Teemu Pulkkinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shaman464

No u
May 1, 2009
Boston, MA
No continuing to play him 8 minutes a night is poor asset management. He can lead Grand Rapids to another Calder Cup championship in the meantime.

Yes, because there comes a point where playing him in the AHL stops being useful for his development. Pretty much at this point where he's destroying the AHL.

Claypool

Jan 12, 2009
Yes, because there comes a point where playing him in the AHL stops being useful for his development. Pretty much at this point where he's destroying the AHL.

He's gotten better and better which each new call up. I fail to see how this is going to hurt his development long-term. Given the age and injury history of some of this team's forwards he'll likely be back up again at some point before the playoffs.

Jul 30, 2005
I mean, what is location, really
Maybe, but the AHL playoffs are a higher level of competition than the regular season. He can still develop there.

Besides, it does a young guy good to win a championship. It develops that confidence that NHL scorers need to have. You can see it in Tatar.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
I really don't see Pulkkinen making much of an impact this year in the NHL, especiallly not in the playoffs. Next year is his time. If we can get him some more games down the stretch that would be good, but I don't see a fit for him if everyone's healthy now that we have Cole.

BinCookin

Feb 15, 2012
London, ON

I understand this is a prospect site. And your avatar implies this is your favorite prospect.

But.

This is how Detroit does things. You come up for a bit, down, up for a bit, down.

Pulkkinen has looked good. He is telling management that next year they can pencil his name into the lineup. But lets be honest here. Erik Cole is a better player than pulkkinen right now. For this year.

Next year Pulkkinen will be here. No worries.
We like things now now now. And that is not how the NHL works, ESPECIALLY detroit. Get used to disappointment for speedy development, but realize that Pulkkinen is doing just fine. He is developing well. Your avatar should be safe for years :)

ap3x

Jan 31, 2014
Stockholm
Word. Nothing surprising. That's what everyone has to experience throughout his prospect time here.
If not for injuries, you won't speed the process up significantly . Even when you excel with the Griffins like Pulkks does this year.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
Years go by and people still don't understand which player is best to be 13th-14th forward and which won't...

This, it makes no sense to have Pulks up if he's just going to be scratched. Makes more sense to have Cleary sit in the press box and be able to step in the 1 or 2 games a year someone can't go last minute because of sickness or whatever.

drw02

Aug 10, 2013
I don't like it one bit. He was a valuable player for them in his short stint, producing offensively in bottom 6 minutes. His shot is a dynamic they need more of, not less. Cole was supposed to replace Helm not both him and Pulky. Andersson is not needed in the starting lineup, solid 13th forward but just put Glenny back at 4C. Team is at it's best when they deploy 4 lines that are capable of scoring.

Frk It

Mo Seider Less Problems
Jul 27, 2010
What the heck is Joker doing that Pookie can't? Pookie can shoot and score and play on the PP. Joker can PK... Well it's about time some other players do that.

With the acquisition of Cole, Joker is back to being 13th/14th

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
It kind of sucks, but at the same time it is logical. I am not too worried though. We will see more injures between now and the end of the season.

loudernow*

I like Pulks, but I wonder what this will do to GR. They've been playing their best hockey without Teemu and Mitch.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I don't like it but suppose it's to be expected. I do think they're a better team with him on it though:

Abdelkader Datsyuk Tatar
Cole Zetterberg Nyquist
Weiss Sheahan Pulkkinen
Jurco Glendening Miller

vs

Abdelkader Datsyuk Tatar
Cole Zetterberg Nyquist
Weiss Sheahan Glendening
Jurco Andersson Miller

Too bad that trade w/ Weiss for Phaneuf didn't get worked out.

RedMachine87

May 20, 2011
A^2
I like Pulks, but I wonder what this will do to GR. They've been playing their best hockey without Teemu and Mitch.

Posted this in the GR thread. Should be the lines?

Big winner with these trades has got to be Blashill and the Griffins. Boy does that team look dangerous now, if/when Marchy and Pulu go down:

Pulkkinen - Miele - Zengerle
Mantha - Athanasiou - Tvrdon
Frk - Nosek - Ferraro
hoggan - Aubry - Porter

Paetsch - Sproul
Ouellete - Marchenko
Lashoff - Jensen

Mrazek

Scary!

obey86

Jun 9, 2009
Michelle @Slapshotg0al · 3m 3 minutes ago
Holland says Babcock said he wasn't going to play Pulkkinen tomorrow night, so Holland sent him down to GR so he could play.

Holland says it's more Babcock's call on if Marchenko plays when healthy. Holland says Marchy plays in DET or goes back to GR.

Maybe we should start blaming Babcock more often when these young guys get sent back to the AHL? If Babcock doesn't want to play them I certainly don't blame Holland for sending them down so they can get playing time.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009
Was there something wrong with the way Pulks played? Some glaring flaw? Maybe Babs just prefers Jurco and it was between those two.

Pavels Dog

Feb 18, 2013
Sweden
Holland says Babcock said he wasn't going to play Pulkkinen tomorrow night, so Holland sent him down to GR so he could play.

Holland says it's more Babcock's call on if Marchenko plays when healthy. Holland says Marchy plays in DET or goes back to GR.

Maybe we should start blaming Babcock more often when these young guys get sent back to the AHL? If Babcock doesn't want to play them I certainly don't blame Holland for sending them down so they can get playing time.
Why does there need to be blame thrown around? Looking up and down the lineup right now it's hard to find a fit for Pulkkinen. He's not going to be a 4th line player on a Babcock team. Sending him down makes the most sense for now.

Was there something wrong with the way Pulks played? Some glaring flaw? Maybe Babs just prefers Jurco and it was between those two.
I don't think so. He has looked okay. But he has also had plenty of rookie moments where you can tell he's not comfortable in the NHL yet. His shot is an asset but other than that there's not really anything about his play that would force Babcock to sit someone else. I think Jurco's game at the moment is more versatile, he brings some more size and has proven to fit well on a 4th line as well as on scoring lines.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad