OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers are still searching.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinatown88

Daniels QB3
Jan 17, 2012
The Universe
I know you were asking Jojo, but it's pretty much a 3 player class, with 1 of those 2 (Zion) being a tier above the other two (Morant and Barrett). I'm not as high on Zion as most, He's 6'7 and I think he looked small in college, which means he might be a man without a position in the NBA, too small for the 4 and doesn't really fit the mold of a 3. But who knows, Barkley was only 6'4 and he's still young enough to grow a few more inches, plus he's really athletic. But if I was a team who needed a Guard and had the 1st pick I'd really consider taking Morant over him.

I personally like Culver a lot too and if I'm the Pelicans (or whoever they trade that pick to) at #4 he's my BPA. Darius Garland would have had a lot a hype around him had it not been for his injury. I might have went back to school if I was him, but he's probably still going to be a Top 10 pick.

In the Sixers position, I really like Carsen Edwards, kids a player and I think we'll be great rotation player/6th man type. And I always hold the opinion, that if I'm picking outside they top 10, I'm almost always picking an upperclassman. Especially in a crap class like this. Although maybe not as talented as some other those Fr. and So. Those guys are more developed, polished and mature and I'd rather pick one of those guys than some under developed kid who either got bad advice and came out too early or is just chasing money.

I know this an extreme example, cause even I didn't expected him to this good, but IDK how Draymond Green lasted to RD2, always knew he was at worst going to be a glue guy 6, 7, 8th man on someones bench. So at 24 give me someone like Edwards, Cameron Johnson, Grant Williams or Thybulle rather than Tyler Herro, Kevin Porter or Horton-Tucker for example.

Any info is appreciated. I haven't been watching the college ranks as much as I used to. I think this might be the first year in a long time where I'm completely clueless.

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
I know you were asking Jojo, but it's pretty much a 3 player class, with 1 of those 2 (Zion) being a tier above the other two (Morant and Barrett). I'm not as high on Zion as most, He's 6'7 and I think he looked small in college, which means he might be a man without a position in the NBA, too small for the 4 and doesn't really fit the mold of a 3. But who knows, Barkley was only 6'4 and he's still young enough to grow a few more inches, plus he's really athletic. But if I was a team who needed a Guard and had the 1st pick I'd really consider taking Morant over him.

I personally like Culver a lot too and if I'm the Pelicans (or whoever they trade that pick to) at #4 he's my BPA. Darius Garland would have had a lot a hype around him had it not been for his injury. I might have went back to school if I was him, but he's probably still going to be a Top 10 pick.

In the Sixers position, I really like Carsen Edwards, kids a player and I think we'll be great rotation player/6th man type. And I always hold the opinion, that if I'm picking outside they top 10, I'm almost always picking an upperclassman. Especially in a crap class like this. Although maybe not as talented as some other those Fr. and So. Those guys are more developed, polished and mature and I'd rather pick one of those guys than some under developed kid who either got bad advice and came out too early or is just chasing money.

I know this an extreme example, cause even I didn't expected him to this good, but IDK how Draymond Green lasted to RD2, always knew he was at worst going to be a glue guy 6, 7, 8th man on someones bench. So at 24 give me someone like Edwards, Cameron Johnson, Grant Williams or Thybulle rather than Tyler Herro, Kevin Porter or Horton-Tucker for example.

Yeah, I'm just not a Barrett fan. I believe in the shot, especially on spot ups, and he's a phenomenal rebounder. Deceptively solid passer too. My eyes tell me he has zero defensive instincts and lacks polish overall despite playing tons of high level basketball for his age. His STL% is alarmingly low, bordering on panic mode. It's lower than Naz Reid!

He is young and I'm trying to take that into account, but I'm very afraid he might be such a poor team defender that you can't play him in high leverage minutes. If it wasn't for his age, I don't think I would have him top 10. I know I'm very much in the minority on this one.

Reactions: Chinatown88

jasonleaffan

Dec 7, 2008
Toronto
I really don't think that's what happened. The price was so hilariously over the top cheap that they couldn't afford to say no. DeRozan shouldn't have had significantly positive trade value and they got what I thought at the time was the 3rd best player on the planet with upside left. You take that chance and make him say no to the money every single time.
You said you thought at the time we got the third best player on the planet, has he moved up?

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013

giphy.gif

A 12 game sample size in Tatum's rookie yr and Brown's 2nd buried the C's rebuild entirely.

trostol

Learn to swim, Learn to swim
Jan 30, 2012
R'lyeh
Lakers are scrambling to make moves to get a max slot..i hope no one does them any favors

tucson83

Sep 30, 2017
i would just let butler and harris go and reasonable vets around these young players.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
@JojoTheWhale
Came up with something like this. Didn't rank any non-NCAA players or Garland. Started from a pool of a couple hundred players and narrowed down. Only outside influence in this is Thybulle. Comparing it to a few mocks it doesn't look too wonky except for my Norvell and Okeke and ranks. Definitely prepared to look like a fool in a year or two, but it's fun to follow and a lot scouting is luck and what kind of situation these prospects will be drafted into.

Z. Williamson PF Duke

2. J. Culver SG Texas Tech
3. J. Morant PG Murray St.
4. C. Okeke PF Auburn
5. B. Bol C Oregon
6. D. Hunter SF Virginia

7. R. Barrett SF Duke
8. B. Clarke PF Gonzaga
9. T. Jerome PG Virginia
10. Z. Norvell SG Gonzaga
11. J. Hayes C Texas
12. P. Washington PF Kentucky
13. J. Porter PF Missouri

14. C. White PG UNC
15. S. Ponds PG St. John's
16. G. Williams PF Tennessee
17. B. Fernando C Maryland
18. N. A.-Walker SG Virginia Tech
19. E. Happ PF Wisconsin
20. D. Lawson PF Kansas
21. D. Gafford C Arkansas
22. M. Thybulle SG Washington
23. K. Johnson SG Kentucky

JojoTheWhale

CORN BOY
May 22, 2008
@JojoTheWhale
Came up with something like this. Didn't rank any non-NCAA players or Garland. Started from a pool of a couple hundred players and narrowed down. Only outside influence in this is Thybulle. Comparing it to a few mocks it doesn't look too wonky except for my Norvell and Okeke and ranks. Definitely prepared to look like a fool in a year or two, but it's fun to follow and a lot scouting is luck and what kind of situation these prospects will be drafted into.

Z. Williamson PF Duke

2. J. Culver SG Texas Tech
3. J. Morant PG Murray St.
4. C. Okeke PF Auburn
5. B. Bol C Oregon
6. D. Hunter SF Virginia

7. R. Barrett SF Duke
8. B. Clarke PF Gonzaga
9. T. Jerome PG Virginia
10. Z. Norvell SG Gonzaga
11. J. Hayes C Texas
12. P. Washington PF Kentucky
13. J. Porter PF Missouri

14. C. White PG UNC
15. S. Ponds PG St. John's
16. G. Williams PF Tennessee
17. B. Fernando C Maryland
18. N. A.-Walker SG Virginia Tech
19. E. Happ PF Wisconsin
20. D. Lawson PF Kansas
21. D. Gafford C Arkansas
22. M. Thybulle SG Washington
23. K. Johnson SG Kentucky

Good list! You can always tell when someone makes their own instead of copy and pasting.

I go back and forth on Thybulle. He's probably the most difficult evaluation in the class for me.

It's not just the huge STL% and BLK% swings from year to year either. We have to account for Washington switching from man to zone bases on either side of that change. Are his lowish rebounding rates in his later years a result of playing at the top of a zone or is he just not that good at it? If he's not going to rebound, is he playable at 6'5"? It feels weird to call a 22+ year old an upside play, but that's what it feels like to me.

Reactions: Schwarbomb

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
Good list! You can always tell when someone makes their own instead of copy and pasting.

I go back and forth on Thybulle. He's probably the most difficult evaluation in the class for me.

It's not just the huge STL% and BLK% swings from year to year either. We have to account for Washington switching from man to zone bases on either side of that change. Are his lowish rebounding rates in his later years a result of playing at the top of a zone or is he just not that good at it? If he's not going to rebound, is he playable at 6'5"? It feels weird to call a 22+ year old an upside play, but that's what it feels like to me.
I've debated whether to include him or not. He is very tough to gauge. Out of those 23 players, he has the worst rebounding rates per possession and 2nd worst career defensive rating (but was stellar in his senior year). I'm counting on his godlike stls+blks and his free throw stroke to possibly find a niche in some team's rotation.

Reactions: JojoTheWhale
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad