anything else. :laugh:

We need a defensive defenseman like I need a hole in the head...

Mister Ed

Dec 21, 2008
I take it you mean next summer? Cause all those guys are UFA NEXT summer. Not this year.

Shatty is maybe the only guy who hits the market, but I imagine he is traded prior to hitting the market, Blues aren't going to get nothing for him.

I'm on a streak of horrible post-making, I'll take a break :laugh:
I meant next summer (2017)

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
I dont really know but i would assume one of tatar/nyquist would be involved plus a mantha/svechnikov/16th OA plus even more for trouba

i would prefer we deal with the ducks as i really think fowler or vatanen is traded this summer and the price wont be as steep

Meh... I would do a Vatanen for Tatar/Nyquist swap at this point... Or something similar.

But I just don't love it. Would probably rather have Fowler. I love Vatanen's offensive game and puck moving ability, I just want someone that's a little harder to play against.

Shattenkirk is a legit top pairing guy IMO, and I really like Trouba's potential to become one.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Until at least one of Kronwall or Ericsson isn't playing big minutes, this defense is doomed.

Dead Thing Fan

Jan 25, 2016
The "D"

Until at least one of Kronwall or Ericsson isn't playing big minutes, this defense is doomed.

Without any outside additions, I would go with the following pairings:

1)DDK/Green-Best combo of defense and offense
2)Smith/Marchenko
3)Kronwall/Ouellet
Ericsson

Zetterberg4Captain

Aug 11, 2009
Detroit
Meh... I would do a Vatanen for Tatar/Nyquist swap at this point... Or something similar.

But I just don't love it. Would probably rather have Fowler. I love Vatanen's offensive game and puck moving ability, I just want someone that's a little harder to play against.

Shattenkirk is a legit top pairing guy IMO, and I really like Trouba's potential to become one.

i also prefer fowler to vatanen(plus he is alot bigger)

and i agree on shatty being a legit top pairing guy and he would be my #1 choice of anyone we could alnd this summer

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004
Why is Ericsson seen with such high regard in this club? Basically every red wing fan think he's a useless pylon, but all the management think he's good, or so it appears because they don't "act" on him...

Are the fans ******** or is the management awful? I think the latter

The answer is in the middle.

Ericsson hasn't seemed the same since he broke his finger, but a lot of Wings fans blame him for more than is warranted, likely because of his contract.

I can't remember the exact situation at the time of the signing but his contract was one of the first results of Holland having no post-Lidstrom plan. Between RFA's and UFA's I think the only defensemen Holland had locked up more than 1 season were Kronwall, Kindl and Lashoff, so Ericsson had a lot of leverage. The amount wouldn't have been terrible if the term wasn't so long.

obey86

Jun 9, 2009

2)Smith/Marchenko
3)Kronwall/Ouellet
Ericsson

I think that Kronwall/XO pairing would be just as bad as the Kronwall/Ericsson pairing. 2 guys who can't skate.

Lazlo Hollyfeld

The jersey ad still sucks
Mar 4, 2004

2)Smith/Marchenko
3)Kronwall/Ouellet
Ericsson

Even Dekeyser wouldn't be able to make Green look good if he's out against top lines every night.

Reddwit

Feb 4, 2016
Even Dekeyser wouldn't be able to make Green look good if he's out against top lines every night.

When Kronwall was Dekeyser's age, I didn't want him out there against the top lines nightly. People seem to forget Kronwall was prone to pretty big brainfarts in his own zone until about his late 20s. DD still has time to grow.

I actually have questions about Dekeyser's conditioning. He seems gassed way too frequently for my liking. I don't think it should be too much for him to play 24-25 minutes hockey-wise but he seems to physically struggle too often for that right now. Needs to get stronger and work on his stamina.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad