Ted, what is the matter with you?

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
BTCG

The whole Pens/Sens series has been terribly one sided. Even the Bs Rangers has been onsided almost as badly as Caps Rangers.

We can say that its a function of bad reffing but when certain teams repeatedly get the benefit of the doubt then eyebrows get raised.

In 09 the Caps Pens series was brutal starting in game 3. Pitt had like a 7 to 2 PP advantage and alot on suspicious calls. Overall it was 35-19 in that series and I still won't ever forget that phantom slashing call on #55 with 2 mins left in game 6.

Also someone needs to shed light on just why they held the Crosby draft behind closed doors? How did the Caps get so screwed by the convoluted system of pingpong balls they used?

People would be naive to believe the NHL doesn't fudge things. Sabres fans are still boiling over on the game 6 OT Hull goal in 99 or whatever.

The Rangers have not had to kill a penalty at home in over 8 periods of hockey. Despite numerous high sticks and blatent missed calls.

The NHL is being bold and not even trying to hide it. They have strong marketing incentive to see certain teams advance. Of that there is no doubt.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
The biggest sham I have seen in recent years was the affiliation between NBC and Pittsburgh. Its stronger than the Hershey Caps affiliation.

It's like a personal insurance policy for Mario.

At Ovi's absolute peak dominance in the NHL, they were still slurping away on Crosby. It's like they had a binding agreement to market that team and that team alone. The rest of the league bought in on Mario's plan to save the game.

The NHL's marketing plan is poorly thought out and ft. but one person and one team. Who knew the NHL be based out of Pittsburgh.

They pushed all in on Pitt while the best thing they had to market the league was Ovi, who was instead squashed by the league. When the league started trying to market him is when they suspended him for... being Ovi. They didn't market the best player to market, and then desperately tried to only after they changed his game. And only after Sid could not stay in the lineup.

And attempted a hogwash of foolish rule changes as well, trying to remove all physical aspects from the game. The visionary of which, remains anonymous. During a time when MMA and cage fighting became a popular sport. It was probably born on the thirst for violence vacuum created by the NHL cleaning changing the game. The NHL did not have a pulse of their fans, instead the pulse of those writing letters when they saw a high stick on the news. We became fans of the game that they felt needed to be changed.

What a bunch of imbeciles.

Last edited:

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
Pretty much the case RH.

Its not a coincidence to me that Mario and Bettmen devised something during the lockout. They seemed in it together.

Screwy ping bong ball draft system which happened to be held behind closed doors which happened to give the Penguins maximum odds of winning and which they happen to have won. No nothing suspicious about that at all...

Also somehow the Caps had a minimum chance in that draft. Penalized for winning the Ovechkin lottery which was held in the open. Mario was pissed about that too.

Mario makes a hissy fit about obstruction. Bettman and co. quickly enforce rules strictly.

Ovechkin threw a monkey wrench in the Crosby campaign machine. Mario was not happy.

Its not just paranoid Caps fans. Every fan base pretty much agrees that Pitt gets favorable officiating. We have seen it in each of their series so far.

Also is it a wonder why Pierre McGuire is slurping McDonough and Callahan so hard? You think he got the memo? His tirade the other night was embarrassing. NHL desperately wanted NY to advance.

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
Pretty much the case RH.

Its not a coincidence to me that Mario and Bettmen devised something during the lockout. They seemed in it together.

Screwy ping bong ball draft system which happened to be held behind closed doors which happened to give the Penguins maximum odds of winning and which they happen to have won. No nothing suspicious about that at all...

Also somehow the Caps had a minimum chance in that draft. Penalized for winning the Ovechkin lottery which was held in the open. Mario was pissed about that too.

Mario makes a hissy fit about obstruction. Bettman and co. quickly enforce rules strictly.

Ovechkin threw a monkey wrench in the Crosby campaign machine. Mario was not happy.

Its not just paranoid Caps fans. Every fan base pretty much agrees that Pitt gets favorable officiating. We have seen it in each of their series so far.

Also is it a wonder why Pierre McGuire is slurping McDonough and Callahan so hard? You think he got the memo? His tirade the other night was embarrassing. NHL desperately wanted NY to advance.

This is getting NBAish and that's not exactly a model I'd like to see the NHL emulate :shakehead

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Hmmm I should just glue the Capitals one ping pong ball down to the bottom

mario-lemieux-2002.jpg

#NeverForgetGould&Kreiger

Robert Theodorson

Apr 27, 2010
Washington DC
Hmmm I should just glue the Capitals one ping pong ball down to the bottom

mario-lemieux-2002.jpg

#NeverForgetGould&Kreiger

The Wizards are making out like bandits in the draft for the past couple of years.

Not sure I buy the conspiracy theories, the NBA is much dirtier, and Washington hasn't been relevant since the 70s minus Chris Webber and Gilbert "The Pistol" Arenas. for a few forgettable seasons.

ALLCAPSALLTHETIME

Great Dane! Love that Eller feller.
Oct 10, 2009
British Columbia, Canada
This is getting NBAish and that's not exactly a model I'd like to see the NHL emulate :shakehead

Where do you think Bettman cut his teeth?

Bettman joined the National Basketball Association in 1981, serving mainly in the marketing and legal departments.[9] Bettman rose to third in command of the NBA, spending many years as the league's general counsel and senior vice president.[10] Bettman played a key role in the development of the soft salary cap system implemented and agreed by the NBA in 1983,[11] a system it continues to use today.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bettman

Morgoth Bauglir

Master Of The Fates Of Arda
Aug 31, 2012
Angband via Utumno
Where do you think Bettman cut his teeth?

Bettman joined the National Basketball Association in 1981, serving mainly in the marketing and legal departments.[9] Bettman rose to third in command of the NBA, spending many years as the league's general counsel and senior vice president.[10] Bettman played a key role in the development of the soft salary cap system implemented and agreed by the NBA in 1983,[11] a system it continues to use today.[12]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gary_Bettman

I'm well aware of where he came from. I just never expected to see the NHL go the NBA's route where the league is rigged.

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011
Ted was never the best owner in town—that was an illusion. He talked a good game. He made promises and didn't deliver. Ted is a pathetic owner. The Caps team is a faithful reflection of the man.

When Ted was the "best owner in town", his competition was a relatively-new Lerners, Snyder at his nadir, and a dying Abe. "Least worst" would be a lot more accurate than "best" because all Ted had to do in that wilderness-for-everyone-else period was to merely win.

If you put Ted in Boston, he'd be the worst owner in town by a country mile. In New York, he'd be near the end of the pack in Johnson/Wilpon territory. Put Ted in Pittsburgh and if he's still alive after the Pens fans have their way he'd be equal to Nutting and FAR behind Mario and the Rooneys. This goes for most markets.

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
arent all the dc and baltimore owners horrible? skins havent won since jack kent cooke and cooke wanted to be sure the regime changed when he died.

am i wrong or didnt the nationals make their first playoffs a very capitals like collapse and choke?

if winning a championship is the only measure of a good owner, most suck.

Cynicaps

Aug 19, 2011
arent all the dc and baltimore owners horrible? skins havent won since jack kent cooke and cooke wanted to be sure the regime changed when he died.

Steve Bisciotti is the one that has never been horrible in some form as he is the only one that is truly competent. The Lerners are largely there if you look at the 2006-10 period as a necessary rebuild and that they had literally nothing going in because that franchise had legacy issues from the Expos days.

am i wrong or didnt the nationals make their first playoffs a very capitals like collapse and choke?

I see it more like the 2008 Caps. They fell behind, they had a player on the other team who seemingly had it out for them (Kozma = Briere), then had a unfortunate set of circumstances in the last game of the series.

if winning a championship is the only measure of a good owner, most suck.

Which good owners have never won a title? The list is pretty small I'd think: the Molsons, Vinick, going to other sports Arthur Blank and Arte Moreno. Otherwise...

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad