Speculation: Teams inquiring about Nathan Beaulieu : Used as bait for a top 6 LW ?

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Don't know about that one. I might keep Beaulieu instead.

I've seen McCabe play enough, he's already really solid defensively and he skates well (and moves the puck up well). I think a guy like Weber could mold him into a heck of a player.

I watched all of USA's game at the WC, he didnt look out of place at all.

Also McCabe is signed to a cap friendly contract for the next 3 years, Beaulieu's gonna be an RFA after this season.

Last edited:

Boud

Dec 27, 2011
I've seen McCabe play enough, he's already really solid defensively and he skates well (and moves the puck up well). I think he'd a guy like Weber could mold him into a heck of a player.

I watched all of USA's game at the WC, he didnt look out of place at all.

I don't see why Buffalo would do that trade to get Beaulieu.

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
I don't see why Buffalo would do that trade to get Beaulieu.

I mean they make the trade if they think Beaulieu is an upgrade on McCabe for their top 4, Beaulieu probably has more offensive upside but McCabe is solid defensively.

Honestly i think a Beaulieu for McCabe swap is probably fair straight up, i added the pick just because Beaulieu probably has a bit more upside. McCabe is the safer player of the 2 tho.

If i was a real GM i'd push for McCabe + like a 3rd but i'd settle for McCabe + late pick or McCabe straight up. The pick isnt a deal breaker for me.

glenbuis

Sep 17, 2012
Well because last time that happened, they traded our franchise elite defenseman "listening to offers" when he should have said he is unavailable... And the hockey world is highly divided wether he made a good hockey trade or he screwed up the Habs' defense for many years.

So him listening to offers doesn't occur to anyone who watched Beaulieu play so far as much of a thing to rejoice. Sure he's doing his job, but he hasn't been doing it amazingly this summer.

oh right. the last time we traded our franchise elite defenceman we picked up a guy who can make team canada. i like beaulieu but if hes in a package to upgrade (ie. lindholm) that would be good as well.

Liferleafer

TSN Scrum Lurker
Feb 9, 2011
If we can add DD for a salary cap dumd I would think about this one.

2nd...
DD...
Emelin...

:laugh:

No offense, but I think its the first time I see two mistakes in a single name

None taken...i was to lazy to look it up on my phone, and i'm not French.:laugh:

KGL

Auston 3:16
Sep 5, 2014
If we can add DD for a salary cap dumd I would think about this one.

2nd...
DD...
Emelin...

No offense, but I think its the first time I see two mistakes in a single name

Not enough for JVR. Beaulieu is a #4 D man at best. DD is of no real value to the Leafs. A #4 + 2nd isn't a good deal for a top line LW.

Mikos87

Mar 19, 2002
Visit site
Colin Wilson for Nathan Beaulieu is a trade that helps both teams.

Maybe the Habs system allows for guys like Sergachev top step in with the depth options being able to handle some minutes,

TT1

May 31, 2013
Montreal
Colin Wilson for Nathan Beaulieu is a trade that helps both teams.

Maybe the Habs system allows for guys like Sergachev top step in with the depth options being able to handle some minutes,

i've always been a fan of Wilson so value-wise i'd do that trade.. but sadly that would leave us with no LHDs (unless Serge is ready to step in) and we can't take on Wilson's caphit.

Stormcrow

Jul 5, 2010
Again as others have said this doesn't make sense. Habs would be weak on the left side. Sergachev should be on the right side.
Habs also have some cap issues so anyone coming back would have to be at roughly the same cap hit unless other players are included(DD?).
I think this also doesn't make sense since if they sign Russell he isnt what the Habs need on their top 4. Shot blocking is nice but bringing the puck if the ice is nice too :)
I think this is something to get GM MB back into the news cycle....

rockinghockey

Oct 22, 2008
Per François Gagnon in his column on RDS, Marc Bergevin has received calls from other teams inquiring about Nathan Beaulieu.

Gagnon states that the rookie camp held this weekend will determine a lot of what management think Beaulieu's role is in comparison to new rookie project Mikhail Sergachev.

Gagnon adds that Beaulieu could be used as bait to bring in a top 6 LW, Canadiens being thin at that position.

Beaulieu servira-t-il d'appât ?

I honestly think this is a horrible idea, but as a first thread I started, I think, I'm wondering what would teams' fans offer for Nathan Beaulieu to bring in 2nd line LW to Montréal ?

Very important to specify that this is all in the hypothesis Sergachev is the star of training camp and management belives he's ready for the biggest role of top pairing defenseman, making Beaulieu's position with the team compromised.

I see Beaulieu being worth a low end 2nd line winger

Boxscore

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 22, 2007
This has Beaulieu for Benoit Pouliot and a pick written all over it...

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
The Leaf and Habs are on complete opposite ends of the results spectrum in the last few years. Habs went 4 and 0 last year againts the Leafs. Habs went 4 and 0 the year before against the Leafs. But kudos to the Leafs for having a nice shiny management team I guess.

Will things be different in a few years? We'll see, but for now my apologies if I think it's pretty hilarious to hear Leafs fans criticizing anything Montreal.

Subban traded for Weber!
(Drop the mike)

DANTHEMAN1967

Aug 10, 2016
Everyone has a right to criticize them. And I have a right to defend them and give them credit where it's due. Results show that this team's management has done an excellent job, with last year being largely attributable to injury. Not many teams have done better than Montreal in the last 4-5 years.

My only major knock on them last year is not having a qualified NHL backup. They fixed that now.

I can't wait for the season to start. I'm very confident about this group of players and management.

Mmm... you gotta love that Koolaid!

CharlesHabsFan

Jun 28, 2012
Sherbrooke, QC

What kind of LW do you expect for Beaulieu?

I don't even know if I'd trade Pouliot for him, given the number of LD the Oilers have.

Oilers don't need LDs, so obviously no fan would trade for Beaulieu, whatever the return is. We don't want Pouliot, he's got no consistancy and we shipped him out.

Nichuskin was a favorable return. Habs would most likely be looking for a team that actually needs a LD. Otherwise it's just a bunch of crappy offers because the other team doesn't need him. Beaulieu has more value than fans who don't need LDs let on.

And it has been said many many times in this thread that Beaulieu can be packaged. JVR is an example, some Hab fans willing to package Beaulieu + low 1st / 2nd for JVR. Leafs don't need LD though. But that's the kind of deal that can be expected for a legit 2nd line LW.

Thomas Tatar for Nathan Beaulieu.

I would be all for that, it could benefit both teams. Not sure if it needs tweaking around.

Last edited:

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad