Status
Not open for further replies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
What do you define as role players.

They can't keep running this shit back and expecting that things will magically change. Simmons is stubborn, a head case as you said, and a poor fit from a schematic standpoint with the teams best player. How many more playoff series do they need to watch him dribble the ball up the court, pass it off, and stand on the baseline while the team plays four on five on offense until they move on.

By “role player” I mean bench guys. If you trade Simmons (and I do want him traded) you have to get back a guy who is a legit starter on a contending team, or else the Sixers won’t be a contending team.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
The best value in the NBA these days are talented players who get drafted in the mid to late 1st rd but need a couple years to develop, the worst value are "names" over 30 that are past their peak years but not their peak salaries.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
By “role player” I mean bench guys. If you trade Simmons (and I do want him traded) you have to get back a guy who is a legit starter on a contending team, or else the Sixers won’t be a contending team.

They need a legitimate starter and a couple top role players and/or high draft picks.
They don't need a "superstar," but a upper tier starter, ideally either a top PG or SF who can shoot the lights out and make his own shot.
What they don't need are flawed bench players (he can shoot but can't defend, etc.) or overpaid, over 30 "names."

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
They need a legitimate starter and a couple top role players and/or high draft picks.
They don't need a "superstar," but a upper tier starter, ideally either a top PG or SF who can shoot the lights out and make his own shot.
What they don't need are flawed bench players (he can shoot but can't defend, etc.) or overpaid, over 30 "names."

Agreed. This is why of the names I’ve heard tossed around (regardless of how substantial) the one that interests me most is Haliburton. He’s not that upper tier starter yet, but he could be very soon. And he can play 1, 2, or 3. Looks like he will be a decent defender as well.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Wrote this after Game 5 v the Hawks. My opinion hasnt changed.
Lotusflower said:
Didnt watch the game. But it seems the concerns that we talked about before the season all came to a head.
You'd expect this against a Nets/Bucks caliber team and not this trash Hawks squad but here we are.

There's 2 ways to look at this:
1) Youre in cap hell. With one of the league's elite players but you cant depend on him to be there game to game and even when he plays he tends to fade late. Behind him you have 360 million tied up in players who cant dominate consistently against elite competition.

2) You secured the top seed with an MVP candidate missing 1/3 of the games. Your core is 28, 27, and 24/25 with youth and further upside already on the roster. You have at least a top 5 GM.

Even if they got blown out in G6 i still lean towards option 2.

The team has mental competency questions overall but outside of '20 Jo and Tobi have a trend of improvement every year.
Its reasonable for that trend to continue especially if the year ends in disaster which is a possibility.
Both guys have a lot of pride, carry themselves as stars and are hardworkers.
Combined with expected improvements from depth (Maxey, Thybulle, Reed, IJ) that alone might be enough to win the title outright in '22.

As for Simmons, he's a both a sunk cost and a wildcard simultaneously.
His limitations are obvious but he's still the youngest member of the core by over 2 yrs.
There's still high end upside there however much of a long shot it is and when you consider his value hasnt been this low since he was playing club ball in AUS I think the best option is to hold the asset and hope as he ages he'll be better able to handle his performance anxiety.
This isnt a Wiggins situation where you deal at a loss just to get off the contract he's too young and too good for that.

I wouldnt trade him for A Beal/CJ/Kemba caliber player. They all suck and would make the team worse.
A Dame deal is not realistic. If the Blazers are going to trade the most popular player in franchise history its not going to be for a 170 million dollar mentalcase. They'll go the Houston route take a boatload of picks and tank before they do that.

Henry Miller

Sep 5, 2020
76ers fans aren’t exactly the roughest crowd so it’ll be interesting to see how they treat Ben if he’s still in a sixer uniform at the start of the season

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Wrote this after Game 5 v the Hawks. My opinion hasnt changed.

Agree with a lot of that although I wouldn't put Beal in the same category as CJ and Kemba. He's better (and younger) than those guys. My guess is that if DC offered him for Simmons Morey would do it. He was the 2nd leading scorer in the league and would take a huge load off Tobi and Embiid. He's a legit all star caliber player who plays a position of need, I doubt Morey would be able to do better than that. That said, it doesn't sound like the Wizards want to trade him or that he wants to be traded.

snoop88

Apr 15, 2012
maybe the one offseason we do absolutely nothing is ironically the year that propels deep in the playoffs.

I doubt it, but it's happened before in NBA history.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Maxey - Thybelle - Simmons - Harris - Embiid
Curry - Springer - Korkmaz - Reed - Drummond
Bassey, Joe, Tucker

Milton as trade bait.

Wouldn't surprise me if Morey waits to see how the Summer league team looks before his next wave of moves.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Maxey - Thybelle - Simmons - Harris - Embiid
Curry - Springer - Korkmaz - Reed - Drummond
Bassey, Joe, Tucker

Milton as trade bait.

Wouldn't surprise me if Morey waits to see how the Summer league team looks before his next wave of moves.

Would be interesting. Likely fun to watch.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
One of Maxey/Thybulle in the starting lineup not both.
Hopefully Morey has a plan at SF if Danny doesnt re-sign.
I doubt Springer gets many minutes at all this year.
IJ's skillset fits better hopefully flashes enough to be in the rotation at 2/3.
Reed + Drummond could be good but likely will be a spacing nightmare.
Niang will get most of the backup 4 minutes especially if Simmons is traded.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland

Thoughts on Bradley from his brief time with Philly?

To me he seems a solid young backup C to put behind Vucevic at good value on this deal for Bulls but my only recollection of him was from brief viewings of him with Jazz

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
One of Maxey/Thybulle in the starting lineup not both.
Hopefully Morey has a plan at SF if Danny doesnt re-sign.
I doubt Springer gets many minutes at all this year.
IJ's skillset fits better hopefully flashes enough to be in the rotation at 2/3.
Reed + Drummond could be good but likely will be a spacing nightmare.
Niang will get most of the backup 4 minutes especially if Simmons is traded.

Forgot they added Niang, that makes the rotation even better.

My problem with Curry as a starter was the same with Green, can't guard a top scoring guard one on one, I think he's better suited to the "Lou Williams" instant offense role off the bench. If he starts, the other guard has to be able to defend top scorers, which suggests Matisse unless Maxey takes a big step forward on defense this summer.

Springer might get the same chance as Maxey, he's got good size and is a willing defender, off the bench that can compensate for being raw.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014

Thoughts on Bradley from his brief time with Philly?

To me he seems a solid young backup C to put behind Vucevic at good value on this deal for Bulls but my only recollection of him was from brief viewings of him with Jazz

He's got some upside, athletic center with some offensive chops, can't match up against top centers, but there's only a handful of those in the NBA these days, but otherwise a solid backup who can start in a pinch.

TheWolfOfBroadStreet

Apr 7, 2014
Dallas, TX
I have faith in morey. Simmons would be boo'd to another dimension opening night in philly so I really cant see how he remains. The report that had the quote of simmons potentially returning, also talked in depth about how it was an unlikely scenario that ben would even want to return.

This team has a 4-5 year window of Embiids prime left so as much as I would like a young guy with upside (haliburton being a perfect example), it would be a HUGE risk that I am not sure the sixers can afford to make. Has there been any news on Dame or Beal? I cant imagine either of them are happy with their current teams offseason so far.

Edit: within minutes of asking for a dame or beal update we got the following.

Last edited:

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
This is pretty amazing. Or would be if we weren't talking about the Knicks. I assume the streak will end with Barrett at the latest.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

The Madrigal

Apr 26, 2016
In a simulation
Fair enough. Most of the ''rumored deals'' included better players than that. Obviously we don't know what is true and what isn't. I would trade him for Brogdon and Levert, or would have done Sexton, Love, and a first before they signed Drummond and Niang. I just don't think you can bring him back for a multitude of reasons.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Fair enough. Most of the ''rumored deals'' included better players than that. Obviously we don't know what is true and what isn't. I would trade him for Brogdon and Levert, or would have done Sexton, Love, and a first before they signed Drummond and Niang. I just don't think you can bring him back for a multitude of reasons.

Brogdon + Levert I think gets you closer to a title than Sexton, Love, + 1st. Neither of those deals really excites me that much though. I agree that things could be unpleasant if he's in the lineup come opening night. I can't think of a reaction to a single performance by a player like that since probably Mitch Williams.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad