OT: Teh Philadelphia Seventy Sixers are here to Shake part 2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
There was much consternation and gnashing of teeth during the live play of the game. Who here still thinks that Brett Brown needs to be fired after this Sixers win?

TRUST

THE

PROCESS

all we need to do is go 90 percent at the ft line every game and we will beat the celtics.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
The reality is, the Sixers won the game despite not playing particularly well. Butler said that he was “tired as <expletive>” because of the back to back and told Embiid before the game, “just get me to the fourth quarter”. The Sixers didn’t shoot well (especially Harris) and played crappy defense in the first half.

If they had actually played well for the entire game they could have won the game comfortably.

Lotusflower

Tha Snake, Tha Rat, Tha Cat, Tha Dog
Dec 23, 2013
Sixers are really MARQUEE again. First time since '01 the city is buzzing this much over the team. Feels Good.

Reminds me of the Lindros years circa 96-97. Jo is actually a nice player comparison with Lindros.
Reversal on the injury bug timeline though.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmons is already hitting some jump shots, the 3s will take a few years.
He's also learning to be more aggressive in the post, where he presents a huge matchup problem with Butler on the floor.

Thing is, we haven't seen the "real" Simmons yet, go look at pictures of the Greek Freak 4-5 years ago, and look at him now.
Simmonds is going to fill out the next few years and become unstoppable in the post.
Add a mid-range jumper and hook to his arsenal and watch out!

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
You act like the Sixers dont have 4 stars to the Celtics' 1.
You act like the Celtics arent an old fellowship compared to this newly constructed lineup of ours.

we have not demonstrated we are capable of duplicating last nights effort. So much hope put into such little evidence.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
we have not demonstrated we are capable of duplicating last nights effort. So much hope put into such little evidence.
That isnt anything to be ashamed or worried about. This core is 15 months old. The current roster not yet 2 months.

And the fact that we might not make the Finals is cause for concern??? I dont get that notion at all.
Youve still got ppl hangwringing on Simmons/Embiid's fit when they are the best duo since Durant/Westbrook.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
That isnt anything to be ashamed or worried about. This core is 15 months old. The current roster not yet 2 months.

And the fact that we might not make the Finals is cause for concern??? I dont get that notion at all.
Youve still got ppl hangwringing on Simmons/Embiid's fit when they are the best duo since Durant/Westbrook.

simmons and embiid is not a good fit. Not in today's game anyway. I am not comfortable with paying our 5th option on offense a max contract. That seems counter productive Also the best duo since durant westbrook is durant curry. And there is nothing even f***ing close

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
That Smart incident was a catalyst to waking the Sixers up...

142729_s1.jpg

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmons is going to be fine, he's in his 2nd NBA season, 1 college season, he's far from a finished product.

Schwarbomb

Howie Be Thy Name
Jul 2, 2011
Arizona
I wonder if Simmons voluntarily hurt his scoring efficiency like Giannis does chucking up 3s at a 24% clip, how the perception of him would change. The guy knows he can't shoot, and doesn't. No problem like that. There's many ways to add value. Trade him for CJ McCollum for example and the Sixers get a whole lot worse.

Reactions: Ruck Over

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Simmons will learn how to shoot, the Greek Freak was pretty awful for a few seasons.
He's already improved his FT to about 70% or so, which is good enough for now.
Simmons has also become more aggressive in his post game.

Simmons is already a top defender who can cover 2-4, the fast PGs are a bit much for him and he needs a couple years in the weight room to handle true PFs and centers - but he'll get there.

His passing is still a work in progress, I think like any young kid, he sometimes gets carried away and makes foolish passes that look great when they work, but result in too many turnovers - but that's part of the learning process. But he also is a human highlight machine.

Lotusflower

Dec 23, 2013
simmons and embiid is not a good fit. Not in today's game anyway. I am not comfortable with paying our 5th option on offense a max contract. That seems counter productive Also the best duo since durant westbrook is durant curry. And there is nothing even ****ing close
giphy.gif

This take still exists? Only someone who doesnt watch the games, or know history, would still push this.
Simmons and Embiid are the original fit: great passer/great scorer.
Yet everyone tries to pigeonhole the core because its Curryball right now.
Like development doesnt exist. Like we dont have the best developmental coach in the world.
giphy.gif

You're a betting man right? What's got a higher probability of happening in the next 3 years you think:

Ben Simmons NOT living up to a max contract or Ben Simmons and Joel Embiid figure it out at some point?

This is why you draft generational talents young. They can develop consonant skillsets over time.
But of course they dont play like the Warriors "right now" so let's blow it up.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
This is why, if his knees hold up, Jo Jo has a shot at being the GOAT.

https://www.nbcsports.com/philadelp...-knows-what-it-will-take-be-part-conversation

How many players who have his talent, his money and his attention, also have his dedication to his craft?

Talent is nice, but what separates the best players is drive, Jordon developing a 3 points shot when he was already the best player in the league, the King's dedication to conditioning when he could just count his cash . . .

This is why I stress intangibles in every sport, because the talented guys shine early in their career, the dedicated guys shine for a long career.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad