Ted Lindsay: Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, and Sidney Crosby

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
At first I thought it was odd to see Crosby on this list, but considering what the Penguins were able to accomplish in the regular season while a ton of their top guys missed injuries, I think it makes some sense. But at the same time, I think that's more of an argument for the Hart than an argument for the Lindsay.

It's a moot point because Crosby will be in a distant 3rd, and I'd guess the difference between 2nd and 3rd is larger than the difference between 3rd and 10th.

bobholly39

Mar 10, 2013
Whoa - surprised to see Crosby here. 1 and 2 seemed obvious - number 3 more up for debate, but i could have seen Drai there.

I figured Crosby would do better in Hart voting

nowhereman

Jan 24, 2010
Los Angeles
Good choices. This is what I see the Hart race looking like, as well.

Mind you, "race" might not be the best word, since McDavid lapped the field.

North Cole

♧ Lem
Jan 22, 2017
About what most people predicted in the poll.

I'll stick with,
McDavid
Matthews
Crosby

Both Patrick Kane and Leon Draisaitl had better seasons than Crosby.

McDavid was 5th last year when Drai won, I think Drai will probably be 5th this year behind Mack and Marchand. Or 6th if Kane is above him. No way they should be top 3 together.

Kane isn't top 3 because he missed the playoffs. Same thing that happened to McDavid the year Hall won.

Edit - sorry was thinking about the Hart. The point still stands that McDavid wasn't top 3 in Pearson last year despite being 2nd in points and near the same PPG. Players seem to recognize what Crosby did with how many man games they lost. Interesting monkey wrench for the group that thinks hart voting is shit and the players get it right more often... since that is the consensus top 3 in the Hart poll a while back.

Last edited:

Empoleon8771

Aug 25, 2015
Redmond, WA
Both Patrick Kane and Leon Draisaitl had better seasons than Crosby.

Kane had 4 more points in 1 more game, while Crosby was massively better defensively. Not sure I buy that one. Kane's analytics this year were legitimately bad.

I'd probably agree on Draisaitl, but it's hard to evaluate him in isolation just because he plays with McDavid.

Llamamoto

Nice Bison. Kind Bison. Yep.
Sep 5, 2018
Kane had 4 more points in 1 more game, while Crosby was massively better defensively. Not sure I buy that one. Kane's analytics this year were legitimately bad.

I'd probably agree on Draisaitl, but it's hard to evaluate him in isolation just because he plays with McDavid.

I didn't realize Crosby's production was that close to Kane's, in that case I can get him being ranked ahead.

Draisaitl didn't play the entire season with McDavid, he spend a lot of time in between Kahun/Yamamoto/Nuge, and he finished on pace for ~30 extra points over the whole season. Combined with his much-improved defensive play, I would have him pretty comfortably ranked ahead of Crosby.

ESH

Jun 19, 2011
I think a guy like Fox or one the Vezina finalists would have been a better choice than Crosby

dalewood12

Oct 9, 2017
Did not expect Sid to appear over Marchand, Kane or MacKinnon. Still, it shouldn't be surprising. As a veteran, he was the player that an entire generation of junior players was trying to emulate, and the admiration is clearly still there.

Still, the Lindsay is McDavid's to lose.

I wonder if Sid could get a surprise Selke nomination?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
I always wished they'd release the total votes each player received. Especially this year, since McDavid winning the Hart unanimously seems possible, would be interesting to see how his Lindsay results compare to how many Hart votes he gets.

Reactions: bobholly39

SPLBRUIN

Mar 21, 2010
Good thing this award dosen't include the playoffs. Disappointed not to see Marchand in there, though I understand why Crosby got the nod over him. McDavid was a no-brainer, not a fan at all of Matthews, but the media hype pretty well assured he would get a nod, it helped to be able to beat up on the weak Northern Division.

ER89

Jul 25, 2018
As a leaf fan I hope matthews doesn't win it. p***y. Don't need him resting on his regular season laurels.

Reactions: GreeningOil

DannyGallivan

Your world frightens and confuses me
Aug 25, 2017
Melonville
Interesting that they were all massive disappointments in the playoffs this year. Almost makes you wonder if they should factor that into decision for the finalists/winner. After all, what good is a great regular season if you are totally shut down in the playoffs?

Beau Knows

Mar 4, 2013
Canada
Interesting that they were all massive disappointments in the playoffs this year. Almost makes you wonder if they should factor that into decision for the finalists/winner. After all, what good is a great regular season if you are totally shut down in the playoffs?

Well there's already a playoff MVP award, so I'm not sure that turning all other existing awards into that makes any sense.

Reactions: tarheelhockey

filinski77

Feb 12, 2017
Draisaitl and Marchand got robbed hard for a finalist position here. Both were better than Crosby.

Could make the argument for Barkov/Stone too who were pretty much the same offensively, but better defensively.

McDavid will be the runaway winner.

Pass the Saitl Sauce

Apr 30, 2015
Votes are supposed to be submitted before the playoffs even begin no? How do you include playoffs if they haven’t even began

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad