Ted, what is the matter with you?

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Exactly, still no response to the point of the post.

Reminder Ovechkin will be 30 in 2014-2015, Steve Yzerman was 32 when he won his first cup.

Steve Yzerman committed to playing defense. Do you expect Ovie to do that? I love Ovie but he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. I hate to say it but Yzerman was a much better player than Ovie.

But Ovie is good enough to lead a Stanley Cup team. But a GM will have to build that team. Not even Gretzky and Orr were good enough to win on their own.

If you like George, you're entitled to your opinion.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I'd love to hire Brian Burke if I was the owner.
He'd immediately improve our prospect and depth chart in the 1st and 4th line.
This team would be as good as Pittsburgh with Brian Burke.

Steve Yzerman committed to playing defense. Do you expect Ovie to do that? I love Ovie but he doesn't have a defensive bone in his body. I hate to say it but Yzerman was a much better player than Ovie.

Can't agree more.

sillygoose

Jan 15, 2009

But Ovie is good enough to lead a Stanley Cup team. But a GM will have to build that team. Not even Gretzky and Orr were good enough to win on their own.

If you like George, you're entitled to your opinion.
I didn't say anything about Yzerman as a player, was merely using him as a player who led a dynasty, and didn't win his first cup till he's 32. To act like Ovechkin never has a chance with the team GMGM has built going into the future is laughable. Will they win it this year, probably not. This isn't there year, that isn't the worst thing in the world. They have a future, and you refuse to even acknowledge it, it's hilarious. And again, we are still a year and a half away from Ovechkin being 30, he'll never be a Selke candidate, but he's a winger who gives a ****.

The Caps are 2-4 years away from cups, but they will come, and GMGM built the team. It's not worth throwing away because they want to chase the cup this year, or because Pitt might win this year. It's petty to think that way, think about what's best for the Caps to win multiple cups, and that's just how GMGM is is GM'n.

msrulo

Feb 3, 2013
Toronto, ON
I didn't say anything about Yzerman as a player, was merely using him as a player who led a dynasty, and didn't win his first cup till he's 32. To act like Ovechkin never has a chance with the team GMGM has built going into the future is laughable. Will they win it this year, probably not. This isn't there year, that isn't the worst thing in the world. They have a future, and you refuse to even acknowledge it, it's hilarious. And again, we are still a year and a half away from Ovechkin being 30, he'll never be a Selke candidate, but he's a winger who gives a ****.

The Caps are 2-4 years away from cups, but they will come, and GMGM built the team. It's not worth throwing away because they want to chase the cup this year, or because Pitt might win this year. It's petty to think that way, think about what's best for the Caps to win multiple cups, and that's just how GMGM is is GM'n.

Caps need to hire this drill instructor.

g00n

Retired Global Mod
Nov 22, 2007
Exactly, still no response to the point of the post.

Reminder Ovechkin will be 30 in 2014-2015, Steve Yzerman was 32 when he won his first cup.

What's the point of this comparison? Are you saying that the Caps need to hire Scotty Bowman as coach and co-GM and add a TON of talent and toughness to break out of a long period of futility similar to what the Red Wings faced? Because one player does not win a Cup, and the Wings did not become a dynasty until they did those things, including changing GMs.

If you're advocating another 5 year plan and putting all your faith in GMGM, and citing Yzerman and the wings as proof, you have no right to be calling anyone else "ignorant" for merely questioning your opinion.

RandyHolt

Keep truckin'
Nov 3, 2006
Teds Tuck and Duck

A blog post commending the rangers thanking Oates teams and fans for a fine year and we cant wait to get back to work next year

BiPolar Caps

Feb 9, 2010
NOVA
Teds Tuck and Duck

A blog post commending the rangers thanking Oates teams and fans for a fine year and we cant wait to get back to work next year

Yes Caps fans we are disappointed but as long as you buy Caps merchandise, continue to come to the arena and pay $8 for a beer, all is well.

Atlas

Sep 7, 2004
Ted was never the best owner in town—that was an illusion. He talked a good game. He made promises and didn't deliver. Ted is a pathetic owner. The Caps team is a faithful reflection of the man.

Another year of Ovechkin burned. He'll be 30 years old soon.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
:biglaugh: Ted's wiki page

LOL!!

gold-jerry-kenny-bania.jpg

Langway

In den Wolken
Jul 7, 2006
http://www.washingtonpost.com/sport...b91b26-bcbc-11e2-97d4-a479289a31f9_story.html
When you have an owner who acts like a teddy bear, who wants to be loved by his players and who only talks tough when somebody criticizes his beloved employees, what do you expect? His years of country-club attitude create the atmosphere where Ovechkin can embarrass the NHL and the Caps by telling a Russian reporter, “The refereeing . . . how can there be no penalties at all [on one team] during the playoffs? I am not saying there was a phone call from [the league], but someone just wanted Game 7. For the ratings. The lockout . . . the league needs to make profit.” (What, no KGB?)

When you have a general manager who has been in his job 16 years but hasn’t been to the Stanley Cup finals since his first year and that GM builds teams designed to win in the regular season and fill up the rink for his boss but not to weather the demands of the playoffs, why would you think he’s going to win it all?...

The Caps will continue to be the Caps, their value marked to a theoretical model in ownership’s mind, not to the harsh market testing of actual results.
Boswell is off on Holtby/Neuvirth's numbers but overall on point.

Edit: Read it wrong. It's an awkward way of putting it.

Last edited:

NobodyBeatsTheWiz

Happy now?
Jun 26, 2004
The Burbs
The teddy bear mentality isn't the problem. Bisciotti's the same way. He wants to be loved by all the players and staff. The difference is, Bisciotti's got one of the best two or three GMs in the sport, and Leonsis has blind loyalty to a slightly better than mediocre one.

Chokingdogs

Apr 18, 2006
i can agree with most of what TB wrote, with the exception here...

In the worst blame-shirking, it’s the day for Ovechkin to insinuate without any evidence that the referees or the NHL itself shafted the Caps to get a profitable Game 7.

that's not entirely accurate, and there is evidence, albeit nothing more than circumstantial statistics.

what changed with the rangers overall play, after they were down 2 games to zip, to go from a team averaging 5 penalties against in 1 & 2, to a team that only merited an average of 1.8 penalties against the final 5 games?

NoMoreChoking

Sep 30, 2009
Hire me for GM, I can work for 15 years and pump out a team that fails in the playoffs every year, for only 100k a year.

I think Ted rather have that for his wallet

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad