Ted, what is the matter with you?

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
I'd love to hire Brian Burke if I was the owner.
He'd immediately improve our prospect and depth chart in the 1st and 4th line.
This team would be as good as Pittsburgh with Brian Burke..

what do you base this on? what happened to burke in his most recent job? was that an immediate and brilliant success?

let me be clear. i am fine if mcphee is cut loose. i am fine with brian burke. that said, this is the same guy that made that kessel trade makes the erat trade trivial. how can someone say so strikingly what the guy would do?

what if he comes in and the caps struggle and the result is ron wilson?

Darkproducer

Mar 25, 2008
what do you base this on? what happened to burke in his most recent job? was that an immediate and brilliant success?

let me be clear. i am fine if mcphee is cut loose. i am fine with brian burke. that said, this is the same guy that made that kessel trade makes the erat trade trivial. how can someone say so strikingly what the guy would do?

what if he comes in and the caps struggle and the result is ron wilson?

at this point as Pejorative Slured as it sounds, even if the caps got worse for a while, i would rather have a diff gm. we just cant win the cup with gmgm. nothing else matters to me at the moment. he has had a loooooong time to win something besides the division, and starting next year i really doubt we win the division barring some trades in the offseason.

long story short, gmgm has proven he can not win a cup. let someone else prove something now. this organization could use the new face. and why not, new season, new alignment, and now a new gm(hopefully). sounds good to me. :help:

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Going back to Boswell's comment on OV embarrassing the NHL, I say "good". I'm glad OV said what he did, because anyone not wearing Rangers homer glasses could see that there was something fishy. The fact that Callahan received no discipline whatsoever for the elbow to Hillen has solidified my belief that the NHL is not impartial by an means.

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
Going back to Boswell's comment on OV embarrassing the NHL, I say "good". I'm glad OV said what he did, because anyone not wearing Rangers homer glasses could see that there was something fishy. The fact that Callahan received no discipline whatsoever for the elbow to Hillen has solidified my belief that the NHL is not impartial by an means.
You really think the NHL is going to be embarrassed by that? They are even more shameless about incompetence than the Washington Capitals, and this is an organization that isn't even embarrassed by not getting its players to show up in multiple Game 7s at home.

Ovechkin

Sep 14, 2005
Only a greedy sob would even dare bring this part up:

- Our season-ticket renewal rate this year was 96%. (We have been in the mid-to-high 90 percentile in recent years, and I’m extremely grateful for the incredible fan base we have in our region. It’s an important part of what helps shape our franchise.)

While we weren’t able to achieve our ultimate goal, we have established a solid foundation that gives me every reason to believe and be hopeful. We will spend the upcoming days, weeks and months examining 2013 and preparing for 2013-14.

We have earned a playoff berth nine of the last 13 seasons, and I never take qualifying for granted. We have reached a level of success, but by no means are we satisfied with that current level.

A "new level of success"? I guess that means another season of duping folks into buying tickets. AOL style at its finest.

Ted is basically saying, yeah the product is going to hell, but hey I'm making a boatload of money along the way so everything is cool! Way to give a middle finger to your fanbase.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
I don't know why some of you even bother reading what Ted writes. You're not going to like what he says. If you're waiting to hear him say the team choked and is filled with overpaid, lollygagging half-wits, you're always going to leave disappointed.

hb12xchamps

Dec 23, 2011
Pennsylvania
Ted sucks. He sees that the Wizards are failing and that he needs to make money elsewhere so hes fine with only making the playoffs. The most publicity the Wizards got this year was when Collins said he's gay. The most publicity they got last year was when Nick Young missed a wide open layup and it was the not top play on Sportscenter for awhile.

CapitalsCupReality

It’s Go Time!!
Feb 27, 2002

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
I wish Ted was a greedy sob. If he was, he might have the self-esteem to care and then realize that winning is the purpose of building an NHL team. But he comes at the Caps as a great philanthropist—he is facilitating a fun children's party and it doesn't matter, really, who wins. He has no personal interest in winning the Stanley Cup. He just likes to facilitate the Rock the Red party. Ted's motivation is to be loved for being so generous with his time and money—he doesn't personally love winning. I'm sure he can't conceive of a Caps fan being seriously unhappy with something like a losing hockey team. Ted is much too sophisticated to get stuck at the savage level of winning or losing. But, really, Ted is just another self-righteous fool.

Last edited:

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
And as it always happens to people who try to be loved for the wrong reasons:

Ted will end up hated, not loved.

Capsman

Nov 21, 2008
Does anybody honestly see this loser having what it takes it win it all?

http://tedstake.monumentalnetwork.com/successful-but-short-of-ultimate-goal/index.jsp

At 44 years of age, I am now in my 6th year of training to make it to the Olympics in the 200 and 400 yard freestyle swimming events. Not everyone can make it, but I keep working at it. Please continue to contribute to my training fund. Oh, by the way, I narrowly won a race recently at my local YMCA against some 60 and 70 year-olds.

kicksavedave

I'm just here for the memes and gifs.
Sponsor
Apr 29, 2009
Fallbrook, CA
www.tiasarms.org
Ted said:
While we weren’t able to achieve our ultimate goal, we have established a solid foundation that gives me every reason to believe and be hopeful. We will spend the upcoming days, weeks and months examining 2013 and preparing for 2013-14.

First, Hope is not a strategy. Second, he dismisses the ultimate goal as secondary to all those other nice things he talks about with such value. And in the end, he will achieve what he wants to achieve - lots of accolades for all those secondary things, and the Cup will elude him because his strategy to win the thing is largely based on hope, not an actual strategy. If there is a strategy, its basically "just get in every year and hope to get lucky". So I reiterate, hope is not a strategy.

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006

I've noted for years that, after doing the math, and arriving at the fact that some 98-99% of referees are consistently from the same country (Canada), the only way we'll ever be able to repair this problem is to open the ranks to refs from other countries (namely, those from European countries).

BUT.... we were unable to score in those final 2 games, and that has little bearing on the refereeing.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Interesting angle....

Red Refs FTW

Rock the Red... DC refs

What did you think i meant :laugh:

Brad Tolliver

Terror Goes Into
Feb 17, 2004
Overtime
First, Hope is not a strategy. Second, he dismisses the ultimate goal as secondary to all those other nice things he talks about with such value. And in the end, he will achieve what he wants to achieve - lots of accolades for all those secondary things, and the Cup will elude him because his strategy to win the thing is largely based on hope, not an actual strategy. If there is a strategy, its basically "just get in every year and hope to get lucky". So I reiterate, hope is not a strategy.
You underestimate the purchasing power of the stupid. Hope is Ted's greatest marketing tool.

For example, see Kuznetsov, Evgeny. The level of hype for someone who may never play a NHL game is simply sensational.

Stewie G

Needed more hitting!
Oct 19, 2009
Exhibit A. :laugh:

EroCaps

Aug 24, 2003
Virginia

It's what they've convinced themselves of. What losers they are. I mean they're epitome of the title pretender.

The fans who continue to support them are part of the problem.

BobRouse

Mar 18, 2009
I've noted for years that, after doing the math, and arriving at the fact that some 98-99% of referees are consistently from the same country (Canada), the only way we'll ever be able to repair this problem is to open the ranks to refs from other countries (namely, those from European countries).

BUT.... we were unable to score in those final 2 games, and that has little bearing on the refereeing.

You maybe onto something here BTCG...

Under Poile we had mainly a North American team for the most part. Sure towards the end he got some Euros in the mix but still we were mainly NA. During that stretch, I think it was some 15 years in a row, we ended up every year with MORE PPs than PKs. Under GMGM ..well this was the FIRST year we had more PP than PK..we were +1.

With GMGM we noticed a slight shift at first and then after a few years we had the Jagr/Lang/Nylander/Zubrus/Kucera/Bondra/Gonchar/Calle etc etc...then post fire sale we have a lot of Euros especially among our top players and our captain. Goalies (outside of Holtby) too.

And then some of our NA players ...Chimera and now Ribs seem to get under the skin of the stripes so that can't help.

If we look at the Penguins and Rangers (two teams who seem, at least, to get the benefit of the doubt) they are mainly NA players.

Something to think about.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Someone needs to hijack the refs twitter feeds and delete the hatemongers feeds e.g. Cherry and Milbury

#facked

hockey-brent

Sep 1, 2006
Winnipeg
At 44 years of age, I am now in my 6th year of training to make it to the Olympics in the 200 and 400 yard freestyle swimming events. Not everyone can make it, but I keep working at it. Please continue to contribute to my training fund. Oh, by the way, I narrowly won a race recently at my local YMCA against some 60 and 70 year-olds.

Wow keep trying, you'll win one yet! ;)

BTCG

Jun 16, 2006
You maybe onto something here BTCG...

Under Poile we had mainly a North American team for the most part. Sure towards the end he got some Euros in the mix but still we were mainly NA. During that stretch, I think it was some 15 years in a row, we ended up every year with MORE PPs than PKs. Under GMGM ..well this was the FIRST year we had more PP than PK..we were +1.

With GMGM we noticed a slight shift at first and then after a few years we had the Jagr/Lang/Nylander/Zubrus/Kucera/Bondra/Gonchar/Calle etc etc...then post fire sale we have a lot of Euros especially among our top players and our captain. Goalies (outside of Holtby) too.

And then some of our NA players ...Chimera and now Ribs seem to get under the skin of the stripes so that can't help.

If we look at the Penguins and Rangers (two teams who seem, at least, to get the benefit of the doubt) they are mainly NA players.

Something to think about.

My Mom is here for a little vacation (she lives in the Monroe Michigan area). She's the world's biggest Derek Jeter/Yankees fan, so we took her to Camden Yards last night to see the Yankees play the Orioles.

On the way home, we listened to the Ottawa Senator's post game radio show on XM, and I was a bit shocked by the commentary.

One of the announcers was an apologist for the league and the officials, the other announcer wasn't pulling any punches: he was blasting the officials and went on blasting them, citing example after example, for 40 minutes while I drove back home.

As I noted, I didn't see last night's Pens/Sens game, but I was treated to some pretty good explanations of one-sided refereeing by this one Sen's announcer.

I have never heard an announcer go on and on for so long and also to do it in such a cogent and detailed manner. The other announcer was trying to shut him up, but he was having no part of it.

So, it's not just Cap fans who are having issue with the league and its refs.

AND... for anyone scoffing at it, just explain one thing to me:

The league NHL commercial always shows the previous season's Cup winning team celebrating when they win the Stanley Cup.

How is it the Red Wings won the Cup in the 2007/08 season, yet a video of Sidney Crosby and the Pens celebrating was used on the 2008/09 league commercial?

The Red Wings win the Cup, but the losing team is featured, and featured in a manner that makes it appear that THEY won????

I'd like that explained to me by one of these league apologists.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad