Speculation: Teams will be reluctant to move 2020 1st rounders

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
There is no 'going rate'. He paid (hopefully) what he was comfortable parting with.
An approach that would have retained the 1st would have been preferable.
If you believe there was absolutely no other way he could have been moved then there is no point trying to come up with alternative ways.
It is ok not to agree with every move the GM makes.
No there is a going rate it is whatever Carolina was demanding since Marleau refused to go anywhere else he was wanted.

Obviously it would have been preferable to not have made the trade but that was what was on the table. Trade Marleau for a protected 1st or stick with him for another year and cut 6.25m in cap space.

I do atleast agree with you that we certainly do not have to agree with every move the GM makes. I haven't liked some of his moves but the amount of ridiculous crap he gets criticized for makes our fanbase look like complete muppets. Mind you we don't need Dubas around to achieve that normally.

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
Last June they were tracking 16/17 yr olds who were going to be eligible for a draft taking place a yr later. They were impressed with the skill,talent and depth of that group.

The article I posted in this thread was a recent one,with scouts giving recent opinons. It's not like the link I provided is using scouting opinions are from last season.

Like I said, we have heard this before. Could be true, could be false.

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
No there is a going rate it is whatever Carolina was demanding since Marleau refused to go anywhere else he was wanted.

Obviously it would have been preferable to not have made the trade but that was what was on the table. Trade Marleau for a protected 1st or stick with him for another year and cut 6.25m in cap space.

I do atleast agree with you that we certainly do not have to agree with every move the GM makes. I haven't liked some of his moves but the amount of ridiculous crap he gets criticized for makes our fanbase look like complete muppets. Mind you we don't need Dubas around to achieve that normally.
I don't believe there was only ever one option. I don't like the option Dubas settled on.
I do understand that it could turn out to not be a big deal in the future but I also understand that a 1st at this deadline would have been a great chip to have.

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Like I said, we have heard this before. Could be true, could be false.

In Friedman's latest article, Zajac was recently asked to waive and he thinks it was for Lou & the isles. Gonna guess the isles scouts are among those who do think this is a very strong draft and are not looking to move a 2020 11st for a short term addition .

Habs Halifax

Loyal Habs Fan
Jul 11, 2016
East Coast
In Friedman's latest article, Zajac was recently asked to waive and he thinks it was for Lou & the isles. Gonna guess the isles scouts are among those who do think this is a very strong draft and are not looking to move a 2020 11st for a short term addition .

Normal operations from year to year

txpd

Jan 25, 2003
New Bern, NC
Non lottery picks, sure. A team like a Boston, WAS, or CO will part with a pick in the mid late 20's if they think it will give them a Cup.

Pretty sure that its company policy now with the Capitals that they don't trade their first round picks

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
That would be wise, but they could be a fave to win a Cup with another weapon. It's all about the Cups.

topshelf15

May 5, 2009
Meh a 20 something ,isnt as great a loss as some have painted here...Team also have pressures to win ,aging and expensive cores ,escalating player salaries ..Team profitability etc etc....People put far far too much stock in late 1st rounders

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad