Speculation: Teams will be reluctant to move 2020 1st rounders

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Reading up on the strength of the 2020 nhl entry draft, leads me to think teams will be very reluctant to move their 2020 1st rounders.

2020 NHL Entry Draft Top 125: Alexis Lafrenière, Quinton Byfield continue to lead the pack
Another measuring stick is depth at a certain position. The 2019 class was assessed as strong for centers and goaltenders. This year’s group has a solid mix of game-breakers at all three forward positions — meaning a team picking in the late first round can still come away with a prospect that has legitimate point-producing potential. This group can also help teams looking for right-handed defensemen, especially those with high hockey IQ and playmaking abilities.
As the NHL continues to emphasize speed, smarts and creativity, expect the first two rounds of this draft to be loaded with prospects who can meet the requirements of today’s fast-paced game.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
Non lottery picks, sure. A team like a Boston, WAS, or CO will part with a pick in the mid late 20's if they think it will give them a Cup.

Reactions: Altimus

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002
1. Dubas had to make the move to field an actual NHL roster and move the dumpster deal that Lou left him with on Marleau.

2. The trade is a conditional 1st so if the pick ends up being lottery we retain the right to keep it regardless.

1. You never want to be in the position where you 'had to'. By maxing the cap, he 'had to'.

2. Still currency that's spent. If they chose to be a deadline buyer that's a chip that is already spent.

57special

Posting the right way since 2012.
Sep 5, 2012
MN
I don't see this draft as being any stronger than last year's. Drysdale is Byram. I think I'd take Soderstrom, Broberg, and Seider over the top 3 Dmen in this draft.

A Caufield at 15 is at least as good a bet as, say, a Foudy. Would you rather have a Zegras, or a Holtz? Guhle better than Harley? And so on.

A lot depends on what Perfetti and Rossi can do once they play against men. Will their size matter? Will they be able to play C in the NHL? They both look great in the CHL, but I wonder if that is going to be the highlight of their careers.

I do love Lafreniere, but after that? Nothing screams amazing to me. Askarov was supposed to be the next great goalie, but laid an egg in the WJC, at least delaying that narrative.

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
I don't see this draft as being any stronger than last year's. Drysdale is Byram. I think I'd take Soderstrom, Broberg, and Seider over the top 3 Dmen in this draft.

A Caufield at 15 is at least as good a bet as, say, a Foudy. Would you rather have a Zegras, or a Holtz? Guhle better than Harley? And so on.

A lot depends on what Perfetti and Rossi can do once they play against men. Will their size matter? Will they be able to play C in the NHL? They both look great in the CHL, but I wonder if that is going to be the highlight of their careers.

I do love Lafreniere, but after that? Nothing screams amazing to me. Askarov was supposed to be the next great goalie, but laid an egg in the WJC, at least delaying that narrative.
Every year people talk about how this year is the best. Remember how Hughes and Kakko were going to be game breakers?

tony d

Jun 23, 2007
Behind A Tree
Lafreniere's the best prospect in the draft since Mcdavid so there's that. There's some good talent in this draft for sure but I can't imagine there'll be a higher reluctance to move picks this year over other years.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

CREW99AW

Mar 12, 2002
Every year people talk about how this year is the best. Remember how Hughes and Kakko were going to be game breakers?
No,but I do recall the nyi passing on Parise at 15th overall and some of my fellow NYI fans having to be pulled off the ledge, while saying Parise was going to be a stud.

Scouts are saying there will be high end talent, as late as the 2nd round in the 2020 draft.
The ONLY way I would want my team's 2020 1st traded was if we were receiving a mid 20 something yr old, who was a top 6 forward and several yrs from unrestricted free agency.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad

-->