Teemu Pulkkinen

Status
Not open for further replies.

Past Considerations

May 13, 2007
Finland
He shoots from everywhere and the kid wants the puck. I love watching him tap his stick. He loves to score and it would not shock me if he puts up 40 goals in a season in the future.
That seriously needs to stop at this level, when it's not happening in some kind of a blind pass situation :D He did that immediately in his 1st game this season on a PP. Must have gotten some remarks about it by the older players.

Rzombo4 prez

May 17, 2012
I think it's a bigger reflection on Franzen being injured. The Wings love a bigger guy with scoring touch. They can slide up and down the lineup.

I love what I'm seeing from Pookie so far, but he's a prototypical scorer that should be in the top 6 to succeed.

I don't think the issue is can he play at the NHL level, I think the issue is can we slot him into the current roster in a place where he can contribute and be successful. He is by all accounts a goal scorer and needs to be scoring goals. Not only does he need a spot to open up for him on the roster, he needs a certain spot to open.

Like others have said, this is ultimately a good problem to have.

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
Exactly. I don't know why we always have to have this conversation. This is how the Wings develop players. You dominate, get called up, get sent down to dominate some more, and then you play the next season. We've seen that it works quite well, so what's the fuss about?

It was a bigger issue when you had old guys that couldn't skate taking their spots, but the current roster is full of legitimate players filling a role. There's basically very little dead weight, and what does exist, is on the 4th line.

Hendricks433

Feb 18, 2013
It was a bigger issue when you had old guys that couldn't skate taking their spots, but the current roster is full of legitimate players filling a role. There's basically very little dead weight, and what does exist, is on the 4th line.
This, and it would be better to have more veteran experience in the playoffs than just Datsyuk, Z, Kronner, Big E and to an extent Abby. We have a lot of youth on the team and its shown its best to have a good balance.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
Posted this in the prospects forum:

Ideal situation for him at this point is playing a key role in a long playoff run in Grand Rapids, culminating in a Calder Cup, then coming to Detroit next fall with a set spot in the top 9.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Posted this in the prospects forum:

Ideal situation for him at this point is playing a key role in a long playoff run in Grand Rapids, culminating in a Calder Cup, then coming to Detroit next fall with a set spot in the top 9.

Yeah, just like Tatar did. Playoff MVP with 16 goals in 24 games.

Be a hero. Win a Championship. Make a good memory.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That seriously needs to stop at this level, when it's not happening in some kind of a blind pass situation :D He did that immediately in his 1st game this season on a PP. Must have gotten some remarks about it by the older players.

If you're open and have a bomb of a shot like Pulkkinen than there's nothing wrong with it.

The Zermanator

In Yzerman We Trust
Jan 21, 2013
If you're open and have a bomb of a shot like Pulkkinen than there's nothing wrong with it.

I think the problem is that once you start tapping your stick like a madman you're not going to be open very long. He's giving away his position and his intention and in doing so is taking away his own time and space.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I think the problem is that once you start tapping your stick like a madman you're not going to be open very long. He's giving away his position and his intention and in doing so is taking away his own time and space.

Depends how quickly the pass is made. I agree it shouldn't be something to do frequently, but I think it's appropriate occasionally. Pulks isn't the only player that does it.

Henkka

Jan 31, 2004
Tampere, Finland
Just wait when Pulu is put together with Datsyuk... and we'll see Brett hull reborn. he already has "mini-ahl-dats" in Miele, but Pavel is from another planet.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

Of course there's something wrong with it. The sound of the stick isn't relayed through walkie talkies. The other team can hear it too :laugh:

StNickFan

Dec 3, 2014
Ohio
Of course there's something wrong with it. The sound of the stick isn't relayed through walkie talkies. The other team can hear it too :laugh:

this :laugh:

Makes me so mad when players tap there stick. At most is your ready to shoot put your stick in the air showing your ready for a one timer. It only attracts players the can see you and if they see you while your open there probably already on there way over to you.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008

So what? If he's open and a teammate is unaware, it can be beneficial

The Zetterberg Era

Ball Hockey Sucks
Nov 8, 2011
Ft. Myers, FL
So what? If he's open and a teammate is unaware, it can be beneficial

Not a huge problem at the NHL level though. Granted his linemates a lot of the time have been tap the stick kind of guys, I notice he doesn't do the beaver tap a whole lot to Weiss.

NHL guys will find you if you're open a majority of the time, tapping your stick just gets the D-man at that level that cover time and space and close angles at a level unrivaled at any other club level league in the world to come shut you down. A big part of that is almost nobody does it unless they are stationary, so you can start closing to the sound without being worried about over-committed the guy isn't moving.

You know who used to do this all the time Stamkos and hey even Ovie did. You notice both guys cut that out in a hurry, Pulks will too in my opinion because it is a big reason you just don't do it, you are giving your position to more than the puck carrier.

Mijatovic

Jan 23, 2014
Western Australia
I dont get it. A forward is aware of your presence without looking but the defenceman isnt? Honestly, feels like rubbish that you guys heard on far too many NHL commentators.

The defenceman for a start is already looking in the correct direction to see where Pulkinnen is and the guy driving the net probably isnt. So how does letting your forward know where you are make things worse?

Bench

3 is a good start
Aug 14, 2011
crease
So how does letting your forward know where you are make things worse?

It's a tell. You're projecting what will happen needlessly. To the defenders, the goalie, and holy hell you might not even be the best option available so stop tapping.

But don't even take our word for it, check out Brett Hull quietly sliding into the slot and blasting slap shots into the net over and over. Pay attention to the final 40 seconds when he's getting feeds on the Red Wings for 1-timers.

You'll see all his focus is being ready for the pass so he can get the shot off quickly as possible.

Risingwind

Feb 26, 2015
It's a tell. You're projecting what will happen needlessly. To the defenders, the goalie, and holy hell you might not even be the best option available so stop tapping.

That's the problem with it. As a goalie it's imperative to keep track of everyone on the ice (to aim rebounds and getting ready for cross-ice passes) and having someone announce themselves makes it just that much easier. The goalie is going to check your position anyway, so at least make them lose vision with the puck when doing it. Not a fan of stick tapping except when the opposing team does so.

Hagged

Jul 6, 2009
Maybe Pulkkinen only taps his stick when he doesn't wan't the puck and just does it for the distraction.

TheOtherOne

Jan 2, 2010
I understand the reason everyone is saying that tapping the stick is bad, but at the same time I highly doubt it's as big a deal as we all make it out. I mean just because he calls for the puck doesn't mean he's going to get it, and if the sound does call defenders' attention then that means their attention is being diverted from elsewhere. Imagine the center has the puck, Pulk taps his stick, then the center passes to the opposite winger who has an instant more of freedom than he normally would have because everyone is paying attention to the stick-tap.

Or imagine that the defense is aware of this "tell" that Teemu has so they're actively listening for the stick-tap, meanwhile he silently jumps into the slot one time and has an extra instant of freedom to score.

In any case the game happens so fast and so much can happen that I don't think the defense can reliably use the sound as an advantage, at least as long as Teemu is moving around and playing smart.

If anything I'd be more worried that he's so busy tapping that he's not ready to accept a quick pass. But that hasn't seemed to be a problem for him.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
I dont get it. A forward is aware of your presence without looking but the defenceman isnt? Honestly, feels like rubbish that you guys heard on far too many NHL commentators.

The defenceman for a start is already looking in the correct direction to see where Pulkinnen is and the guy driving the net probably isnt. So how does letting your forward know where you are make things worse?

This exactly. The defenseman is more likely to already know where you are than your teammate with the puck. Pulkkinen isn't the only player I've seen do this. Ovechkin and Subban do this on occasion. It's not a big deal unless it's a very frequent occurrence.

Flowah

Nov 30, 2009

That's why the best shooters learn to find the soft spots of the ice and get lost by the defensemen. They don't see them. You're never going to find those spots if you're constantly announcing yourself.

DanZ

Mar 6, 2008
That's why the best shooters learn to find the soft spots of the ice and get lost by the defensemen. They don't see them. You're never going to find those spots if you're constantly announcing yourself.

He doesn't constantly announce himself. Little bit of an exaggeration.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->