Speculation: Teams will be reluctant to move 2020 1st rounders

Mez

Nov 16, 2017
You've determined that they wont be based on 3 months of play on **** teams at 18 years old?
No I didn't m an they are busts...just that they were talked about like they would be immediate game changers. They certainly could be still.

WingsMJN2965

Oct 13, 2017
No,but I do recall the nyi passing on Parise at 15th overall and some of my fellow NYI fans having to be pulled off the ledge, while saying Parise was going to be a stud.

Scouts are saying there will be high end talent, as late as the 2nd round in the 2020 draft.
The ONLY way I would want my team's 2020 1st traded was if we were receiving a mid 20 something yr old, who was a top 6 forward and several yrs from unrestricted free agency.

You think that's bad, imagine being a Boston fan in 2015. Picked one Top 6 forward and two busts and the three after that could make up 60% of a top line.

f***ed up thing is they're still good. They'd be lined up for multiple Cups in the coming years if they hadn't flubbed that.

BrainyBomber

Apr 1, 2018
1. You never want to be in the position where you 'had to'. By maxing the cap, he 'had to'.

2. Still currency that's spent. If they chose to be a deadline buyer that's a chip that is already spent.
Who put Toronto in that position? It was Lou by signing Marleau to that ridiculous 3 year contract. Dubas was cleaning up his mess.

Blaming Dubas for maxing the cap is also absurd. Talent costs money. We all knew even before Dubas was hired that we would be in a cap crunch now.

Reactions: LeafsNation75

quackquackquack

Oct 10, 2012
Who put Toronto in that position? It was Lou by signing Marleau to that ridiculous 3 year contract. Dubas was cleaning up his mess.

Blaming Dubas for maxing the cap is also absurd. Talent costs money. We all knew even before Dubas was hired that we would be in a cap crunch now.

LOL what? Cap and Asset Management is a huge part of being a general manager in a sport with a hard cap. Sorry to break it to you. As a GM, you need to have the foresight to see when you are going to be tight to the cap vs assets on hand vs assets in the system. Dubas has had minimal foresight into his team's situation:

The Leafs are up against the cap.
Their forward cap number only decreases $3M next year and they have 4 players to resign/bring up
They will have roughly $8M to resign Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott, Ceci or fill out D corp accordingly
Michael Hutchinson is the back up at 700K

Everyone with a brain can look at this and realize Dubas is in deep shit if this team doesn't perform this year. He'll be forced to make changes to the core of a roster that has repeatedly failed in the playoffs with little wiggle room money wise

Reactions: DingDongCharlie

ACC1224

Super Elite, Passing ALL Tests since 2002
Aug 19, 2002

He's the GM that signed the contracts, no idea how he wouldn't be the one accountable for them.

danielpalfredsson

youtube dot com /watch?v=CdqMZ_s7Y6k
Aug 14, 2013
The exact same thing happened last year.

Only two rentals received 1st round picks, Duchene and Hayes. Duchene was a center who was on pace for 95 points. So it's similar to how Hall received a 1st this year, but that doesn't mean the next batch of rentals will also get one.

From this point, it wouldn't shock me if we saw no more first round picks moved for rentals this season. I think we're going to see a lot more of those 2nd+future 2nd, 2nd+3rd, 2nd+B Prospect type packages that we saw last season.

I could see the few teams that will be in a position to move a 1st instead trading for players with term left.

Reactions: Peat

Kamiccolo

Truly wonderful, the mind of a child is.
Aug 30, 2011
Undisclosed research facility
LOL what? Cap and Asset Management is a huge part of being a general manager in a sport with a hard cap. Sorry to break it to you. As a GM, you need to have the foresight to see when you are going to be tight to the cap vs assets on hand vs assets in the system. Dubas has had minimal foresight into his team's situation:

The Leafs are up against the cap.
Their forward cap number only decreases $3M next year and they have 4 players to resign/bring up
They will have roughly $8M to resign Muzzin, Barrie, Dermott, Ceci or fill out D corp accordingly
Michael Hutchinson is the back up at 700K

Everyone with a brain can look at this and realize Dubas is in deep **** if this team doesn't perform this year. He'll be forced to make changes to the core of a roster that has repeatedly failed in the playoffs with little wiggle room money wise

I mean you make it sound like the Leafs have a team of Clarkson's lmfao. If he wanted to move Nylander, Marner, or Matthews there would be 30 other teams making a call and he'd completely retool with 1 big trade if he wanted to go that way.

nzoilerfan

May 18, 2011
Some have said EDM would move their 1st rd pick but highly doubt that happens with Ken Holland clearly stating the goal is to build long term while trying to be competitive in the interim. He's looking to not lose a high end player in the upcoming expansion and have a good stock of cap space and draft picks for 2021. Aim to be a cup contender then. With the depth of this draft, the amound of high end skill projected to be available in the 15-30 range there won't be many looking to deal even their second rounders this coming draft and the 2021 draft is also showing lots of promise for a strong top 15 picks as well.

Lil Sebastian Cossa

Opinions are share are my own personal opinions.
Jul 6, 2012
Teams have been reluctant to trade 1sts since the cap came in. When there was no cap, teams traded firsts like candy.

Patagonia

Keep Whining
Jan 6, 2017
2017 Draft was considered among the worst in years:
  • Excellent - Hischier, Heiskanen, Makar & EP
  • Very Good - Thomas, Suzuki, Joki, Necas, Comtois, Texier and Chytil
Depends on the draft position and team.

Deuce Awesome

Feb 23, 2010
For every 2015 there are three or four 2012's.

...in fairness though I have been hearing this year is a good one for a couple years now. Maybe thats just because of Lafreniere supposedly being the next big thing.

Its rare you get a continuous stream of good players after the top 10. Playoff bound teams are in the 20+ range; so if you can add a piece go for it.

I had to eat crow when Hayes landed a first last year though. This year will be the same.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
we haven't even come close to the deadline and what 3 teams have already traded their first rounders (san jose losing theirs to Ottawat)?
I'm sure there will be another 2-3 teams that will trade away their first for some legit help at the TDL. Lot's of teams still thinking they are in the playoff race in the East may do something rash.

Robtom18

Nov 25, 2019
2017 Draft was considered among the worst in years:
  • Excellent - Hischier, Heiskanen, Makar & EP
  • Very Good - Thomas, Suzuki, Joki, Necas, Comtois, Texier and Chytil
Depends on the draft position and team.
Thomas is only 2 points behind Nico and played a pivital role in the Stanley cup. So he should be in the excellent category.

Wingsfan 4 life

Oct 9, 2016
Not sure if I'd call it reluctance, but I think we'll see more 1sts with conditions attached than we've seen in the past.

I guess reluctant to trade them outright.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
for me the top 20 of this yrs draft is really good and a team can pick a really usable player ...... a player who can be important .

405Exit

Mar 15, 2018
Outside of being chastised by HF boards, I been harping on this draft for almost 6 months here being amazing. Now proof is in the pudding with media talking about it. Now HF boards sees this draft as the real deal. Who would have thunk it.

Anaheim re negotiates with Rangers for their first rounder for Hampus Lindholm. Anaheim calls Boston to see what there plans are for their first as well.

Let the magic happen. Because Anaheim is gonna find a Duo of Getzlaf and Perry again in this stud of a draft.

Btown

Oct 1, 2011
I mean you make it sound like the Leafs have a team of Clarkson's lmfao. If he wanted to move Nylander, Marner, or Matthews there would be 30 other teams making a call and he'd completely retool with 1 big trade if he wanted to go that way.

Very good point.
Think he trades any of those players for say defensive help?
I wouldn’t mind hearing some possible “big trade” ideas if you have any?

CBJWerenski8

Formerly CBJWennberg10 (RIP Kivi)
Jun 13, 2009
Jarmo has said the CBJ won't be trading our first this year.

1:15

We have only had one first round pick in the last three years.

Reactions: PuckerUpDude

Flyer lurker

Feb 16, 2019
The exact same thing happened last year.

Only two rentals received 1st round picks, Duchene and Hayes. Duchene was a center who was on pace for 95 points. So it's similar to how Hall received a 1st this year, but that doesn't mean the next batch of rentals will also get one.

From this point, it wouldn't shock me if we saw no more first round picks moved for rentals this season. I think we're going to see a lot more of those 2nd+future 2nd, 2nd+3rd, 2nd+B Prospect type packages that we saw last season.

I could see the few teams that will be in a position to move a 1st instead trading for players with term left.
For the pending free agents Krieder could get a 1 from bruins and MAYBE pens. 1 3 and good roster player is what ranger fans want and I think disappointment is coming. Pageau someone always thinks they are a 2 way center away from cup and will overpay. Toffoli no shot at 1 unless gm is stupid. Vatanan is wild card. One defensemen injury on contender and his value will rise.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad